Component repairs in the works for the BMT 4th Avenue Line, Update on Sea Beach Rehab Project - MTA

realizm

Capture_zpsdf7a2ea4.png

The MTA is now looking to close a bid for a new project to perform major repairs on the BMT 4th Avenue Line in Brooklyn.

Scope of work includes platform floor repair including platform edge/rubbing board replacement, tactile panel strip, and concrete slab repair. Bidding is set for October fopr work to be carried out in a 17 month timeframe.

As a appendage (old news) the Sea Beach Rehabilitation Line is slated to begin in November 2014 (Refer to MTA Capitol Conctruction Dashboard by clicking here and scolling to New York City Transit - Passenger Stations column).

The Montague Street tubes are almost complete and it will reopen in October 2014.

Work will include rehabilitation of control house and support structures, replacement of the concete and metal canopy passageways, enclosure between platform stairs, overhauls of the mezzanine to platform stairs and canopies, and rehabilitation of platforms including canopy structure. In addition to this, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Concrete benchwall and tunnel walls will be preformed. The mainline track replacement is due to be completed during the rehabilitation project. The project will be 100% complete if all goes according to plan in September 2018.

Flood mitigation work are also in the planning stages to floodproof the Sea Beach Line. Measures such as floodgates, drainage improvements, and pump upgrades will be examined before the final design phase is complete.

As a appendage (old news) the Sea Beach Rehabilitation Line is slated to begin in November 2014 (Refer to MTA Capitol Conctruction Dashboard by clicking here and scolling to New York City Transit - Passenger Stations column).

The Montague Street tubes are almost complete and it will reopen in October 2014.

Work will include rehabilitation of control house and support structures, replacement of the concete and metal canopy passageways, enclosure between platform stairs, overhauls of the mezzanine to platform stairs and canopies, and rehabilitation of platforms including canopy structure. In addition to this, station aesthetics will be remedied and artwork will be installed. Concrete benchwall and tunnel walls will be preformed. The mainline track replacement is due to be completed during the rehabilitation project. The project will be 100% complete if all goes according to plan in September 2018.

Flood mitigation work are also in the planning stages to floodproof the Sea Beach Line. Measures such as floodgates, drainage improvements, and pump upgrades will be examined before the final design phase is complete.

Looks like artwork will be installed as well. I'm hoping for some Chinese-themed art.

Looks like artwork will be installed as well. I'm hoping for some Chinese-themed art.

Definitely looking forward to this. With the repairs about to begin on the 4th Avenue Line once they are done the Sea Beach line is going to look like a serious engineering masterpiece. The MTA is not playing they are completely overhauling the Sea Beach line end to end.

Watch, there are going to be tons of N via West End GOs as the work begins, temporary platforms on the Sea Beach side etc much like how they reconstructed the Culver Viaduct but hen they are finished its going to be almost a flagship BMT line fully restored stations and open cut walls, electrical lines signals whatever repaired upgraded and with continuous concrete ties.

In the end it will be worth it as N ridership is increasing. Also the reason why the MTA decided to send the pending R211s to the N as well as the E on the QBL, etc. as stated in a recent announcement.

As far as 8th Avenue being in one the largest Asian communities in the nation, its possible they may do that or with the mezzanines restore it according to the historical society. And finally the 7th Ave entrance will be reopened and rebuilt. 

It's te stairs tat te news were talking about, rite?

Yes the stairs that are on the 7th Avenue end of the platform. The way everything is currently in such a station with high passenger usage we need stairs on both ends of the platform. Amazingly the MTA only decides to do this now as part of the Sea Beach rehabilitation megaproject after years of neglect with the open cut line. They could have overhauled the station a long time ago.

Capture_zps2c488288.jpg

Yes the stairs that are on the 7th Avenue end of the platform. The way everything is currently in such a station with high passenger usage we need stairs on both ends of the platform. Amazingly the MTA only decides to do this now as part of the Sea Beach rehabilitation megaproject after years of neglect with the open cut line. They could have overhauled the station a long time ago.

Capture_zps2c488288.jpg

Found that they need the rehab. That have stuff too old and corroded.

