LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

5 hours ago, Mnoer4883 said:

Hey everyone and congrats on the progress. I wanna know if I should have emailed HR back after my interview. I know I scored probably the highest on my S&D test back in January. Still haven't heard anything wondering if I should give them a call. I would have been done with Phase 1 by now.  Anyone go to interview after Jan 4 S&D test and not get called back

What's Up Man, Good to hear from you again. How would you know you scored the highest though? You were saying this a while back in January. I would reach back out to HR tho because you def should have gotten word by now. I know our Phase 1 class was the biggest they've ever had in history we had 34 people in there. One of my boys while he's not an engineer he's a conductor after he had his panel interview after SnD he didn't hear back for months and out of nowhere they called him to start. I would just write some emails and call back keep calling what does it hurt. Just so you'd atleast know. Unless you completely bombed the interview, wish you the best man 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2023 at 7:30 PM, LinkyOG said:

Again you were right lol  so I got the call yesterday and she informed that I'm in the class that starts August 2nd but keep studying because if anyone mails background or medical I'm next up and going to be pushed into the April class but they'll try to inform me by the middle of next week if they do move me 

Just coming back to this to see if anybody failed/if they're bumping you up to April. Just curious!

I got an email from the background check company on Tuesday evening to tell me that my background check has been completed, but so far I haven't been called by the LIRR since my initial phone call on the 14th 

On 3/23/2023 at 2:20 PM, jbass1993 said:

Just coming back to this to see if anybody failed/if they're bumping you up to April. Just curious!

I got an email from the background check company on Tuesday evening to tell me that my background check has been completed, but so far I haven't been called by the LIRR since my initial phone call on the 14th 

Hey Man, nah they haven't contacted me she said if they did it would be by the end of this week. So I guess I'm in August I've sent in info to the background checking company all week. It's all good tho, just a little bummed out to miss out on that seniority LOL. I'm going to need updates from you on progress in Phase 2 man gotta know what I'm in store for. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:50 PM, LinkyOG said:

Hey Man, nah they haven't contacted me she said if they did it would be by the end of this week. So I guess I'm in August I've sent in info to the background checking company all week. It's all good tho, just a little bummed out to miss out on that seniority LOL. I'm going to need updates from you on progress in Phase 2 man gotta know what I'm in store for. 

No doubt you could always DM me if you wanted to, we were in the same phase 1 so we def know each other, so I’ll keep you in the loop 

Greetings all. Went to the open house on 3/8. I was told I would be called for the overview in 2 weeks. I called Ms Drew last week and was told “they’ve had so many events, and a lot of paperwork to get through”  Should I be worried? I’ve been studying the signals and definitions like crazy (family member is an engineer) 

On 3/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, kev2112 said:

Greetings all. Went to the open house on 3/8. I was told I would be called for the overview in 2 weeks. I called Ms Drew last week and was told “they’ve had so many events, and a lot of paperwork to get through”  Should I be worried? I’ve been studying the signals and definitions like crazy (family member is an engineer) 

Nothing to be worried about wait and be patient, I have friends that went to the same open house that haven't heard anything either. I waited almost 2 months to hear back, keep studying and Utilizing the tools your have right now, utilize that advantage get ahead and stay ahead. 

1 hour ago, LinkyOG said:

Nothing to be worried about wait and be patient, I have friends that went to the same open house that haven't heard anything either. I waited almost 2 months to hear back, keep studying and Utilizing the tools your have right now, utilize that advantage get ahead and stay ahead. 

Appreciate you, thanks

What's going on guys. Couple week lurker here my first time posting. I applied to the position beginning of March. Got email 2 weeks later for cognitive. I went to the cognitive on 3/20. I got an email 2 days later for an invite for the 26th overview. Seems like they are really moving people along. I'm guessing they call who ever scored highest on the cognitive and/or has the experience they are looking for. I only seen about 8 people from my overview at S&D overview out of the 60-80 that showed up to the S&D...I'm already through the signals packet 4 days after the overview. Now onto definitions....

5 hours ago, JTTMI2020 said:

What's going on guys. Couple week lurker here my first time posting. I applied to the position beginning of March. Got email 2 weeks later for cognitive. I went to the cognitive on 3/20. I got an email 2 days later for an invite for the 26th overview. Seems like they are really moving people along. I'm guessing they call who ever scored highest on the cognitive and/or has the experience they are looking for. I only seen about 8 people from my overview at S&D overview out of the 60-80 that showed up to the S&D...I'm already through the signals packet 4 days after the overview. Now onto definitions....

I went on 3/8. Still waiting 

On 3/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, drenyce311 said:

I think the background agency is done by an outside source. Make sure you put the correct dates. Or close enough. They’ll contact the employer for verification. I suggest to get you IRS Transcript It shows the employer and years you worked there. The best way is to read write recite. No way around it. You want the job put in the time. Don’t worry about comprehending the information. Just memorize it even though you don’t know what it means yet. Some classes were 6 weeks to study. Some 8. When I did it. They were desperate for a class. They gave us 4 weeks to study. I took 2 weeks off from work to study all day everyday. I worked overnights so it was easier for me to study when I got home and no kids around. You gotta put yourself in that mindset. I was eating and breathing all this info constantly. Any chance I got I was studying something wether it was on my phone or at my desk on excel. I always advise anyone to start with the easy ones and keep adding to the list of what you know. 5 a day of each. I did exactly what @kev2112 did. 

Hey man I’m currently studying for the S&D now but I feel like I’m going so slow. I just got the packet yesterday at the overview, got home around 3 started studying right away. It is now the next day and I just finished the first page smh. How long did it take you to get thru all the definitions? They gave us 5 weeks for everything but I’m planning to have learned everything by the end of week 4 and use week 5 just to brush up on stuff. 

