Study: NICE bus service leaves riders wanting

User

Bus riders were dissatisfied with the Nassau Inter-County Express -- despite service upgrades in 2013 and the promise of major technical innovations this year that include the ability to pay fares with a smartphone, according to a new report.

In its recently released "scorecard" for the third quarter of 2013, NICE recorded an overall customer satisfaction score of 29 percent -- down sharply from 52 percent during the same period in 2012, the year Veolia Transportation took the system over from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Other scores also dropped, including for cleanliness of buses and bus stops, and on-time perception, which measures customers' views on buses' punctuality. NICE hired French research firm Ipsos to conduct the survey of 800 bus riders.

NICE officials said they were confounded by the findings. Rider advocates blamed poor system conditions and insufficient service for their increased dissatisfaction.

"They're not the ones that are actually dealing with buses on a daily basis," said Aaron Watkins-Lopez, organizer for the Long Island Bus Riders Union. NICE's insufficient service levels can result in crowded commutes and uncomfortable bus stops, he said.

Some routes with low ridership have no weekend service, while others have hourlong waits between buses at midday.

"And since they're unhappy with the conditions, it makes their waits seem longer," said Watkins-Lopez, suggesting that NICE officials not dismiss the latest satisfaction data.

NICE chief executive Michael Setzer called the low numbers "puzzling and frustrating."

"I'm fairly sure it's not reflecting a change in performance, but it does reflect what people think, which is important," said Setzer, noting the drop-off in customer satisfaction began around April when NICE adopted the MTA's 25-cent hike on bus trips paid with a MetroCard. "I don't know if that's the cause, but it might be a contributing factor," he said.

Setzer said internal data show NICE buses are punctual 80 percent to 85 percent of the time, but noted those figures are not very reliable because they are taken from a small sample of only 50 rides. NICE deems a bus arriving more than five minutes after its scheduled time to be late.

Setzer said there was no evidence that buses have been running later than usual in recent months, and noted that other, more quantifiable measures of NICE's performance show improvement.

They include NICE's accident rate, which fell 15 percent in the third quarter of 2013; its number of bus breakdowns, which fell about 14 percent; and the number of buses not dispatched within 10 minutes of their scheduled time, which dropped from 57 in the third quarter of 2012 to zero in the same period in 2013.

NICE's Able-Ride door-to-door service for disabled riders, for which there are more reliable statistics, also saw on-time performance improve to 90 percent in the third quarter of 2013 from 83 percent in the same period in 2012, officials said.

NICE is operated by Veolia Transportation, which took over Nassau's bus system in January 2012.

Setzer said he expects 2014 to be a better year for NICE because of some system investments made in 2013, including the replacement of one-third of its Able-Ride fleet and approval of an $8 million contract to install new global-positioning systems on vehicles.

The technology, which will allow NICE and its customers to track buses in real time, should be in place by late 2014, officials said. NICE officials have said the technology would allow them to accurately measure on-time performance, and also add extra buses if others are running late.

Another NICE initiative will allow riders to pay fares using a smartphone application, which Setzer expects to be rolled out early this year.

The biggest factor in how 2014 unfolds for NICE may come in Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's proposed state budget this month, which should give NICE a preview of how much to anticipate in state funding.

A $5 million boost in state aid last year allowed NICE to add service on several routes, but Setzer warned that the new service could be in jeopardy if state aid is reduced.

"That's the big unknown," said Setzer, adding that he hopes to keep service and fare levels the same throughout 2014 for NICE's 100,000 daily riders. Setzer doesn't expect NICE will raise fares in 2014.

It is uncertain how much Nassau County will contribute to its bus system. The county budget includes $2.6 million this year for NICE, which has a $113 million annual budget. The GOP-controlled legislature has said it would consider increasing that amount midyear.

Meanwhile, a new study by New York University's Rudin Center for Transportation Policy & Management and by Appleseed, a nonprofit advocacy group, said NICE generates $73 in economic activity for every $1 Nassau spends on the system.

NICE is also directly and indirectly responsible for some 1,490 jobs in Nassau, according to the study commissioned by the Tri-State Transportation Campaign, a nonprofit watchdog group.