*look above for image

Stations like that hardly have any use, it's a low density residential neighborhood. They're usually the last to get an overhaul. They only really need a patchwork.

Stations like that hardly have any use, it's a low density residential neighborhood. They're usually the last to get an overhaul. They only really need a patchwork.

Yeah but Brooklyn Chinatown is not a low density neighborhood. Its a major Brooklyn commercial district now and the third largest Asian community in the Eastern US as of 2014, larger then even the community in Philadelphia by geographic location and population! I know because every AM rush, I get on 8th Avenue, my home stop for the N... forget it, crushloaded cars esp. by 36th Street. The N is more heavily used then the D. Brooklyn Chinatown and Bensonhurst for that matter are still growing in population (Because of Brooklyn Chinatown). So they must open up the 7th Avenue exit.

Wait matter of fact this is why the MTA wants to increase the number of cars on the R211 order now because of the N.

I think they should rebuild the southbound express track for future reroutes.

Come to think of it though I cant say if they will restore the fourth track. The problem with the Sea Beach line is that there are no island platform express stations like the Brighton, Culver or West End Lines from the South Brooklyn BMT division. If that was the case then I can definitely see a 4 track restored Sea Beach line.

They usually dont use the middle track currently for reroutes, mostly used for put ins, usually for the R running light to 59th Street, rush hours.

if i was the mta i would changes like two stations into express station. It would take  to long and money thing but it not going to happen. But who know. i would changed the kings highway and 18 ave into express stop. too bad that new Utrecht cant be done because of the weight and columns alignment. 

I can see them adding switches at New Utrecht Av between the local tracks and the remaining express track, but that's about it. I don't see them restoring the southbound express track as there's nothing gained from such an expense. And they sure aren't rebuilding stations to make them island/express stations. That would cost way too much and there isn't a demand for express service on Sea Beach.

You sure know a lot about the neighborhood. /s

The way Sea Beach is segregated is from 8 Avenue to Avenue U, it's mostly Asian. After Avenue U, the only people who remain on the train are from Gravesend or Coney Island, and they're usually the other (non-Asian) minorities. Travel between stations on the Sea Beach line by Asians (such as from Kings Highway to 8 Avenue) is common, but people from 86 Street or Stillwell Avenue generally want to go right ahead to Bay Ridge, Downtown Brooklyn, or Manhattan. Given that such a minority of the line would be served by an express, it makes sense to not have one.

I can see them adding switches at New Utrecht Av between the local tracks and the remaining express track, but that's about it. I don't see them restoring the southbound express track as there's nothing gained from such an expense. And they sure aren't rebuilding stations to make them island/express stations. That would cost way too much and there isn't a demand for express service on Sea Beach.

New Uterect Ave/62nd Street on the N come to think of it would be ideal for 4 tracks with double-crossover switches. The train dispatchers can then throw putins right into service right there at the stop on the D and N from Coney Island Yard itself. (running light to 62nd Street)

Why am I saying this? That was the practice before the budget cuts when we still had the W. T/Ds used to throw them right into service to/from Coney Island terminal during rush hours.

New Uterect Ave/62nd Street on the N come to think of it would be ideal for 4 tracks with double-crossover switches. The train dispatchers can then throw putins right into service right there at the stop on the D and N from Coney Island Yard itself. (running light to 62nd Street)

Why am I saying this? That was the practice before the budget cuts when we still had the W. T/Ds used to throw them right into service to/from Coney Island terminal during rush hours.

That is a good idea. Is it justified to have additional service via Sea Beach during Rush Hours?

That is a good idea. Is it justified to have additional service via Sea Beach during Rush Hours?

Certaintly. They will be needed as the MTA anticipates a definite need for new cars on the N for service increases. That will mean that they have the N on target with the R211 order (As most of the R179 order is 4 car sets and they will not start an option 2 order as originally planned). Plus the MTA site confirms an increase of ridership along the Sea Beach Line by station.

From a train dispatchers point of view, 62nd Street or New Uterect Avenue will be an ideal place for put ins because of 8th Avenue. Signals and Track division could install 4 tracks from the single middle service track with double crossover switches and throw cars in there directly from CIY, to the Broadway Line via Montague or Bridge why not? That gives the train dispatchers in RTO division the edge.