45 minutes ago, Styllez said:

Hey man I’m currently studying for the S&D now but I feel like I’m going so slow. I just got the packet yesterday at the overview, got home around 3 started studying right away. It is now the next day and I just finished the first page smh. How long did it take you to get thru all the definitions? They gave us 5 weeks for everything but I’m planning to have learned everything by the end of week 4 and use week 5 just to brush up on stuff. 

Did you get the packet the same day as the open house or they invited you to come back and pick it up?

Hello all, I went to the S&D on 3/19/2023 and supposed to take the test on 4/23 and was studying for the test. However I took the train operator test for the MTA NYC transit back in June of 2017 and was just officially appointed on 3/31 as a train operator for the MTA NYC transit. Not sure if I should still take the test even though I saw NYCT pays more at the beginning than LIRR or should I reach out to LIRR and withdraw my application and stick with NYCT. Any advise would be good.

6 hours ago, Miggz69 said:

Hello all, I went to the S&D on 3/19/2023 and supposed to take the test on 4/23 and was studying for the test. However I took the train operator test for the MTA NYC transit back in June of 2017 and was just officially appointed on 3/31 as a train operator for the MTA NYC transit. Not sure if I should still take the test even though I saw NYCT pays more at the beginning than LIRR or should I reach out to LIRR and withdraw my application and stick with NYCT. Any advise would be good.

It’s your call. The new wage progression is:

1st 365 days 60% - $29.94

2nd 365 days 80% - $39.92

3rd 365 days 90% - $44.91

4th 365 days 100% - 49.91

you’ll be at 80% before you graduate. Yes the training is longer and more treacherous with the amount of studying involved. But if you’re worried about money. We do make more in the long run. Also you have do what’s best for yourself. I would still take the test and still work for NYCT. You never know. If you pass great. You move on. If you fail you’re still employed by the MTA. it’s a win win. Good luck 

@drenyce311 not sure if u saw my previous message bro. 

I’m currently studying for the S&D now but I feel like I’m going so slow. I just got the packet yesterday (April 2nd) at the overview, got home around 3 started studying right away. It is now the next day (April 3rd) and I just finished the first page smh. How long did it take you to get thru all the definitions? They gave us 5 weeks for everything but I’m planning to have learned everything by the end of week 4 and use week 5 just to brush up on stuff. 

2 hours ago, Styllez said:

I’m currently studying for the S&D now but I feel like I’m going so slow. I just got the packet yesterday (April 2nd) at the overview, got home around 3 started studying right away. It is now the next day (April 3rd) and I just finished the first page smh. How long did it take you to get thru all the definitions? They gave us 5 weeks for everything but I’m planning to have learned everything by the end of week 4 and use week 5 just to brush up on stuff. 

What’s up bro. I can’t remember how much time they gave us when I did the S&D. I think it was 4 weeks. I had everything memorized by the 3rd week and just kept refreshing and reviewing until the the test. I would suggest just starting with the easy ones. Then keep adding more to it while reviewing the other stuff. Usually add 5 signals and 5 definitions a day to your list. Key is repetition. If you want the job just keep at it. Good luck. 

Edited by drenyce311

6 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

It’s your call. The new wage progression is:

1st 365 days 60% - $29.94

2nd 365 days 80% - $39.92

3rd 365 days 90% - $44.91

4th 365 days 100% - 49.91

you’ll be at 80% before you graduate. Yes the training is longer and more treacherous with the amount of studying involved. But if you’re worried about money. We do make more in the long run. Also you have do what’s best for yourself. I would still take the test and still work for NYCT. You never know. If you pass great. You move on. If you fail you’re still employed by the MTA. it’s a win win. Good luck 

Hey - quick question. This is the new wage progression for Locomotive Engineers? Just asking because I had applied back in October 2022 and it was a little less than this. I just did the whole process and I start Phase 2 next Wednesday. Is this the wage progression I should be expecting instead of the one that was on the job posting last October?

1 hour ago, jbass1993 said:

Hey - quick question. This is the new wage progression for Locomotive Engineers? Just asking because I had applied back in October 2022 and it was a little less than this. I just did the whole process and I start Phase 2 next Wednesday. Is this the wage progression I should be expecting instead of the one that was on the job posting last October?

The rates on the job listings are always outdated. We ratified a new contract in December. New rates already kicked in. 

Edited by drenyce311

5 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

The rates on the job listings are always outdated. We ratified a new contract in December. New rates already kicked in. 

That's good to know. The pay is even better than I thought. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be meeting you at some point! Looking forward to it 

On 4/4/2023 at 6:20 AM, Styllez said:

What helped me is finding similarities in the signals and definitions. I researched signal systems and applied some basic rules.  Example; anything with "/" on the top aspect of position lights will start with approach. A colored light with yellow as the top aspect will start with approach. For position lights if the top aspect is "-" and bottom "l", think of the "l" as the beginning of an M for medium clear. If the bottom aspect has "/", you can draw an S with the dots. Theirs a lot more different pointers to help remember them, just have to find them.

I actually found those pointers in an old conrail signal learning class slide. 

40 minutes ago, JTTMI2020 said:

What helped me is finding similarities in the signals and definitions. I researched signal systems and applied some basic rules.  Example; anything with "/" on the top aspect of position lights will start with approach. A colored light with yellow as the top aspect will start with approach. For position lights if the top aspect is "-" and bottom "l", think of the "l" as the beginning of an M for medium clear. If the bottom aspect has "/", you can draw an S with the dots. Theirs a lot more different pointers to help remember them, just have to find them.

I actually found those pointers in an old conrail signal learning class slide. 

Maaaaan I appreciate that! I started noticing some of that stuff and now that u confirmed it it’s a huge help. Thanks again. Any other pointers feel free to share.