After brief break, more snow expected in New York City area on Tuesday night

Harry

Manhattan? I dont recall Manhattan being in such bad shape. This sounds hard to believe. Proof please?

Just use your eyes and look around... Yes, Midtown was nicely cleaned up because the businesses have staff and equipment that go out and get rid of the snow and so on, but the residential areas in parts could still use some plowing in spots.

Just use your eyes and look around... Yes, Midtown was nicely cleaned up because the businesses have staff and equipment that go out and get rid of the snow and so on, but the residential areas in parts could still use some plowing in spots.

I did. Thats why I am challenging your observations. I do have 20/20 vision. And waitaminute you was complaining about Riverdale and Manhattan not the suburbs in different boroughs as you are now conveniently again bringing up just to go on and on with your agenda. remember that delegation of orders trickle down under different borough presidents and councils. Ever thought of that? Its not as as cut and dry as you think or wish to care to acknoledge just because you tend to lean extreme right which has nothing to do with the clean up efforts. This is not the Rush Limbaugh show or Don Lemon on CNN Newshour.

Bloomberg is gone. Move on. Life will not stop just because you have issues with democrats.

And again.... proof?

I did. Thats why I am challenging your observations. I do have 20/20 vision. And waitaminute you was complaining about Riverdale and Manhattan not the suburbs in different boroughs as you are now conveniently again bringing up just to go on and on with your agenda. remember that delegation of orders trickle down under different borough presidents and councils. Ever thought of that? Its not as as cut and dry as you think or wish to care to acknoledge just because you tend to lean extreme right which has nothing to do with the clean up efforts. This is not the Rush Limbaugh show or Don Lemon on CNN Newshour.

Bloomberg is gone. Move on. Life will not stop just because you have issues with democrats.

And again.... proof?

The proof is on this board in this very thread, posted by other members besides myself.

This winter was awful but I can tolerate the snow and the cold.. its the fkin black ice that I can't stand.

I'm happy to not go to a public school, my school simply closes in this horrible weather and doesn't add on days at the end (I'm a senior anyway so it wouldn't affect me.)

I spoke to my NY History teacher about his opinion on DeBlasio keeping the NYC schools open and he brought up the fact that even though the conditions are bad, people still have to work, and a lot of people cannot work if the schools are closed because they'll have no one to watch their kids (obviously the younger kids.). 

I spoke to my NY History teacher about his opinion on DeBlasio keeping the NYC schools open and he brought up the fact that even though the conditions are bad, people still have to work, and a lot of people cannot work if the schools are closed because they'll have no one to watch their kids (obviously the younger kids.).

Well the NYDOE Chancellor does not want to pay teachers and staff the the day missed for shutting down schools in adverse weather unlike the private schools who imho made the right calls in how to tackle stormy days. Which is why they keep the schools open despite the weather, which I would say is stupid for many reasons (safety concerns for the children being one of them which they disregard) Its all about shady politics. Unfortunately incompetency is the NYDOE's middle name sort of speak.

Its the chancellor that makes the call, he reports to the mayor the decisions made by administration and the mayor announces the decision to the public. Of course the chancellor many times dont know what he is doing or care. On the flip side the mayor can order the schools closed and overide the decision (an uncommon practice with mayors through out the course of history ntil Bloomberg in his administration and his shits called to prepare for hurricane sandy) but since DeBlasio had the support of influential persons of this agency and the UFT so he tends to follow along with them as they helped in getting him into city hall from last years campaign.

You just cant win sometimes... I was equally pissed with CUNY for making equally stupid decisions. I'm sure Columbia University lets say would not make idiotic calls like this to keep the schools open in dangerous weather conditions for those who do not live in the dorms unlike college students in the CUNY system. I went to school anyway despite all, but I was not happy with how CUNY handled this either for the sake of the college students let alone the NYDOE in regards to the grade school, JHS or HS students.

Cool! I go by official sources unlike yourself. Care to bring this to the next level so I can school you? I'll be obliged to as always. 

You don't need official sources when you have personal experiences, I attend Lower Manhattan every day and I can say it's poorly maintained when it snows. The ROADS might be good, but the sidewalks are done carelessly, let alone the crosswalks.

Some poor streets for pedestrians from my experience at least:

Greenwich and Murray

Church and Murray

Greenwich and Vesey 

Broadway and Park Place

I mean they gradually get better over the days, but you'd assume in the city, they would take care of it pretty fast. Took almost a week to properly clear the sidewalks and crosswalks.

The city and "officials" may label it "okay and presentable" but you should know that is not always fact and solid. There are times where personal point of view would supersede an official's point of view.

You don't need official sources when you have personal experiences, I attend Lower Manhattan every day and I can say it's poorly maintained when it snows. The ROADS might be good, but the sidewalks are done carelessly, let alone the crosswalks.

The city and "officials" may label it "okay and presentable" but you should know that is not always fact and solid. There are times where personal point of view would supersede an official's point of view.

To be fair, while what you say is generally true and makes sense, I'm inclined to agree with your observations made, the reason I responded as such is because its not a good idea for some to make empty assumptions for the sake of baseless argumentation, taking things in loops like this is a circus act for personal amusement. Anyway that issue was concluded and I am seeking closure so I'll stop here in regards to that.

On another note imho the national weather service needs to get better with keeping the DSNY and NYDOT as well as the MTA informed correctly and on time. There are flaws in forecasting which I can explain. I touched upon it in a separate discussion. It has to do with meteorologists basing 5 day weather forecasts on past data spanning a decade at a time which leaves a huge margin for error throwing the agencies handling snow preparedness off guard.

If anything another part of the problem is that we are now facing a salt shortage due to the viciousness of this winter season.

This winter was awful but I can tolerate the snow and the cold.. its the fkin black ice that I can't stand.

I'm happy to not go to a public school, my school simply closes in this horrible weather and doesn't add on days at the end (I'm a senior anyway so it wouldn't affect me.)

Your history teacher was entirely right with his observation. I happen to be on Long Island for the next few weeks and I told my relatives exactly what your teacher told you. The schools become de facto day care centers in that case.  The funny part is that the proponents of the "free" market are probably more subject to being fired or docked pay than the very civil servants they are so fond of denigrating. I'm looking forward to the outcry sure to come from this Wednesday night Thursday morning storm. I've heard predictions of up to 6"-8" of snow along with rain and ice.

Thats what I'm seeing on the same weather channel site: 1-3 inches. I have a hunch ABC News is wrong on their forecast. Because of the fact that the snow should turn to sleet or rain from other sources. So it shouldn't be up to a feet of snow. I hope...

Don't trust that section of weather.com. Once they said half an inch and a foot of snow was on the ground..... Weather.com doesn't seem to like updating that area of the website but they do update their videos

http://www.weather.com/video/winter-storm-pax-and-the-northeast-44451

A bit hard to tell but it looks like NYC is within the 5-8 inch mark

Untitled.jpg

Don't trust that section of weather.com. Once they said half an inch and a foot of snow was on the ground..... Weather.com doesn't seem to like updating that area of the website but they do update their videos

In a way, you can't trust any news channel weather as well...I had a day where every news channel said sunny, next thing I know, I'm walking in a thunderstorm with no umbrella.

In a way, you can't trust any news channel weather as well...I had a day where every news channel said sunny, next thing I know, I'm walking in a thunderstorm with no umbrella.

The thing is that with meteorologists what they do is in the extended forecasts they go by a decade long backlog of data for the sake of 5 or ten day forecasts, so thats why many times they make erroneous broadcasts on the weather. 

Archived