Campaign associate director Ryan Lynch said the report should serve as a call to the state and Nassau to spend more money on bus service.

"They can have all the technology in the world," Lynch said, but "if the buses are coming every 45 minutes, it's not convenient for people."

LINK: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/study-nice-bus-service-leaves-riders-wanting-1.6779854

The service is abysmal when you have super-long routes that are local the entire way. 

The Jamaica-bound N22 (local) usually arrives at least 20 minutes late mid-days at 179th St, which is why they just added running time to that bus line.  Most passengers get on at Roosevelt Field or Willis Ave and ride all the way through to 179th St, so a limited stop all day long would help greatly.  And Queens bus stops should not be every 2 tiny blocks apart, but should rather be every half-mile apart.

And whenever I took the N4 local (either direction) during the summer weekends to go to Jones Beach, I would often wait 45 minutes for a bus, then the second bus would soon catch up to the first bus.  The bus driver would never leave Jamaica or Freeport on time, usually at least 10 minutes late.  And of course delays would cascade down the line due to the large number of stops a local N4 bus must make.  Most riders get on at Freeport or at the Baldwin stop and ride all the way through to Jamaica, so a limited stop weekend bus would help greatly.

I'm sure the amount of flagged riders makes customer satisfaction plummet also, as well as the missed transfer connections.

They need to reduce crowding, reduce flagging, make HTC less of an undesirable smelly place to keep warm, post schedules and add a heat lamp stand at Roosevelt Field.

I'm sure the amount of flagged riders makes customer satisfaction plummet also, as well as the missed transfer connections.

They need to reduce crowding, reduce flagging, make HTC less of an undesirable smelly place to keep warm, post schedules and add a heat lamp stand at Roosevelt Field.

The last part is out of their league though as (MTA) owns and operates the HTC building. They could go talk to the (MTA) about it, but in the end (MTA) makes the decision what they'll do with it.

OT: 2014 will be a better NICE year for sure! :)

I concur, I find the system to be absolute shit myself but since LIRR hates my part of the island, I am forced to use it. I find it shit for numerous reasons:

1. The schedules

- Idk how you give only a MINUTE to transfer between buses at transit points/centers. This is even if either bus is on time, which is highly unlikely in the first place..

- schedules are not right, they are either too wide or too short.

Here are some examples:

- n6x in the morning. (The stretch from HTC to Elmont Road is about 18 minutes by the schedule. In reality if one goes above 5mph, they'll be early, THEN the OPs are only given 10 minutes to get from Elmont Rd to 179, which really takes 12-15 due to the obscene stoplights. This is fixed in the Jan 12 schedules thankfully, they are given 13 minutes on runs before 7, and 15 after I think.)

- Buses don't connect with the trains.. (The n4/4X NEVER connects with the E, it always arrives a minute after one departs, and leaves as an (E) enters, which is problematic if the route runs 30+ minute headways (which is why I just take the 6 at night now; better headways, connects with the 15 and I have Westminster as a backup thankfully.)

2. Buses don't making bus-bus transfers.

- This is a problem I've noticed in Hempstead a few times (another reason I love the 15, because I can get off at any stop on Fulton or at Westminster if I feel that I may not make a transfer.) The n6/6X is ALWAYS late to Hempstead. Some people actually go by the schedules and if the bus is late, they are screwed, especially if it is a low ridership route. (Those N40/41 people are really lucky with the amount of service they get, but they utilize it well, those buses are always packed when I see them.)

3. Rude, rude operators (this may not be a system problem but still.)

- I've had some really friendly NICE operators, but a lot of them are callous and rude. They'll openly drive away as you're running for the bus, they don't respond when you say good morning or hello and they drive really erratically.

Now, not saying any other system in the world may not have these problems but I feel like NICE's problems should be addressed this way. (In my 17 years of using the MTA I have not as much complaints about them tbh). There are a lot of people in Nassau (like myself; although I don't live here by choice) that rely on NICE and have commutes of over 90 minutes. LIRR isn't a saving grace for us in any way (notice, the high ridership routes, don't run near or parallel the LIRR, or they barely do.-- N40/N41, all of those communities don't use LIRR, N22, some portions have subpar or nonexistant service, same for N24. The N15 runs parallel to WH branch, enough said. And the N6, I'd say 50% or more of its ridership come from Elmont.)

