Far Beyond Rush Hour: The Incredible Rise of Off-Peak Public Transportation

Turbo19

I use the Lex on weekends and was at 59th street last weekend and yes the crowds were insane... Just like rush hour...

I was there 3 weeks ago. It reminded me of the pictures we see of the Tokyo subway systems, except there wasn't anybody to push people onto the trains.

We will have to see if SAS Phase 1 and 2 can put a dent in the congestion problem with the busiest line in the nation. Old ridership habits die hard and what I foresee is reluctance on the part of many dependent on the IRT Lexington Ave line to try out the Second Ave Subway for UES access instead. So it may not solve this problem immediately.

The C should run 24 hours.

Why would the shorten (A) run 24/7 for? Is the full (A) so overcrowded at night to support a supplement local service just so it can can express 24/7?

The (C) needs more service, period.

But why? You also have the (A), (B), (E) and even the B25. There is no need for more local service on the CPW/8th Avenue/Fulton Street side of town. The (C) has relatively one of the lowest riderships in the system. I highly doubt its severely overcrowded on CPW during weekends like many people said in the past threads.

Didnt Lance tell you this before many times?

Don't drop my name into this mess.

But I will say this. There is no argument that service needs to be increased during the off hours, but the problem as always is where does the funding come from? We can call for more service on X line or how Y needs to be built, but if there isn't any money for it, all this talk means absolutely dick.

Don't drop my name into this mess.

But I will say this. There is no argument that service needs to be increased during the off hours, but the problem as always is where does the funding come from? We can call for more service on X line or how Y needs to be built, but if there isn't any money for it, all this talk means absolutely dick.

And thats the problem. Andrew Cuomo just screwed NYC Transit again a few weeks ago. The money he took away this time from dedicated payroll taxes could have restored all of the service cuts enacted in 2010.

Apologies for bringing up your name but that was for the sake of shutting down a person having no clue of how NYC Transit works, on his temper tantrum. Sucks to talk about it but hey.

Why would the shorten (A) run 24/7 for? Is the full (A) so overcrowded at night to support a supplement local service just so it can can express 24/7?

But why? You also have the (A), (B), (E) and even the B25. There is no need for more local service on the CPW/8th Avenue/Fulton Street side of town. The (C) has relatively one of the lowest riderships in the system. I highly doubt its severely overcrowded on CPW during weekends like many people said in the past threads.

Well not necessarily on the (C) in itself is you are right - the (C) isnt that bad on weekends, but the problem is the (A) (as you mentioned) and definitely the (D) on weekends. I still think the answer is service enhancements on the (D) on weekends as the Bronx population is growing and that population which is growing in need of access to Midtown Manhattan. Yes many times especially in the AM peak and evenings on Saturday and Sunday yes it can become a bunch of crushloaded cars with no way to get a seat after 59th Street Columbus circle.

Maybe increasing headways on the (4) may be a good idea for supplemental weekend service as well, relieving CG congestion if riders can catch on to the benefits of such an idea if it was implemented. What are your thoughts? Good idea or not?

The GO's - it impacts on weekend service, that cannot be avoided so yeah this is a tough one. I dont think the article took weekend GO's impacting service into consideration I may have to reread the article. But yes, necessary as it is to keep the subway in good working order, esp an old one as ours nethertheless it comes with problems.

Its a tough situation to tackle.

The (7) on sunday- 10-15 minutes a train. Gets crowded until 74th Street, then it starts getting crowded again until Queensboro Plaza.  I really hope the CBTC will help.

As for the Lex, I rode the (6) on Sunday and from Canal St to Union Square the train went from empty to just about filed. They should really increase the service, I came into Canal St to see a (6) heading to Brooklyn Bridge.. Turns out that was the next train.

Union Square was also as hectic as a weekday.. especially the (L)

The (7) on sunday- 10-15 minutes a train. Gets crowded until 74th Street, then it starts getting crowded again until Queensboro Plaza.  I really hope the CBTC will help.

As for the Lex, I rode the (6) on Sunday and from Canal St to Union Square the train went from empty to just about filed. They should really increase the service, I came into Canal St to see a (6) heading to Brooklyn Bridge.. Turns out that was the next train.

Union Square was also as hectic as a weekday.. especially the (L).

(L) service is being addressed by the MTA thankfully so we will see better service on the line soon.

As for the (6) : The Lex is over capacity, plus as a result of the R62As being thrown back on the line because of rhe R188 order for the (7) load times will increase. The MTA really should have built the SAS a long time ago as with any service improvement on the (6) it will be near impossible to do (weekdays) unfortunately as (MTA) Transit exhausted all options imaginable on the IRT Lexington Ave line as of now. If they increase service on the (6) it could help but only in the short term.

But nevertheless that is a good idea for the MTA to try out at least on the weekends or off peak. Why are they not doing this? As for the speculative thoughts mentioned, the main problem is that we just got robbed by Albany again so the money needed for the train crew's paychecks to man those trains are exhausted, so that more trains on the (6) can be added on weekends. But from a operational standpoint it is indeed possible I agree.

