Homeless harassing passengers at Port Authority

46Dover

I can contest to the hispanics not being homeless that be hanging around Lakewood Terminal. They do that everyday, its just a hangout spot, plus the 559 rides heavy with hispanics. For that reason i wont fool with the 559, lol im not tryna get in a pissing contest with fares.

As for the PABT they simply run that place imo. Something needs to be done. Its a major transfer point and you cant have them just hanging around showering in the restrooms. Believe it or not i had to nerve to use the bathroom inside. Walk in the restroom and this homeless is just in a full blown shave. Shirt off, hair all over the place. Me being the way I am i say man are you serious.

Well I usually use the North Wing more for the 319, but the South Wing restrooms are awful I agree, the ones by the ticket counters always have homeless in there shaving & washing up and the smell is overpowering. I'll only use the restroom by the 300 gates. Not crazy about loitering whether it's homeless or not, if they're not there to catch a bus then they need to be told to leave or be arrested. Unless of course their busfans... :D

I can contest to the hispanics not being homeless that be hanging around Lakewood Terminal. They do that everyday, its just a hangout spot, plus the 559 rides heavy with hispanics. For that reason i wont fool with the 559, lol im not tryna get in a pissing contest with fares.

As for the PABT they simply run that place imo. Something needs to be done. Its a major transfer point and you cant have them just hanging around showering in the restrooms. Believe it or not i had to nerve to use the bathroom inside. Walk in the restroom and this homeless is just in a full blown shave. Shirt off, hair all over the place. Me being the way I am i say man are you serious.

559 ---> 317 (towards asbury).... Yep.... Heavy hispanic usage alright.

As for PABT, for starters, they can try their hand at remodeling the place (not just to rid themselves of the homeless, but it's long overdue anyway... place is f***ing drab)..... When that happens, you can bet the homeless will not be so eager to wandering/loitering about the place..... Dull places/areas tend to attract homeless folks anyway (with good reason).... Probably a f***ed up analogy, but I'ma say it anyway - It's like spring cleaning your house if you have a rodent problem - rats/mice will not stay inside a house that has too much of an aura/smell of cleanliness to it (unless the homeowners stupidly leave food about the place, which would make the cleaning process to get rid of the rodents, pointless).... The thinking is, if they remodel/revamp/clean up/brighten PABT, that'll put the bug in those homeless folks' ear that, y'all aint welcome here no more....

Well I usually use the North Wing more for the 319, but the South Wing restrooms are awful I agree, the ones by the ticket counters always have homeless in there shaving & washing up and the smell is overpowering. I'll only use the restroom by the 300 gates.

Not crazy about loitering whether it's homeless or not, if they're not there to catch a bus then they need to be told to leave or be arrested. Unless of course their busfans... :D

In the case of Lakewood terminal in-particular, I don't agree.... Those hispanics that hang out there seem to be chill with the guy that runs the taxi service out of the terminal.... They don't f*** with nobody, so leave them alone.....