I'd suggest getting out there to riders and getting their opinion (not just at Hempstead or RF or some other terminal) and gather a list of responses from a bigger sampling size (800 riders? really... that's it? out of 100,000.). I'm sure a lot feel the way I do.

I concur, I find the system to be absolute shit myself but since LIRR hates my part of the island, I am forced to use it. I find it shit for numerous reasons:

1. The schedules

- Idk how you give only a MINUTE to transfer between buses at transit points/centers. This is even if either bus is on time, which is highly unlikely in the first place..

Here are some examples:

- n6x in the morning. (The stretch from HTC to Elmont Road is about 18 minutes by the schedule. In reality if one goes above 5mph, they'll be early, THEN the OPs are only given 10 minutes to get from Elmont Rd to 179, which really takes 12-15 due to the obscene stoplights. This is fixed in the Jan 12 schedules thankfully, they are given 13 minutes on runs before 7, and 15 after I think.)

- Buses don't connect with the trains.. (The n4/4X NEVER connects with the E, it always arrives a minute after one departs, and leaves as an (E) enters, which is problematic if the route runs 30+ minute headways (which is why I just take the 6 at night now; better headways, connects with the 15 and I have Westminster as a backup thankfully.)

- This is a problem I've noticed in Hempstead a few times (another reason I love the 15, because I can get off at any stop on Fulton or at Westminster if I feel that I may not make a transfer.) The n6/6X is ALWAYS late to Hempstead. Some people actually go by the schedules and if the bus is late, they are screwed, especially if it is a low ridership route. (Those N40/41 people are really lucky with the amount of service they get, but they utilize it well, those buses are always packed when I see them.)

- I've had some really friendly NICE operators, but a lot of them are callous and rude. They'll openly drive away as you're running for the bus, they don't respond when you say good morning or hello and they drive really erratically.

Now, not saying any other system in the world may not have these problems but I feel like NICE's problems should be addressed this way. (In my 17 years of using the MTA I have not as much complaints about them tbh). There are a lot of people in Nassau (like myself; although I don't live here by choice) that rely on NICE and have commutes of over 90 minutes. LIRR isn't a saving grace for us in any way (notice, the high ridership routes, don't run near or parallel the LIRR, or they barely do.-- N40/N41, all of those communities don't use LIRR, N22, some portions have subpar or nonexistant service, same for N24. The N15 runs parallel to WH branch, enough said. And the N6, I'd say 50% or more of its ridership come from Elmont.)

I'd suggest getting out there to riders and getting their opinion (not just at Hempstead or RF or some other terminal) and gather a list of responses from a bigger sampling size (800 riders? really... that's it? out of 100,000.). I'm sure a lot feel the way I do.

I agree with you 100% the n4 issue with connecting with the (E) has been an issue even when the (MTA) ran the show. I took the n15 once from Hempstead to RVC to xfer to the n4 I waited a good 20-30 mins oh yea this was a rush hour too.

From tapatalk

1. The schedules

Here are some examples:

1 Schedules too narrow are a result of Transdev s influence, the rest of #1 is something NICE could improve on though as those transfers are something NICE may schedule as they wish.

2 That is something NICE can fix.

3 Oh, don t get me started on this one. Ill keep my yap shut because I dont feel like writing 3 long ass posts about rude drivers I experienced over here over the years (and because NICE is the topic here), but let me just confirm your point: yes, it happens elsewhere in the world. DEFINETLY.

4 Yes, they should get in touch with riders a bit more. They already do a good job of scheduling meetings and actually taking requests/complaints via Twitter seriously (again: Ill keep my yap shut about here) but they could actually do a survey (no, not that one from the other thread but a survey done by themselves) on routes where there are complaints.

Good responses so far......

Well, when you have a suburban based system carrying loads on its heaviest routes similar (or even more) to that of in urban areas (most of which travel to urban areas, to boot... Lol), you're gonna have the problem of missed connections (bus-bus, bus-subway, or bus-railroad), overcrowding, insufficient service, etc..... This goes back to a point that Pinepower made, about Nassau becoming more urban..... That to me is the nature of the problem with how the MTA ran service then, and how Veolia is running service now.....

