LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the recruitment event one week ago. I was told I’d hear something in two weeks. I have all the signals and definitions (family member) and have been studying like crazy. Got about 100 down. Looking forward to the call and the test. Best of luck to everyone here. 

7 hours ago, crii718 said:

Hey everyone. I recently graduated from school car as a train operator for mta subway. I received an email from lirr for a recruitment event for locomotive engineer. I live in long island and I'm thinking of taking this chance for lirr. Any advice?

I would jump on it now since you’re still at the bottom of your roster before you start gaining seniority. Just don’t know how your schedule would be if you get into phase 1. Which is Wednesday nights and Saturday morning classes. 

Edited by drenyce311

12 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

Congrats congrats brother I got a 89 perhaps I Didn't make the cut for this class and I'm in August :( Nevertheless A lot of learning ahead ! You'll be operating trains by the time I start lol Good Luck Bro !  

Thank you for your congrats, I appreciate it. Keep the faith, you may still get called for April. If somebody gets jammed up on the medical or background, that could push you up. I also spoke with another guy from our class who was called for April but chose to defer to August because of a personal situation he has going on at the moment. So that pushed somebody else up who otherwise wouldn't have been in the April class. So you never know, it could be April, but if not, at least you know the beginning part is pretty much done and you'd be a lock for August

10 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Just keep studying. You never know. If anyone in doesn’t doesn’t pass the medical or background check. Pretty sure they lll start calling others asap to fill the class. 

Yeah staying on top of everything just in case been ramping back up going through the book. 

40 minutes ago, jbass1993 said:

Thank you for your congrats, I appreciate it. Keep the faith, you may still get called for April. If somebody gets jammed up on the medical or background, that could push you up. I also spoke with another guy from our class who was called for April but chose to defer to August because of a personal situation he has going on at the moment. So that pushed somebody else up who otherwise wouldn't have been in the April class. So you never know, it could be April, but if not, at least you know the beginning part is pretty much done and you'd be a lock for August

Yeah maybe they're still making calls, never know gotta look at the glass half full, If it's the April class just more time to master everything !

On 3/14/2023 at 11:08 PM, crii718 said:

Hey everyone. I recently graduated from school car as a train operator for mta subway. I received an email from lirr for a recruitment event for locomotive engineer. I live in long island and I'm thinking of taking this chance for lirr. Any advice?

I am currently waiting for Train Operator. Only did the initial pre-employment which has expired. I just got an email for Locomotive Engineer. 

On 3/14/2023 at 10:36 PM, drenyce311 said:

Just keep studying. You never know. If anyone in doesn’t doesn’t pass the medical or background check. Pretty sure they lll start calling others asap to fill the class. 

Again you were right lol  so I got the call yesterday and she informed that I'm in the class that starts August 2nd but keep studying because if anyone mails background or medical I'm next up and going to be pushed into the April class but they'll try to inform me by the middle of next week if they do move me 

On 3/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, drenyce311 said:

Good luck tomorrow. Please read through the thread. This has been discussed numerous times. A lot of helpful stuff in these 90+ pages. My advice would be just take your time and carefully read what they want answered. If you have math involved, then it’s for assistant  conductor position. Engineers doesn’t include math. Phase 1 is not signals and definition. It’s the Operating Rules. Signals and def is the next step after cognitive test. For AC there is no phases. Only for Engineers. 

Hey there. I recently graduated from train operator program for mta subways and just received an invite for locomotive engineer recruitment event. I live in farmingdale and  am thinking of going for it. I've been told that lirr engineer training is a lot harder than subways but I'm sure that the hard work and determination will pay off. Any advice? 

15 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

If anyone fails* background or medical

I can't imagine going through all these classes and testing to fail the background or medical. I just had my medical yesterday, everything went well. Background check is currently in progress. I got an email from them yesterday to provide proof of two jobs I worked at in 2014. I know I don't have any criminal history or anything shady that would cause me to fail the background check, but I'm just going to be on edge until this clears and they finally give me me the OK to quit my job. This is such a long, drawn out process, but I know it will be worth it in the end. 

3 hours ago, jbass1993 said:

I can't imagine going through all these classes and testing to fail the background or medical. I just had my medical yesterday, everything went well. Background check is currently in progress. I got an email from them yesterday to provide proof of two jobs I worked at in 2014. I know I don't have any criminal history or anything shady that would cause me to fail the background check, but I'm just going to be on edge until this clears and they finally give me me the OK to quit my job. This is such a long, drawn out process, but I know it will be worth it in the end. 

Yeah man I can't imagine having this opportunity fall through because of that either. It's wild they go back 10 years, HR was telling me place jobs that I only worked at for 2 weeks on there lol. Not really worried but you never know. Every step of the process has been a roller coaster 

3 hours ago, crii718 said:

Hey there. I recently graduated from train operator program for mta subways and just received an invite for locomotive engineer recruitment event. I live in farmingdale and  am thinking of going for it. I've been told that lirr engineer training is a lot harder than subways but I'm sure that the hard work and determination will pay off. Any advice? 

