LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

On 2/14/2024 at 2:11 PM, 2ride said:

Yo… I’m gonna say it again. I know what’s going on in the railroad. You don’t need to help me decide what I should do for a living or career. Mind your own business and focus on yourself getting in instead. Let me pick a job I want, a choice that will make me happy. 

I don’t wanna operate a train. 

Dude why in the world are you so hostile, you have actual LIRR Engine service employees giving you great practical advice and wisdom, simply informing you of things. Learn how to take constructive criticism, and someone just correcting you so you don't make the same mistake again. That attitude's not going to get you far especially on the LIRR I'd be damned if you were ever my Brakeman dude.  

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LuckyStrikes said:

Hey guys, they seem to be moving pretty fast this time around. I went to the open house on 2/8 and I got an email today for an invite to the S&D overview 

If they have classes lined up, that’s when they’re fast. If they don’t, they take their time. It also depends how well you scored, if you just barely passed, you got slotted for maybe the class after or they send you an email or letter saying they’re going forward with other candidates. Chances are you did very well. Congrats! The harder parts are still ahead.

Edited by danielhg121

42 minutes ago, LuckyStrikes said:

Hey guys, they seem to be moving pretty fast this time around. I went to the open house on 2/8 and I got an email today for an invite to the S&D overview 

ooh awesome! congrats and good luck

On 2/16/2024 at 10:36 PM, danielhg121 said:

If they have classes lined up, that’s when they’re fast. If they don’t, they take their time. It also depends how well you scored, if you just barely passed, you got slotted for maybe the class after or they send you an email or letter saying they’re going forward with other candidates. Chances are you did very well. Congrats! The harder parts are still ahead.

Thanks!!! And yes I know I haven’t seen a thing yet according to others who have attended before me. But I’m up for the challenge you don’t get to many opportunities like this so I will take advantage of this

On 2/16/2024 at 8:20 PM, LinkyOG said:

Dude why in the world are you so hostile, you have actual LIRR Engine service employees giving you great practical advice and wisdom, simply informing you of things. Learn how to take constructive criticism, and someone just correcting you so you don't make the same mistake again. That attitude's not going to get you far especially on the LIRR I'd be damned if you were ever my Brakeman dude.  

You misunderstood the post. That was from last week, and second I wanted to go for conductor, not locomotive. I confused the difference between driving a train and operating a train and some guy corrected me on that. But he kept saying I should go for locomotive. My resume is filled with customer service, I don’t have any kinds of driving experience on me.

That wasn’t the point or the intended conversation. Prior to that, I was just saying the HR people in LIRR is pretty unprofessional because they’ve called me and said they were gonna send me a packet for conductor 2 weeks ago right away and nothing has happened since then. I’ve paid expenses to take Uber and the train together to multiple places within the MTA, and nobody could assist me in any way. They’ve been tossing me around here and there.

Edited by 2ride

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who went to the open house yesterday think we'll get called for next Saturday? Lady said she's recommending me to move on and with the time line it looks like quite the time crunch for an agency that usually moves at a snails pace... Looking forward to hearing others' experiences... Hopefully the call comes quickly. 

1 minute ago, dremoney9972 said:

Anyone who went to the open house yesterday think we'll get called for next Saturday? Lady said she's recommending me to move on and with the time line it looks like quite the time crunch for an agency that usually moves at a snails pace... Looking forward to hearing others' experiences... Hopefully the call comes quickly. 

I passed the cognitive, but I need to come in again for the math portion, and they told me to wait also for another email. I told them I wasn’t interested in the locomotive engineer position and preferred conductor. 

47 minutes ago, dremoney9972 said:

I know for a fact 80 people are supposed to be in the next SnD overview so perhaps, if not you're in line for the next one it's  slow and steady pace with the LIRR

29 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Word is there’s about 30-40 people waiting for a class. Not sure how true it is. 

Is this for phase one or phase two? I was invited to take the S&D test for March 30th and the instructor Lauren said she had a class opening up in April.

7 minutes ago, BDodgers said:

Is this for phase one or phase two? I was invited to take the S&D test for March 30th and the instructor Lauren said she had a class opening up in April.

Next class is qualifying now. Next class to qualify is June. 

40 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Next class is qualifying now. Next class to qualify is June. 

Thanks for answering Dre. I managed to read through the entirety of this multi-year thread over the past two weeks and your journey and comments have filled me with the confidence to go for this job. It's pretty cool to interact with you and to see Ur still around after all these years. 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:27 PM, dremoney9972 said:

I attended the 22nd and passed as well but didn’t hear anything yet.. keep posted if you are invited to the next S&D class. Best of luck

On 3/1/2024 at 2:27 PM, dremoney9972 said:

She said that she's recommending you to move on?  I was there on Thurs, and felt like I did really well on the test.  But nothing like that was said to me.  Is it possible to blow it in that interview?  Or maybe your interviewer was more open than mine.

1 hour ago, JPBCNY said:

She said that she's recommending you to move on?  I was there on Thurs, and felt like I did really well on the test.  But nothing like that was said to me.  Is it possible to blow it in that interview?  Or maybe your interviewer was more open than mine.

I don’t think too many people fail that interview. As long as you gave a response that wasn’t a straight no or you weren’t willing to learn, I think everyone passes it.

14 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I don’t think too many people fail that interview. As long as you gave a response that wasn’t a straight no or you weren’t willing to learn, I think everyone passes it.

You’d be surprised how many people never hear anything back from HR

6 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Oh boy, right after danielhg121 had me feeling good!  JK, I appreciate the insight from both of you on the process.  Both on my question and everything in the past.  Thanks from a fellow Rockaway guy.

23 hours ago, JPBCNY said:

Last couple of interview I had they said they were recommending me to move forward.  Yet I haven't heard anything past the initial invite to the open house.  So who knows.  Backlog, waiting list... Anyone's guess.  We'll see what happens. 

Posted (edited)

If you guys can post the next open house exam for engineers, I’d appreciate it. I have to do double the work just to check up in person when their next conductor open house is. I need to go back when they have it just to take the math portion now. 

Edited by 2ride

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 1:11 PM, drenyce311 said:

Yeah I try telling people that sometimes, but the only response I get is hate, criticism, or some type of negative reaction instead of people actually listening. Maybe they’ll listen to you more instead. I wasn’t wrong when I said the railroad HR people is messed up sometimes. 

Edited by 2ride

Who knows how they select people. I know a conductor who never applied to conductor. He applied for MTA Bus and they said he was a better fit for conductor because of customer service background. 

4 hours ago, 2ride said:

If you guys can post the next open house exam for engineers, I’d appreciate it. I have to do double the work just to check up in person when their next conductor open house is. I need to go back when they have it just to take the math portion now. 

HR doesn’t like when people keep calling to find out about thier scores or invitations. Just a heads up. But maybe being persistent will help your process. Idk