The (7) weekend midday: True, 10 minute headways it seems. I suspect its the same problem: Money. It does shrink to sometimes 5-6 minute headways as evening approaches from what I've seen. I haven't looked at the schedules in this response as I should, so I'm reciting from memory on this one.

Then again they did just install new timers along the IRT Flushing line (Queens Bvld Viaduct and in Manhattan), so that can be a factor as well for the large gaps between trains along with reduced service. I have no idea why if they are installing CBTC. Got me on that one.

Well not necessarily on the (C) in itself is you are right - the (C) isnt that bad on weekends, but the problem is the (A) (as you mentioned) and definitely the (D) on weekends. I still think the answer is service enhancements on the (D) on weekends as the Bronx population is growing and that population which is growing in need of access to Midtown Manhattan. Yes many times especially in the AM peak and evenings on Saturday and Sunday yes it can become a bunch of crushloaded cars with no way to get a seat after 59th Street Columbus circle.Maybe increasing headways on the (4) may be a good idea for supplemental weekend service as well, relieving CG congestion if riders can catch on to the benefits of such an idea if it was implemented. What are your thoughts? Good idea or not?The GO's - it impacts on weekend service, that cannot be avoided so yeah this is a tough one. I dont think the article took weekend GO's impacting service into consideration I may have to reread the article. But yes, necessary as it is to keep the subway in good working order, esp an old one as ours nethertheless it comes with problems.Its a tough situation to tackle.

Exactly. It's a lot more difficult to increase and/or extend weekend services due to GOs in the way. The more trains, the more congestion. Track work and/or maintaince frequently happen on the upper WPR and Rockaway lines during the off-peak. I do not mind if they run more service, but only if loads exceed guidelines and/or if there's no GOs. I believe every four-track corridor runs 18-20 tph during weekends now and every two-track corridor/tube runs 6 or 12-14 tph. And before or after an event at Barclays, Yankee Stadium, Central Park etc etc, extra services are usually provided on the (4), (C), (D) etc etc.

Glad to see aside from a minor disagreement it's great to see the identification for demand is very much existent. The content posted by residents not backs up the statistic evidence of increased travel on the off peak weekdays but also weekends. While very much obvious it demonstrates the need for feedback from the riding public to go further beyond the stats.

And on a side note, addressing a point brought up by a member, yes, it's very apparent that the MTA is in a financial deficit as it has been in recent times, but if anything this study and subsequent discussion amongst members here strengthens the argument that more funds need to be allocated for transit as the demand is there, and at a higher level than ever before. As such I believe the subject is not only worthy of discussion, but also to gain momentum, serve as a basis to establish future plans, and ultimately propel forward in the endeavor

Continuing on.

Glad to see aside from a minor disagreement it's great to see the identification for demand is very much existent. 

Great comment but I would like to clarify something here. That was not a disagreement. That was trolling. If one makes a statement stand by it. Dont go from one POV then switch to another POV which contradicts itself just for the sake of derailing a thread. Disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing? I dont understand the logic or humor projected in posting habits as such just to supposedly win an internet argument when no one was starting one, but simply exchanging ideas.

You could put all the trains you want on the (L), it's nit gonna solve anything. Weekend nights, everyone goes to/from bars along 14 St and in Williamsburg/Greenpoint. It'll stay crowded as far south as about Myrtle then it'll empty out. You'll get your mini crowd again at the junction then it's gone again by New Lots.

Regular weeknights, it's not completely crowded. I mean you probably won't find a seat, but you'll have some standing room

You could put all the trains you want on the (L), it's nit gonna solve anything. Weekend nights, everyone goes to/from bars along 14 St and in Williamsburg/Greenpoint. It'll stay crowded as far south as about Myrtle then it'll empty out. You'll get your mini crowd again at the junction then it's gone again by New Lots.

Regular weeknights, it's not completely crowded. I mean you probably won't find a seat, but you'll have some standing room

If they really wanted to, they could short-turn some trains at Myrtle to provide extra service where it is needed. Dump passengers, pull into pocket track, change ends, pull into Myrtle, run to Manhattan, wash, rinse, repeat. Improved service=more people riding=more revenue.

If they really wanted to, they could short-turn some trains at Myrtle to provide extra service where it is needed. Dump passengers, pull into pocket track, change ends, pull into Myrtle, run to Manhattan, wash, rinse, repeat. Improved service=more people riding=more revenue.

Keep in mind that at some point, the 14th St tubes will be shut down for Sandy repairs, so it'd be very premature to boost service and then have to cancel it a few weeks later.

Keep in mind that at some point, the 14th St tubes will be shut down for Sandy repairs, so it'd be very premature to boost service and then have to cancel it a few weeks later.

I wasn't suggesting that service expansions occur before repairs are finished. It's more of a medium-range possibility to deal with increased activity in Williamsburg without building another line (which should probably be done anyway in the distant future) or providing unnecessary service to eastern Brooklyn.

Archived