I would say go for it, I recently got through phase one and in all it was a 8 month long process from the Open House until then, it's  not something that will happen in a couple weeks. 7 Months in and I won't actually be employed until August, So Almost a year practically from the open house, Not trying to scare you in anyway I encourage you to do things that are hard and will benefit your future. I have a Biology Degree and phase one was harder than any semester I've had in school, especially because I had to juggle it with school. Idk how your work schedule will work around it but we had two people from Mass Transit in our class. Two Train Engineers one of them told me it gave them no advantage in the class because a lot of the stuff didn't translate. I don't know the exact reasons but both of them dropped out from the Phase 1 class.

It's not something you can half ass because you're just going to waste a shit load of your time, money, sick days, vacations etc. Again not trying to scare you or discourage you in any way, I hated when people just told me the worst parts of the program, there's days where you study for hours on end Im not talking 3-4 hrs more like 8-12 , it's going to be a test to your discipline, study habits, learning techniques, mental endurance and more.BUT it is worth it, I'm not even half way through the program to be a qualified engineer... lol

There's countless posts in here from qualified engineers and people that can give you a more informed scope of the job and other perspectives. I'm just speaking from what I've gone through so far in the most recent phase 1 class 

1 hour ago, LinkyOG said:

Yeah man I can't imagine having this opportunity fall through because of that either. It's wild they go back 10 years, HR was telling me place jobs that I only worked at for 2 weeks on there lol. Not really worried but you never know. Every step of the process has been a roller coaster 

yeah facts I had worked at the a CVS store on Bleecker Street for 3 days and I decided it wasn't for me, I STILL put it on there. I'm not trying to lose out on the opportunity for something stupid 

6 hours ago, jbass1993 said:

It’s happened plenty of times. 

Hi everyone. This thread has been very helpful so far. But I have a few things that I didn't see. 

1. Does anyone know if once you make it into the company are you eligible to move to a different department? How soon are you able to do that? Are you still in the union if you move to the engineering department? 

2. Does LIRR have a sustainability department or section within the company? 

3. How many years does it typically take to have a set schedule and not be on-call everyday? Is there overtime? 

4. Was there anyone working a different fulltime job with another company that has been making more than the top pay + 401k but decided to give that up for this career + benefits? 

5. In you're opinion is it worth it to give up a higher salary position at a different company to pursue this position with LIRR? 

If anyone has any information on any of the above, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much! 

On 3/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, SustainabilityEngr said:

Hi everyone. This thread has been very helpful so far. But I have a few things that I didn't see. 

1. Does anyone know if once you make it into the company are you eligible to move to a different department? How soon are you able to do that? Are you still in the union if you move to the engineering department? 

2. Does LIRR have a sustainability department or section within the company? 

3. How many years does it typically take to have a set schedule and not be on-call everyday? Is there overtime? 

4. Was there anyone working a different fulltime job with another company that has been making more than the top pay + 401k but decided to give that up for this career + benefits? 

5. In you're opinion is it worth it to give up a higher salary position at a different company to pursue this position with LIRR? 

If anyone has any information on any of the above, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much! 

1. Yes!   you can  move around the company. once every few months they post positions for transportation Manager, Road Foreman, Special Duty. You would need 1 year in the position you’re hired for before you can apply for any other position. Yes you can still pay union dues. As for trying to move into an actual engineering position (civil, electric, mechanical) is considered a downgrade. locomotive engineers used to be held a prestige position. Somewhat still holds true.  You can become conductor then become an engineer but not the other way around.

2. Our railroad is electric except for the diesels. I would assume so for a sustainability department.  You would have to keep looking at the careers website for listings. 

3.it can vary. I waited almost 2 years to have a shitty regular schedule until I was able to get back to extra list. I can have weekends off. But I chose to have mid week off. Right now since we have a new crewbook we’re short 30-40 guys. They’re plenty of overtime.  But if you own a regular schedule shift  it will be a flat 40 hour work week. You can work your days off also. So to answer your question 2-4 years for a steady schedule. 

4. People come here for the benefits despite the money they were making. I wasn’t close to top pay when I came. I was making 70k before I came here for the benefits and pension. Our top pay now is 103K a year not including incentives, holiday, OT. The only think I wish they did was match 401k’s. And yes there are plenty of people who made over 6 figures who left their jobs to be here. 