Although Veolia are making improvements (in some areas anyway w/ NICE, like with the introduction of X services [although their implementation of it I question]), the core foundation of how service is ran, is that of how the MTA ran MSBA/LIB.... Saying this differently, instead of continuing to use the "mirrored" schedules/headways on its routes (that they took/based from the MTA's scheduling), They should start from scratch; which shouldn't be too hard to do on the more lighter routes in the system anyway..... Better distribution of buses could go a long way, as well.....

You have to know what your "money" routes are, and provide service for those routes accordingly.

Well, when you have a suburban based system carrying loads on its heaviest routes similar (or even more) to that of in urban areas (most of which travel to urban areas, to boot... Lol), you're gonna have the problem of missed connections (bus-bus, bus-subway, or bus-railroad), overcrowding, insufficient service, etc..... This goes back to a point that Pinepower made, about Nassau becoming more urban..... That to me is the nature of the problem with how the MTA ran service then, and how Veolia is running service now.....

Although Veolia are making improvements (in some areas anyway w/ NICE, like with the introduction of X services [although their implementation of it I question]), the core foundation of how service is ran, is that of how the MTA ran MSBA/LIB.... Saying this differently, instead of continuing to use the "mirrored" schedules/headways on its routes (that they took/based from the MTA's scheduling), They should start from scratch; which shouldn't be too hard to do on the more lighter routes in the system anyway..... Better distribution of buses could go a long way, as well.....

You have to know what your "money" routes are, and provide service for those routes accordingly.

Agreed. And tbh: I don't think you're that far off. This year NICE is gonna start the rollout of Clever Devices throughout the system and their HQ and with new advanced GPS they can exactly see each and every bus, thus monitoring what's going on *exactly* instead of by 'word'. I think later in the year, when the new system is set up, they will use it to restructure at least part of the schedules (i.e. 'starting from scratch' on some routes).

They know where their money routes are, they refer to them in their statements. But sometimes all that's need it is another bus per hour or something to keep the crowding and flagging down. 

Agreed. And tbh: I don't think you're that far off. This year NICE is gonna start the rollout of Clever Devices throughout the system and their HQ and with new advanced GPS they can exactly see each and every bus, thus monitoring what's going on *exactly* instead of by 'word'. I think later in the year, when the new system is set up, they will use it to restructure at least part of the schedules (i.e. 'starting from scratch' on some routes).

I hope so, this cannot come soon enough.

Not surprised by the report. It explains why I've seen ridership drop. Largest drops were mainstream riders & commuters, followed by students. What remains are the poorest of the poor (day laborers, disabled,etc). I do not blame NICE, I blame Nassau County and the budget situation. The (MTA) had more money to work with and had more buses on the road. Now people are waiting longer for buses that are more crowded and likely to be late or breakdown. And that is because the overall budget for buses in Nassau is less than what it was under (MTA) LIB. The solution isn't getting rid of NICE but increasing the budget, and I'm not talking about more state aid which we always have to wonder about, but a bigger contribution from the county. $2.6 Million is beyond pathetic. It should at least be raised to the $9 million or so when it was (MTA) LIB. NICE would have money for more service, cleaner & better maintained buses. If the state doesn't come through it's April 8th all over again, and I think we'd probably see ridership drop to 50-60% of what it was prior to 2012. Right now I'd estimate it's 75-80% of what it was. Suffolk Transit's addition of Sunday service to 10 routes is the biggest improvement in bus transit service here on LI in years. Suffolk is more committed to funding it's bus system and it shows, by growing ridership, and I'm talking about growing MAINSTREAM ridership, not guys heading to stand on streetcorners & ppl going to DSS.

@Pinepower: It kinda surprises me that you've seen less students on NICE because the n6x (and somewhat the n6) is heavily marketed towards students by NICE.

But I do agree: Nassau needs to invest more. NICE is doing better in some ways than LIB but they could do better with some extra funding. I don't really see what's holding them. (MTA) wanted 40M (IIRC) to keep LIB running before NICE came around. Even with the old 9M Nassau would still save lots and lots of $$$ compared to (MTA)'s 40M wish.

