Ten injured — two critically — when van strikes MTA bus in Queens

Harry

post-5097-0-53907800-1399122590_thumb.jpg
Ten people were injured — two critically — Friday night after a van slammed into a city bus in Queens, officials said. The white airport shuttle van hit the (MTA) Q12 bus broadside on Northern Blvd. at Prince St. in Flushing, just paces from the Van Wyck Expressway, at about 9:50 p.m., officials said. When the smoke cleared, the van’s hood was crumpled back about two feet, witnesses said. Paramedics rushed 10 people to New York Hospital Queens. Two men — the bus and van drivers — suffered critical, but non-life-threatening injuries, officials said. The others, two women and six men, sustained serious injuries, officials said. The bus had just begun its route and had no passengers aboard, an MTA spokeswoman said.

Read more: Source

I hope the injured people are alright, but this doesn't make sense to me...

The Q12 doesn't run at that section of Northern Blvd (at Prince St.), so I would think it was an OOS bus, unless I'm thinking something wrong. On another web site though, they are saying the bus was making a left turn while it was hit. This doesn't add up. So the bus was making a left turn on to prince street on Northern (usually the Q12 doesn't go there) and it got hit by a van on the opposite side of Northern? Uh I think this needs explanaton.

I hope the injured people are alright, but this doesn't make sense to me...

The Q12 doesn't run at that section of Northern Blvd (at Prince St.), so I would think it was an OOS bus, unless I'm thinking something wrong.

It must be a typo from the article. It states the bus has just began its route with no passengers, when in fact the B/O was most likely en route to its first stop in order for him/her to begin their run. So I agree the bus was probably OOS, unlike what the author in the Daily News stated. 

It is possible the operator of the van was speeding leading up to the collision. I mean private van operators do this all the time with their aggressive driving. But thats left up to speculation at this point.

Archived