LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

On 2/9/2024 at 9:40 AM, LuckyStrikes said:

Hey, just completed the cognitive and vocabulary exam yesterday 2/8 now it’s time to play the waiting game for the invite to the S&D overview. 

Congrats! What were some types of the questions they asked? 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got an invite to the locomotive engineer open house exam this month. But I haven’t received an invite for assistant conductor like they promised… what can I do about this??? They haven’t committed to that for me.

9 hours ago, 2ride said:

I got an invite to the locomotive engineer open house exam this month. But I haven’t received an invite for assistant conductor like they promised… what can I do about this??? They haven’t committed to that for me.

Do you want locomotive engineer or assistant conductor? You have to pick one path pretty soon anyways. Not like you can choose both paths. 

55 minutes ago, 30Bruins said:

For people that have sat for the S&D test, how do they ask about the signals? Do they give the aspect and ask you to write the definition? Or do they give the name? Or a combination? Thanks a lot.

First part of the test is just signals alone. They give you the answer sheet with 136 blank spaces and test booklet has the pictures of the signals and you just write them on the answer sheet as you go along. Second part is the 20 definitions and 20 indications. 

59 minutes ago, 30Bruins said:

For people that have sat for the S&D test, how do they ask about the signals? Do they give the aspect and ask you to write the definition? Or do they give the name? Or a combination? Thanks a lot.

First part is just identifying the signals. They give an answer sheet with blank spaces for all the signals. The test booklet has the pictures of signals and you just write what they are on the answer sheet. Second part of the test are the definitions and indications. Just the names, no pictures on the second part. 

6 minutes ago, Styllez said:

First part is just identifying the signals. They give an answer sheet with blank spaces for all the signals. The test booklet has the pictures of signals and you just write what they are on the answer sheet. Second part of the test are the definitions and indications. Just the names, no pictures on the second part. 

Thanks! So for part two they'll say Absolute Clear for example, then I'd have to write: Proceed; Track clear to next interlocking signal. Approach next interlocking signal prepared to stop. (but for part one they would give the picture and I would just have to say "Absolute Clear"?)

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Do you want locomotive engineer or assistant conductor? You have to pick one path pretty soon anyways. Not like you can choose both paths. 

I want assistant conductor, that was my primary choice. They were suppose to send me an invitation for that, but they never did. I ended up getting an invite for engineer also because I applied for that one as well. Yesterday I went to Hillside facility to see if someone can help me with the assistant conductor invitation and the security guard who saw me was mean, nasty, and uncooperative. It’s been 3 weeks since they’ve said they’d send me an invite.

1 hour ago, 30Bruins said:

Thanks! So for part two they'll say Absolute Clear for example, then I'd have to write: Proceed; Track clear to next interlocking signal. Approach next interlocking signal prepared to stop. (but for part one they would give the picture and I would just have to say "Absolute Clear"?)

Correct! You got it.

1 hour ago, 2ride said:

I want assistant conductor, that was my primary choice. They were suppose to send me an invitation for that, but they never did. I ended up getting an invite for engineer also because I applied for that one as well. Yesterday I went to Hillside facility to see if someone can help me with the assistant conductor invitation and the security guard who saw me was mean, nasty, and uncooperative. It’s been 3 weeks since they’ve said they’d send me an invite.

Sometimes they’ll look at your resume and see your a better fit for engine service than an assistant conductor. There are engineers who applied for other stuff and got called for engine service instead. Even though they never applied for it. 

30 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Sometimes they’ll look at your resume and see your a better fit for engine service than an assistant conductor. There are engineers who applied for other stuff and got called for engine service instead. Even though they never applied for it. 

I have a lot of customer service and safety management experience on my resume. Even if they think I’m a better fit for driving, I’m not really interested in doing that 40 hours a week. If they ask me to drive trains from and into the yard, I don’t mind. If they ask me to do 1 or 2 stops, I don’t mind it either. But not 24/7.

Edited by 2ride

53 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I have a lot of customer service and safety management experience on my resume. Even if they think I’m a better fit for driving, I’m not really interested in doing that 40 hours a week. If they ask me to drive trains from and into the yard, I don’t mind. If they ask me to do 1 or 2 stops, I don’t mind it either. But not 24/7.

you don't drive a train you operate it

4 minutes ago, Island said:

if you plan working for a RR you should at least know you don't drive trains its not a car

Yo… I’m gonna say it again. I know what’s going on in the railroad. You don’t need to help me decide what I should do for a living or career. Mind your own business and focus on yourself getting in instead. Let me pick a job I want, a choice that will make me happy. 

I don’t wanna operate a train. 

Edited by 2ride

1 minute ago, 2ride said:

Yo… I’m gonna say it again. I know what’s going on in the railroad. You don’t need to help me decide what I should do for a living or career. Mind your own business and focus on yourself getting in instead. Let me pick a job I want, a choice that will make me happy. 

im just saying your terminology is wrong you said you don't want to drive trains im saying you meant to say you don't want to operate them, and i already work for the mta im good

Just now, Island said:

im just saying your terminology is wrong you said you don't want to drive trains im saying you meant to say you don't want to operate them, and i already work for the mta im good

Ok thank you. 

happy railroading.

4 minutes ago, Island said:

I don’t have the qualifications or skill set to operate a train with hundreds of passengers on it 5-6 days a week 40 hours each day. I only have a CDL for trucking, that’s about it. 

30 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I don’t have the qualifications or skill set to operate a train with hundreds of passengers on it 5-6 days a week 40 hours each day. I only have a CDL for trucking, that’s about it. 

Trust me. Most of the LIRR engineers are off the street, nobody really has the skill set and those that have done it from a prior railroad may even have to adjust to each trains handling, some have better brakes than others, smoother acceleration, etc. I was a bit scared to do it at first but you eventually get used to it. It's a fair amount of multitasking as well. The hard part is the studying to be honest and remembering to operate according to the rules. If you're more of a people person I understand the reason to choose assistant conductor but definitely don't count yourself off engineer solely because you lack the skill set. 

2 hours ago, 2ride said:

They probably saw your CDL License on your online application and figured otherwise 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:25 PM, 30Bruins said:

Congrats! What were some types of the questions they asked? 

Just simple sequences and flow charts nothing you can’t handle. Don’t worry about how many you can actually finish just focus on what you can get right in the time allotted. 

18 hours ago, LuckyStrikes said:

Just simple sequences and flow charts nothing you can’t handle. Don’t worry about how many you can actually finish just focus on what you can get right in the time allotted. 

Wow so it really is quite time pressuring. How much time and how many questions would you say? 

1 hour ago, 30Bruins said:

Wow so it really is quite time pressuring. How much time and how many questions would you say? 

Vocab is like 40 words with about 5-7 minutes. The sequencing portion is 3 sections. 5 mins to read instructions and 5 mins to do the first two sections each which have about 20+ questions each. Last section is 5 questions but they give you 30 mins so u can figure it’ll take some time. 

5 hours ago, Styllez said:

Vocab is like 40 words with about 5-7 minutes. The sequencing portion is 3 sections. 5 mins to read instructions and 5 mins to do the first two sections each which have about 20+ questions each. Last section is 5 questions but they give you 30 mins so u can figure it’ll take some time. 

Got it thanks 

10 hours ago, Styllez said:

This is spot on.