@Pinepower: It kinda surprises me that you've seen less students on NICE because the n6x (and somewhat the n6) is heavily marketed towards students by NICE.

But I do agree: Nassau needs to invest more. NICE is doing better in some ways than LIB but they could do better with some extra funding. I don't really see what's holding them. (MTA) wanted 40M (IIRC) to keep LIB running before NICE came around. Even with the old 9M Nassau would still save lots and lots of $$$ compared to (MTA)'s 40M wish.

He's seen less students on NICE because it's January and colleges are on winter break.

were*

Colleges have started up again today. (yes, I know some people in the USA that go to college)

The US is a large country, Colleges in the north start later than ones in the south.

for example:

NCC:  http://www.ncc.edu/admissions/default.shtml

Apply to NCC for the Spring 2014 Semester

The Spring 2014 semester begins Jan. 21.

Hofstra: http://events.hofstra.edu/?d=2014-01-27

Spring 2014 Classes Begin. Mon Jan 27 2014.

Suny Farmingdale: http://www.farmingdale.edu/calendars/academic-calendar/spring-2014.shtml

January 24 (Friday)

Classes begin

Suny Old Westbury:: http://www.oldwestbury.edu/

January 21, 2014 menu_arrow.gifSpring 2014 Classes begin

Molloy, NYIT and CW Post's sites make it convoluted to check dates.

Oh okay, didn't know that. I thought at least Winter Break was the same for almost all colleges throughout the USA.

(btw, I wasn't talking about the south only; also Oklahoma (which is more southern than NYC but not really in the south) and Indiana (which is not south at all), which did start up again today)

Thanks for the correction though, always fun to learn new things! :)

I'll correct myself a bit, Its really not even all that broad either, it depends on the region and the schools in question.

What I should've said to be absolutely clear is that "Colleges most likely to affect NICE's ridership are currently on Winter break."

College Winter and Summer breaks differ depending on the region. (Even Elementary/Primary, Middle and High Schools.) Some colleges  go by quarters also.  

Now that you mention it, I don't recall too many things set the same throughout the USA, most are set on the state/regional level, does anyone else disagree?

Not surprised by the report. It explains why I've seen ridership drop. Largest drops were mainstream riders & commuters, followed by students. What remains are the poorest of the poor (day laborers, disabled,etc). I do not blame NICE, I blame Nassau County and the budget situation. The (MTA) had more money to work with and had more buses on the road. Now people are waiting longer for buses that are more crowded and likely to be late or breakdown. And that is because the overall budget for buses in Nassau is less than what it was under (MTA) LIB. The solution isn't getting rid of NICE but increasing the budget, and I'm not talking about more state aid which we always have to wonder about, but a bigger contribution from the county. $2.6 Million is beyond pathetic. It should at least be raised to the $9 million or so when it was (MTA) LIB. NICE would have money for more service, cleaner & better maintained buses. If the state doesn't come through it's April 8th all over again, and I think we'd probably see ridership drop to 50-60% of what it was prior to 2012. Right now I'd estimate it's 75-80% of what it was. Suffolk Transit's addition of Sunday service to 10 routes is the biggest improvement in bus transit service here on LI in years. Suffolk is more committed to funding it's bus system and it shows, by growing ridership, and I'm talking about growing MAINSTREAM ridership, not guys heading to stand on streetcorners & ppl going to DSS.

What's next rush hour links to LIRR?

A lot of ridership on the routes to Queens live close to the border. If scheduling becomes horrid, you'll see people literally walking to Queens for the Q12, Q43, Q36, Q2, Q110, Q4, Q5, etc.  You may have people driving to Queens to hop on the limited buses, (there is hardly any parking by the Subway stations)

What's next rush hour links to LIRR?

