Shattering Bus Shelter Glass

QM1to6Ave

I'm wondering if this problem has been occurring outside of Queens; after each big snowstorm, I'll pass by at least 1 or 2 bus shelters with a totally shattered side glass pane. It seems like the snow is somehow breaking the glass. Luckily, it seems to be some sort of safety glass that is not particularly sharp when it shatters, but dangerous nonetheless.

When I call in the glass, they usually get it replaced pretty quickly, but the workers do not always clean up the broken pieces of glass.  

I saw one like that the other day, glass was fixed but there's still broken glass everywhere. WTF?

Definitely a safety hazard with all the slippery snow and ice left over. I see the dynaserve trucks out cleaning the shelters fairly often so I'm surprised they haven't cleaned it up yet. 

I'm wondering if this problem has been occurring outside of Queens; after each big snowstorm, I'll pass by at least 1 or 2 bus shelters with a totally shattered side glass pane. It seems like the snow is somehow breaking the glass. Luckily, it seems to be some sort of safety glass that is not particularly sharp when it shatters, but dangerous nonetheless.

When I call in the glass, they usually get it replaced pretty quickly, but the workers do not always clean up the broken pieces of glass.  

My guess is that it's either ice, or the snowplows pushing ice and debris into the bus shelters (there are already videos of the plow snow knocking over people, busting car dealership windows, etc.)

This was happening before the snowstorms. I've seen them Staten Island mostly.

Exactly what I said to myself upon reading the first couple posts....

I think it's more due to either some minor auto accident(s) (if you wanna call it that; i.e. like a car jumping the curb or something, with no injuries to anyone), or nothing more than petty vandalism..... I don't think it's snow causing the broken glasses at these bus stop shelters.....

Exactly what I said to myself upon reading the first couple posts....

I think it's more due to either some minor auto accident(s) (if you wanna call it that; i.e. like a car jumping the curb or something, with no injuries to anyone), or nothing more than petty vandalism..... I don't think it's snow causing the broken glasses at these bus stop shelters.....

This was happening before the snowstorms. I've seen them Staten Island mostly.

Interesting. I've only been seeing it since around New Years, which was when all the snow started. 

Could be that some kids found it funny to destroy the glass. Not sure if that happens in New York but it happens over here so I'm not ruling it out for NYC.

That's definitely a thing here. Nothing like waking up in the morning and arriving at a shelter with completely shattered glass and beer bottles everywhere.

I still wonder if this is related to temperature change or something...every single time, it occured during a period of snow (even this morning it was snowing). I'm not saying correlation is causation but still...Its hard to beleive some kid gets a thrill out shattering random panes of glass

Archived