B38 Limited

E For Erica

What are your general thoughts of the weekday limited service on the B38? Is it useful? Do you think the route has improved with the limited service or not? Personally as a regular passenger on the B38, I'm torn to say it helps by skipping stops, but it doesn't really relieve crowding which was what the limited service was added for. In fact, the local is a lot less crowded at times & it often beats the limited. And there's been more local runs on the B38 since it got split with Grand Ave depot. plus with the length of the route in general, is it really useful?

For me, it's more of a hit or miss. There are sometimes when I ride the B38 LTD and it's fast and other times where it feels like a local. It depends on the time of day and/or direction in which you take it. Like Q23 said, makes too many stops. Other than that, if you really want to know how useful of a limited of a route it is, you should ride the route yourself and record results.

I think there's too many damn stops on the LTD clustered together.

For me, it's more of a hit or miss. There are sometimes when I ride the B38 LTD and it's fast and other times where it feels like a local. It depends on the time of day and/or direction in which you take it. Like Q23 said, makes too many stops. Other than that, if you really want to know how useful of a limited of a route it is, you should ride the route yourself and record results.

I agree. There is a lot of limited stops too close to each other. And like I said before, it's not that long of a route anyway since it only goes from Ridgewood to Downtown Brooklyn. The B26, B52, & B54 have about the same route length expect those routes go to Ridgewood Terminal unlike the B38. But they're all local. I understand the B38 will never be a "Real" limited like the B6, B41, B46, ect. But the stops could still be spread out a little bit more. And S78, I do ride this route regularly & between this & the local there really isn't much of a difference. I know the B38 has only been limited for 6 years but that's still a lot of time for them to improve it. I just feel bad for people that crowd up the limited when I'm on the local & my bus usually ends up flying past them.

2 things I feel like they should do is add more limited runs (One time, two Orion V's came before a limited) & cut some limited stops so the route can be faster. Like on Fulton Mall, the limited would just stop at EVERY stop. Even the ones that don't say B38 Limited. The limited should only have 3 stops on Fulton Mall 1st off. That's why it's so crowded in the first place. Cut Bedford Ave & leave Nostrand. It's just a one block difference. And cut any other unnecessary limited stops.

B38 LTD Current Stops

Toward Ridgewood (along Lafayette and Seneca Avenues, from 8:05 a.m. to 7:35 p.m.), the B38 limited stops are:

• on Fulton Street: Flatbush Avenue Extension, Lafayette Avenue.

• on Lafayette Avenue: Vanderbilt Avenue; Classon Avenue; Bedford Ave; Nostrand Ave; Marcus Garvey Boulevard; Lewis Avenue; Malcolm X Boulevard; and Patchen Avenue.

• on DeKalb Avenue: Myrtle/Central avenues; Wilson Avenue; Knickerbocker Avenue; Wyckoff Avenue and Seneca Avenue.

Toward Downtown Brooklyn (along Seneca & DeKalb Avenues from 6:45 a.m. to 6:25 p.m.), the B38 limited stops are: Seneca Avenue; Knickerbocker Avenue; Wilson Avenue; Myrtle/Central avenues; Broadway, Malcolm X Boulevard; Lewis Avenue; Marcus Garvey Boulevard; Nostrand Avenue; Bedford Avenue; Classon Avenue; Vanderbilt Avenue and the Flatbush Avenue Extension.

Along the Fulton Mall B38 LTD makes all stops.

I'd eliminate these stops in both directions:

Lafayette Ave (towards Ridgewood)

Vanderbilt Ave

Classon Ave (move it to Franklin Ave)

Bedford Ave

Lewis Ave

Knickerbocker Ave

when did they add limited service?

You say that's your home route & you didn't even know it has Limited service? LOL

B38 LTD Current Stops

Along the Fulton Mall B38 LTD makes all stops.

I'd eliminate these stops in both directions:

Lafayette Ave (towards Ridgewood)

Vanderbilt Ave

Classon Ave (move it to Franklin Ave)

Bedford Ave

Lewis Ave

Knickerbocker Ave

Pretty Much.

Very good points, E. Also, I didn't mean to say you didn't ride the route enough. As for seeing to Orion V's on the B38 in a row, the GA runs tend to bunch up for some reason.

Right. And it's funny how GA runs those V's the most on their split route.

B38, Q36.... Two routes that should have never gotten LTD service IMO....

B38 was good enough with the two "local" routings/service patterns going to Met. av & Catalpa av......

Makes you wonder which one is worse...the B35 LTD or the B38 LTD

...lol

...lol

The B38 LTD is worse. And I hate to say it because that's my home route in Brooklyn now smh.

Dirty, Dingy RTS's & Next Gens that look that the back may fall off are no type of buses to use on a limited route. (Take Note about the RTS's UP!) And why doesn't the Old Gen say "LIMITED" on the back sign? Is FP missing a program with their hybrids or something?

...lol

I'd say the B38 LTD, because despite the fact both suck, the B35 LTD (and it's local counterpart) come closer to a profit than the B38/B38 LTD

B38, Q36.... Two routes that should have never gotten LTD service IMO....

B38 was good enough with the two "local" routings/service patterns going to Met. av & Catalpa av......

I don't know, but would've it been better if the Q1 got the LTD service instead of the Q36 (or even the Q77, since it has the smilar headways as the Q36 route without that winding route)?

Almost missed this point.

• The B38 LTD is over-crowded because it makes all stops on Fulton Mall. So I would cut it to only Jay Street & Fulton/Lafayette Aves.

Then those two stops would be jammed after the word spread, especially the Jay St stop in the afternoon and the evening rush. That could cause chaos for other buses stuck behind waiting to go around it on that narrow two lane 2-way strip.

I'd also put back the Vanderbilt Ave stop because the distance btn Franklin Ave and Flatbush Ave is too long a run not to have one,.

I'd say the B38 LTD, because despite the fact both suck, the B35 LTD (and it's local counterpart) come closer to a profit than the B38/B38 LTD

I don't know, but would've it been better if the Q1 got the LTD service instead of the Q36 (or even the Q77, since it has the smilar headways as the Q36 route without that winding route)?

I would say the main rationale for making Q36 LTD on Hillside is that the bus is heavily utilized by passengers east of 212th; a fair amount of them would probably not take the Q36 if it had to do the local slog on Hillside, which is pretty slow during rush hours.

The Q1 carries air, and LTD Q1 service would only end up carrying more air (plus, the Q1 is the only local on Hillside between 212th and Springfield during peak hours; making it LTD would mean no local service on Hillside at all, which to my knowledge is not something the MTA does)

1) Good point.

2) No, for reasons Bobpanda already stated... The problem with the Q1 is that is totally supplemental (to the 43).... Adding a LTD to that route would even be more wasteful than having a LTD on the Q36.... The bulk of (EB) Q1 riders are off the bus by Springfield (@ Hillside).... Springfield/Hillside isn't all that far away from 165th for buses (Q1's) to be running LTD....

I would say the main rationale for making Q36 LTD on Hillside is that the bus is heavily utilized by passengers east of 212th; a fair amount of them would probably not take the Q36 if it had to do the local slog on Hillside, which is pretty slow during rush hours......

If that's the case, they would've thrown LTD service on the 36 when the 43 got it.....

I think it has to do w/ the MTA not wanting to (what they'd deem as) overserving the Q43... So they threw LTD's on the 36. 

Archived