Nelson Mandela, South African Icon of Peaceful Resistance, Is Dead

User

9153707_448x252.jpg

JOHANNESBURG — Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president and an enduring icon of the struggle against racial oppression, died on Thursday, the government announced, leaving the nation without its moral center at a time of growing dissatisfaction with the country’s leaders.

“Our nation has lost its greatest son,” President Jacob Zuma said in a televised address on Thursday night, adding that Mr. Mandela had died at 8:50 p.m. local time. “His humility, his compassion and his humanity earned him our love.”

Mr Zuma said that South Africa’s thoughts were with Mr. Mandela’s family. “They have sacrificed much and endured much so that our people could be free,” he said.

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/world/africa/nelson-mandela.html?hp&_r=0

At this time I'm at a loss for words. Mandela is perhaps the most influential person of the late 20th century. It is shown when even many stateside are mourning his tragic loss.

May he rest in peace, while we embrace the legacy he left behing that will follow for generations now and ahead.

After reading the reports of his frail condition over the past few months, this was coming. But this doesn't change how sad this is. He battled hard to bring democracy to South Africa, end the oppressive Apartheid regime, and then transcend the country and continent into the twenty-first century through his presidency (his goal to reunite the black majority with a white minority that oppressed the country for so long), support for the national rugby team during the 1995 World Cup in South Africa, and support for the 2010 World Cup of Football. This man helped bring South Africa out of a world that kept them isolated via Apartheid and did so many great things that brought the whole country to the global stage and the modern world.

He accomplished so much during his long life, and this great man will forever be missed. May his legacy forever live on in South Africa, all of Africa, and around the world. R.I.P., Nelson Mandela.

Certainly Nelson Mandela provided a fine example akin to great ones like Mahatma Gandhi, MLK, and JFK. He will rest in the memories of countless generations to come as one of the greatest and most influential national leaders that has ever walked the face of the Earth, at that, being an understatement.

I heard about this while i was heading to work on the bus. Heard 2 dudes talking about it then it piped up on my phone (I literally read all the newspapers on my phone).

Then i found out today that they renaming my old high school (Boys & Girls) after him

Nelson Mandela has already bridge, streets, avenues, schools... with its name in Paris area.

There are 412 municipalities in Paris urban area, so this potentially means a lot of streets with the name of Nelson Mandela

(Add 1,386 municipalities for the exurbs).

These are Nelson Mandela bridges  located in Ivry sur Seine and Charenton-le-Pont in southeastern inner suburbs.

PontNelsonMendela.jpg

Archived