I saw a sight of a homeless people asking people on line to board my bus and that same guy has been walking his same path down Port Authority on the 400 gates. Now I know homelessness has been talked about in posts on other forums, but what I saw almost brought me to a breaking point, not so much to start a fight, but just to stand up and say "enough" I understand what you are saying, and I am not necessarily out to criticize you for it. Yes admittedly like yourself I tend to become alarmed when I see a homeless man say in the subway car and obviously in a diseased and unclean state (dirty, smells, possibly may have diseases that can be infectious) . So yes it is a nuisance. Sure many times the stench of a homeless man can be so overwhelming for the sake of my own health now I have to move into the next subway car at the next approaching station, no choice. But ultimately I blame the social services agencies in this city (Well in New York City - which situation I understand better, so allow me to talk about the problems in the Big Apple as a comparison to Jersey for argument's sake, since I am not as familiar with the problems in NJ to be fair)  for screwing things up here. My point was that most of the persons who end up homeless are this way because of a mental health condition ... they cannot support themselves. The appropriate thing to do for such individuals is to place them in institutions with appropriate medical staff to provide them with an assisted living lifestyle. But of course the government does not want to do that. They shut down the asylums a long time down displacing all the mentally ill who need care. Now they are thrown into prisons because even the NYPD doesn't even know what to do, and many POs admitted so, the fact that this is a frustrating situation thats beyond their scope of their duties. One last point is that the conditions of the homeless shelters today is horrendous. Unsanitary conditions, overcrowded, and really the atmosphere is dangerous. Many times over, people has stated blatantly that they are afraid for their lives in the homeless shelter systems which can be even worse than the prisons as we don't necessarily have armed corrections officers to establish order. Hence the high rate of physical assault and sexual assault in the shelters. So these are the perplexing problems leading to what you are seeing with the homeless being displaced, occupying transit hubs and the like.
When i went to Boston in january, i walked into south station and saw 20 homeless sleeping in the eating area. My gf couldn't get why I was so shocked.I was shocked because I have never seen that here.I had a conversation with a guy that got nabbed for aggressive panhandling, he said he would rather sleep on the el all night than the shelter because of the conditions.I totally agree with you. You can bitch and whine about the homeless, but have you thought about contributing to solving the problem? I dont think many people think of it like that, it seems like you do and i 100% agree with you.Have you seen Utahs approach? I find the results interesting.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Overwhelming? Really? Wonder how on earth that could actually happenSimple, the airport offers the homeless a place to stay warm during the cold months. And PAPD only do is kick them from the inside of the terminals when its busy
Its true here too.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i went to Boston in january, i walked into south station and saw 20 homeless sleeping in the eating area. My gf couldn't get why I was so shocked. I was shocked because I have never seen that here. I had a conversation with a guy that got nabbed for aggressive panhandling, he said he would rather sleep on the el all night than the shelter because of the conditions. I totally agree with you. You can bitch and whine about the homeless, but have you thought about contributing to solving the problem? I dont think many people think of it like that, it seems like you do and i 100% agree with you. Have you seen Utahs approach? I find the results interesting. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. Can't run away from the problem. Things need to be done on the part of the politicians. However (proven in a recent independant university study posted on CNN recently) our country functions more like a olgiarchy rather than a democracy.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gilens%20homepage%20materials/Gilens%20and%20Page/Gilens%20and%20Page%202014-Testing%20Theories%203-7-14.pdf

The city officials are not really interested in providing solutions to many of the social problems we may see in the tri-state area. Nobody cares. They would rather continue to cater to the elitist groups who are in effect destroying this economy and oppressing the poor. Thats the truth.

So really no wonder we see so many homeless on the street in an age where poverty levels are at a level not seen since the Great Depression! Something is clearly wrong here.

• 2 weeks later...

From the sounds of it, I'm guessing that NYC is regressing back to the pre-Giuliani days.  I am now starting to dread my trip to NYC on Saturday because I've got to deal with PABT (traveling from Pittsburgh on Greyhound for Saturday's Pirates-Yankees game in the Bronx).

And the homeless are a big issue at Suburban and Market East stations in Philly.  I've seen homeless men shaving at Suburban Station among other things, which is why I would try to find and use a bathroom before getting to Market East or Suburban.

From the sounds of it, I'm guessing that NYC is regressing back to the pre-Giuliani days.  I am now starting to dread my trip to NYC on Saturday because I've got to deal with PABT (traveling from Pittsburgh on Greyhound for Saturday's Pirates-Yankees game in the Bronx).

And the homeless are a big issue at Suburban and Market East stations in Philly.  I've seen homeless men shaving at Suburban Station among other things, which is why I would try to find and use a bathroom before getting to Market East or Suburban.

I never had a problem in Philly.

• 7 months later...

Homeless Man at PABT attacks another man with a bottle over a cigarette

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/homeless-man-attacks-57-year-old-broken-bottle-cops-article-1.2048120

The incident happened across the street, though within the shadows of the PABT.

I've never really encountered any issues in the PABT, it has always been outside. And the only time I had ever felt unsafe in NYC or NJ (except when I was six and a homeless guy went crazy on me in Jersey CIty in the early 90's) was at the NW corner of 41st & 8th Ave at 01am in the morning when someone was clearly sizing me up and not in a friendly way. Mind you I had just gotten off the 163 and was in work (business casual) clothes. 

The incident happened across the street, though within the shadows of the PABT.

I've never really encountered any issues in the PABT, it has always been outside. And the only time I had ever felt unsafe in NYC or NJ (except when I was six and a homeless guy went crazy on me in Jersey CIty in the early 90's) was at the NW corner of 41st & 8th Ave at 01am in the morning when someone was clearly sizing me up and not in a friendly way. Mind you I had just gotten off the 163 and was in work (business casual) clothes.

Just go to the 4th floor, it's horrific

Archived