5. Depends. If you like taking orders from a snobby boss and sitting in cubicle all day. Then stay at your job. This job is not for everyone. The whole process is a mental drain on your mind and soul but rewarding and satisfying in the end. I’ve been here almost 9 years and yes it does get boring. It’s like ground dog day everyday. But it does have its moments. Just like any other job.  You have your awesome people, jerks, a**holes. It’s what you make of the job. But now the question is are you willing to give up social and family life for the first 5 years? If you’re fully vested at your company with plenty of vacation in the bank. Then I wouldn’t advise coming here. I was working for JPM for 12 years and had 6 weeks vacation and I gave it all up. I wasn’t happy.Now I have 3 weeks vacation. Almost 4 weeks next year. After being here for a while. Those of us who came from real working class jobs realize this is cake compared to what’s out there.

Hope this helps. Message me if you want to know more. I can give you more insight. 

Edited by drenyce311

Hello,

I have the S&D test in 5 weeks. I'm looking for various ways to help with studying while having a full-time job. I just recently gave up all electrical distractions besides the necessities. And I'm also curious about the background check, If you list exactly everything then they won't have to randomly call out whatever they've dug up.

1 hour ago, Rgrimes said:

Hello,

I have the S&D test in 5 weeks. I'm looking for various ways to help with studying while having a full-time job. I just recently gave up all electrical distractions besides the necessities. And I'm also curious about the background check, If you list exactly everything then they won't have to randomly call out whatever they've dug up.

The best and most proven way to study is with flash cards. Make a flash card for every single signal and every single definition. Most people found it easier to learn the signals first and then worry about the definitions after. In the beginning, it's normal to look at them and think "there's no way I'm ever going to learn all of this in time" but it can be done. Even with a full time job. I did my test in January, and I didn't take any time off of work to study. I found it best to do the signals first, try to have them down in a week or two. After that, I focused on learning 5 definitions a day. The first day I would memorize just 5 until I got them down. The second day, I would add another 5, and so on. Each day I would go through all my signal cards until I got them all right, then I would do the number of definitions I've learned this far. Once I got them, I would learn an additional 5, and then go through them again until I had them down. The next day, same process, add another 5 definitions until you reach the point where you know all 75. Once that glorious moment comes, you just do all signals and all definitions at least once a day at the very minimum.

As far as your question about the background check... I passed my Phase 1 Final Exam on March 4th. They're background checking me now, I haven't really heard anything so I don't have any insight on it. I had gotten one email from the background check company to provide proof of employment for 2 jobs I had in 2014, of which I responded to and provided proof right away. That was on Thursday. Haven't heard anything else since. At this point I'm assuming no news is good news until I have reason to believe otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Rgrimes said:

Hello,

I do them in groups. (All the colored lights kind of go together as do the position lights).  What was the date of your open house?

7 hours ago, Rgrimes said:

Hello,

I think the background agency is done by an outside source. Make sure you put the correct dates. Or close enough. They’ll contact the employer for verification. I suggest to get you IRS Transcript It shows the employer and years you worked there. The best way is to read write recite. No way around it. You want the job put in the time. Don’t worry about comprehending the information. Just memorize it even though you don’t know what it means yet. Some classes were 6 weeks to study. Some 8. When I did it. They were desperate for a class. They gave us 4 weeks to study. I took 2 weeks off from work to study all day everyday. I worked overnights so it was easier for me to study when I got home and no kids around. You gotta put yourself in that mindset. I was eating and breathing all this info constantly. Any chance I got I was studying something wether it was on my phone or at my desk on excel. I always advise anyone to start with the easy ones and keep adding to the list of what you know. 5 a day of each. I did exactly what @kev2112 did. 

Edited by drenyce311

11 hours ago, Rgrimes said:

Hello,

I simply wrote the definitions hundreds of times ran through dozens of notebooks, I'd spend hours writing everyday. Then once you actually learn then you can utilize the flash cards to test yourself or simply to have the words on hand in a more convenient way, take 5-8 cards with you to work, on the train, doctors office whatever, I'd take 4 cards to the gym on the stair master go over them over and over again. But writing them over and over again helps a lot when it comes to the test it's almost muscle memory, you'll know if there's a an extra "s" or parentheses, every little thing counts. Also don't think for ANY of the definitions oh yeah I'll just talk the L on this word it's too long. IT WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU !!!!! I skipped over Roadway Worker and another long Definition those were the first 2 on the test. Everything counts, really not trying to discourage anybody, but this is probably the easiest part of the process, it may seem like a lot but it is indeed the easiest part. While going through phase 1 I wish I could have just went back to studying signals and definitions. I'd give anything to study 10 definitions a day LOL. However like everyone else has said if you put in the work and put in those hours every day you will be more than fine. Good Luck! 

Hey everyone and congrats on the progress. I wanna know if I should have emailed HR back after my interview. I know I scored probably the highest on my S&D test back in January. Still haven't heard anything wondering if I should give them a call. I would have been done with Phase 1 by now.  Anyone go to interview after Jan 4 S&D test and not get called back