With the W certain to come back in the end of 2016, (The Second Ave Subway changes in service affecting the Broadway line) they may reinstate the pattern of sending W trains off the record from or to Coney island in service via 4th Avenue Local/Montague Street Tunnel to Whitehall Street with the R. So why not then create the switches and new tail tracks at 62nd Street or Ft. Hamilton Pkwy? Because the following stop after Ft. Hamilton Pkwy is 8th Avenue with ridership exploding at that point. (New business and land development in the area is part of the reason aside from demographics in terms of a growing population in Brooklyn Chinatown as highlighted before).

Compared to many manhattan stations that is. I've been out there before and all the times I've been it seems desolate. Might need another exit and some redoing but it can't be that big of a deal tho. Also to hell with the artwork that crap is ugly anyway.

The same can be said with Utica Avenue on the 3 and 4 at first glance it may look desloated however it is the busiest station on Brooklyn not counting Borough Hall and the Atlantic Avenue junction.

You have to be there on rush hours to know with a certainty that 8th Avenue is getting overwhelmed.

The stations have to be completely overhauled, the civil engineers involved in the project knows that re-concreting must be performed in the stations and the benchwalls along the open cut ROW itself. The artwork? Well they are bringing back the artwork that existed when the line opened in 1917 so its fitting for the Sea Beach Line centennial when it is finished.

Those stations need to be rebuilt, pretty much completely. Columns, platforms, walls, especially the station houses. The Sea Beach looks like something out of the badlands of Afghanistan. Mind you, the average homeowner would pretty much rather their family perish while their property collapses into the Sea Beach ROW than dare put up with any sort of serious work being done in their backyard. So that's a bit of a roadblock.

Thats a good point because station platforms will have to be shut down in one direction or temporary platforms may need to be built as they did on the Culver Viaduct or the BMT West End in recent memory. No the line will have the N/B or S/B platforms at select station shut down, I remembered the switch layouts along the ROW, temporary platforms might not work depending on how extensive the work is and we know its going to be huge..

Not sure how the MTA will remedy that if its even possible. 

I'll admit because I am only human its going to suck if they decide to close down one of the platforms at 8th Avenue and I will have to settle for a plan B for the rush hour commutes. I may have to walk all the way to Bay Ridge Ave or 59th Street for the R, but its not a huge inconvenience to many at Brooklyn Chinatown or Bensonhurst since we still have the option of using the buses to the D or the R plus the N reroutes that will occur as a result. Many will bitch though but its understandable. Wait till 2015 for my rambling posts when it happens...

We've dealt with this before during the tons of N GOs that came our way in South Brooklyn. We do have the West End Line as an immediate alternative. The folks that are dependent on an isolated line say on the A in Queens, or the J and M on the Eastern Div BMT, now they had it pretty bad.

I think they should just install island platforms from a rehab. It might be much cheaper to just build a new platform in the middle, with a ramp for wheelchair's.

They could rehab both sides of the station if they installed a temporary island platform. But the number of stations where an island platform would fit is limited. I believe according to the MTA itself, the stations which would get temporary platforms would be 8 Avenue and Bay Parkway, but it's hasn't been specified where the platforms would be placed.

Source: http://www.homereporternews.com/news/general/two-elevators-coming-to-the-n-line-during-massive-rehabilitation/article_f6bc6a20-2d28-11e3-a283-001a4bcf887a.html

They could rehab both sides of the station if they installed a temporary island platform. But the number of stations where an island platform would fit is limited. I believe according to the MTA itself, the stations which would get temporary platforms would be 8 Avenue and Bay Parkway, but it's hasn't been specified where the platforms would be placed.

Source: http://www.homereporternews.com/news/general/two-elevators-coming-to-the-n-line-during-massive-rehabilitation/article_f6bc6a20-2d28-11e3-a283-001a4bcf887a.html

This is some good information and a good read. I have a better idea now on how the MTA will approach this as the CCC Dashboard even is sort of basic on what the contracts call for.

True, the temp platforms cant be installed in certain stations such as 20th Avenue and New Uterect, as the stations follow the ROW into tunnel underpasses.

Archived