Official Rapid Transit Trivia Thread

East New York

LOL. Bet you looked at the car data-sheet, which isn't going to help you with this question. What you're referring to is not the weight of the HVAC itself, it's the "A/C Capacity" which is something else. It's an ancient way of calculating cooling capacity but it doesn't have to do with the weight of the unit.

All that 9 tons of cooling means is that each HVAC unit has the same capacity as 9 "tons" x 12,000 BTU. So each unit is 108,000 BTU of cooling power.

But that's not the weight of the HVAC, otherwise two 9 tons units would make up more than half the weight of a trailer car and almost half the weight of a motor car, which would have certainly made those trains very top heavy...

A good try though...

Of course there's no way you could have known that, just wanted to clear that up for anyone who just looks at the data sheet.

You remember that sounds the parents made in Charlie Brown, yea thats what I heard as you explained that. So by weight, do you mean how heavy the sucker is when you try an remove the whole thing?

Now I have a question for you. How much does one 35' section of rail weigh? This question involves alittle math and helps if you know how much the rail weighs by the foot.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You remember that sounds the parents made in Charlie Brown, yea thats what I heard as you explained that. So by weight, do you mean how heavy the sucker is when you try an remove the whole thing?

Now I have a question for you. How much does one 35' section of rail weigh? This question involves alittle math and helps if you know how much the rail weighs by the foot.

OK the short and stoopit answer: "9 tons" of A/C "capacity" has nothing to do with how much the HVAC weighs.

The answer is "only" about 1800 lbs. per unit

As for track questions, now it's my turn to hear Charlie Brown's mom and dad yelling at each other.

Since I've held a 6" section of rail in my hand once and it felt like it must have weighed about 20 pounds (?) let's open the Windows calculator here...

20 x 2 (for a foot) x 35 feet = ?

1400 lbs?

OK the short and stoopit answer: "9 tons" of A/C "capacity" has nothing to do with how much the HVAC weighs.

The answer is "only" about 1800 lbs. per unit

As for track questions, now it's my turn to hear Charlie Brown's mom and dad yelling at each other.

Since I've held a 6" section of rail in my hand once and it felt like it must have weighed about 20 pounds (?) let's open the Windows calculator here...

20 x 2 (for a foot) x 35 feet = ?

1400 lbs?

Hahaha, rail weighs about 100 lbs a foot and the sandard size is 35' long which makes your average section 35,000 lbs. Now the stuff we have up at BERA weighs alot less since it is smaller.

Hahaha, rail weighs about 100 lbs a foot and the sandard size is 35' long which makes your average section 35,000 lbs. Now the stuff we have up at BERA weighs alot less since it is smaller.

Heh...That's why you're track dept up there and I'm ops

But wouldn't that be 3500 lbs?

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a couple RTO multiple choice for you guys...we'll start easy and non revealing :(

1- An RDO is a:

a) Routine Door Operation

B) Regular Day Off

c) Rail Dispatcher's Observation

d) Request for Department Officer

2-A signal displays yellow over green. This means:

a) stop and wait for the signal to turn green over green, then go

B) go slowly, the train will diverge (switch tracks) at the switch, no more than 10MPH and be prepared to stop within vision

c) proceed slowly, the train will not diverge at the switch, be prepared to stop within vision

d) a Wheel detector is active in the area

3-If a particular car has a dead motor, one of the most noticeable things that will happen is:

a) the dynamic brake will not work

B) the lights in the car will be dark

c) the affected motor truck will arc like crazy

d) the HVAC unit in the car will not function

4-A hanging guard light identifies a condition related to the:

a) traction motors

B) doors

c) brakes

d) HVAC

5-The main difference between the Arnine cars and other pre 1948 equipment as compared to any trains post 1948 is:

a) soft seats

B) no air conditioning

c) exterior conductor controls

d) different braking system

1) B

2) C

3) B

4) B

5) B

• 3 weeks later...

OK I know Harry doesn't want us doing multiple choice questions, so since it's been quite a while and people still are responding to my post, I will post the answers once and for all so that no one else is tempted to respond.

Here's a couple RTO multiple choice for you guys...we'll start easy and non revealing :D

1- An RDO is a:

a) Routine Door Operation

B) Regular Day Off

c) Rail Dispatcher's Observation

d) Request for Department Officer

2-A signal displays yellow over green. This means:

a) stop and wait for the signal to turn green over green, then go

B) go slowly, the train will diverge (switch tracks) at the switch, no more than 10MPH and be prepared to stop within vision

c) proceed slowly, the train will not diverge at the switch, be prepared to stop within vision

d) a Wheel detector is active in the area

3-If a particular car has a dead motor, one of the most noticeable things that will happen is:

a) the dynamic brake will not work

B) the lights in the car will be dark

c) the affected motor truck will arc like crazy

d) the HVAC unit in the car will not function

4-A hanging guard light identifies a condition related to the:

a) traction motors

B) doors

c) brakes

d) HVAC

5-The main difference between the Arnine cars and other pre 1948 equipment as compared to any trains post 1948 is:

a) soft seats

B) no air conditioning

c) exterior conductor controls

d) different braking system

In what year did the line to The Rockaways open?

I know LRG answered already, but is if you mean subway service to the Rockaways. Long Island Rail Road operated there since 1888, so there was a train link to the Rockaways farther back in time.

On 53d Street, can an (E) train turn north to Inwood or Norwood and can a (B) or (D) train continue to Jamaica or Jamaica Center?

If either train is on 53rd Street, then no. If not then yes they can, (E) to 205th and (B)(D) to Jamacia Center.

Q: When did the 168th St, 160th St, Sutphin Blvd, Queens Blvd and the Metropolitan Avenue stations on the old end of the BMT Jamaica Avenue El got demolished?

1985 they were abandon and they actually came down around 1990.

1985 they were abandon and they actually came down around 1990.

Not all 5 of them was demolished in 1990. Only the Queens Blvd and the Metropolitan Avenue stations was demolished in late 1990, so you was right about those two. What about the first three stations?

Not all 5 of them was demolished in 1990. Only the Queens Blvd and the Metropolitan Avenue stations was demolished in late 1990, so you was right about those two. What about the first three stations?

The other 3 came down in the early 1980's, I'm unsure about the exact years.

Archived