I think NICE needs to work on those, routes like the n51, n73, and n80/81 need to have their schedules changed. We don't need both the n73 & n50 running middays, one of them should run rush hours only, but have later runs at night. The n51 for instance seems to get ppl off the train at Merrick, and ridership on the last n/b trip at 6:53pm seems to have picked up again, but middays are empty. So get rid of the n51 middays, and run it rush hours only but have a later trip at night, say running till 8pm. A recategoration of routes needs to be done. There would be core system routes like the n4,n6,n20,n22,n24,n31/32,n40/41,n70/71/72 which should run round the clock (or close to it) and run no less often than every 20 minutes middays and weekends and every 10 min rush hours. Then there's the crosstowns like the n15, n16,n19,n23,n25,n27,n33,n35,n43,n48/49,n54/55, that would run every 15-20 min rush hours, every 20-30 min middays, nights, and weekends. The big change would be the last category, which I would refer to as commuter feeder routes. This would be the n1,n14,n17,n21,n26,n36,n45,n46,n47,n50,n51,n57,n58,n73,n74,n80 & n81. These would focus on connections to LIRR trains in rush hours for commuters, and would run from 6am to 9am and from 4pm to 8pm weekdays only. No service on middays, Saturdays, or Sundays, except for the n80 or 81 retained for "network coverage" since it does service the Sunrise Mall. Basically service needs to be focused on where the need is more. Most destinations are colleges (ex.NCC-n6x,n16,n35,n43), shopping centers (ex.Roosevelt Field n15,n22,n24,n27,n35,n43), subways (ex.179st n6,n22,n24), and impoverished areas (Hempstead,New Cassel,etc). Buses that service these areas will be crowded and need frequent service. The LIRR is expensive and I think NICE can add service to the core lines to get more commuters going to the subway, and the n22x should run in BOTH directions rush hour betw.Hicksville &179st.

A lot of ridership on the routes to Queens live close to the border. If scheduling becomes horrid, you'll see people literally walking to Queens for the Q12, Q43, Q36, Q2, Q110, Q4, Q5, etc.  You may have people driving to Queens to hop on the limited buses, (there is hardly any parking by the Subway stations)

Even I have entertained the thought of using the LIRR to a station near a border to avoid this. Now with the n22L gone and only 30 min service out of Hicksville in the peak direction I may consider using the LIRR to New Hyde Park & walked the border, but that could be a distance! Too bad most mainline trains don't stop in Floral Park. Even if I wanted Jamaica it's an $8 peak ticket from Westbury! Walking the 2 miles to Glen Cove road for the n22a might make more sense, though I'm probably gonna just have to cough up the LIRR fare, its not worth the agrivation. NICE really cost themselves some ppl with that n22 change. What they should have done was add n22x service in both directions. Now they'll have one less rider in the morning when I have to travel toward NY, and I'm sure some other folks in Westbury will be doing the same. Not gonna wait longer to get on a crush loaded bus. 

The n17 becoming a rush hour route is out of the question, the purpose is to go to Mercy Medical Center, not the LIRR.

The n1, 36, and 58 being rush hour only routes is a riot waiting to happen...

OK maybe not the n1 & I already know the n17 schedule is limited. The n36 is a pretty empty route though, except for a certain loudmouth who is always at hearings talking about it. The n4, n15, n31/32, and n35 already serve areas that the n36 goes to, and these areas are not exactly higher ridership areas (save for RVC & Freeport and again those ppl take the n4).

Right. Announcements not working is causing riders to not use the bus. If that really was the case then bus routes within and going out of my city would be scrapped because I'd be rich if I got a penny for everytime the announcement system is not working. Yet, ridership is plummeting to a level that action needs to be taken to relieve crushloaded buses. So no, I won't believe announcements are keeping riders on NICE away. I do agree that NICE rider may not be favoring NICE because of the lack of bus priority lights and buses not showing up. With Clever Devices they can at least take action on the latter. NICE is gonna rock 2014! :)

Right. Announcements not working is causing riders to not use the bus. If that really was the case then bus routes within and going out of my city would be scrapped because I'd be rich if I got a penny for everytime the announcement system is not working. Yet, ridership is plummeting to a level that action needs to be taken to relieve crushloaded buses. So no, I won't believe announcements are keeping riders on NICE away. I do agree that NICE rider may not be favoring NICE because of the lack of bus priority lights and buses not showing up. With Clever Devices they can at least take action on the latter. NICE is gonna rock 2014! :)

NICE sucks.

Archived