LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

45 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

How many people in phase 1? And did they say how many people will move on to phase 2? 

Yeah I know punctuality to important I know it might be overkill but I strive to be 45 mins early idk that's just me what's the worst that can happen you know. There's 31 people in our class he said that a class usually contains 16 people. Instructor said everyone can pass tbh but the ones that score higher will move onto the earliest phase 2 class. The ones that score lower will most likely be moved onto the next phase 2 class. He said it's biggest phase 1 class he's seen, they mixed people from two SnDs together.

I took my SnD two weeks ago but there were people in the phase one class that legit took the SnD last week Sunday the 15th. So they're moving people along pretty fast, my physical is scheduled for next week  5 hours before class but I haven't even scheduled my interview yet.It's hectic with working and life but still grateful and pushing forward!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Tbh most people won't make it through this I'm really anticipating the class to break to about half but you never know. 

Yea. That will happen. Let’s hope not. Those that will drop will think it’s not doable and have a hard time to catching up. But you never know. The company will be happy if half of you guys make it to end of phase 2. 

Edited by drenyce311

1 hour ago, Djf22 said:

Would questions about buzzer horn and lamp signals need to be answered verbatim? Does everything on the phase 1 test need to answered verbatim 

Yes. For the next 6 weeks and in phase 1 and 2. Everything needs to be answered in verbatim and you need to able to recite it verbatim. 

Edited by drenyce311

Shit is no joke, I'm working full time currently and realizing that it's really not feasible, I need to cut my work hours. Does anyone know if the quizzes we have in class make or break us getting into phase 2?? I know there's "Mandatory Quizzes" and I'm assuming those cut people from the class if we don't pass, but for the non mandatory quizzes is that for our own benefit to gauge where we're at?? Not much was really said about the quizzes, only the final. 

Edited by smitk

22 minutes ago, smitk said:

Shit is no joke, I'm working full time currently and realizing that it's really not feasible, I need to cut my work hours. Does anyone know if the quizzes we have in class make or break us getting into phase 2?? I know there's "Mandatory Quizzes" and I'm assuming those cut people from the class if we don't pass, but for the non mandatory quizzes is that for our own benefit to gauge where we're at?? Not much was really said about the quizzes, only the final. 

All the tests in Phase 1 is to gauge how far along you are studying. The final test is what counts. Not a cumulative score. That’s how it was back then. It could’ve changed. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED BECAUSE THE GUY/GAL NEXT TO YOU KNOWS IT MORE THAN YOU DO. study at your own pace and try to keep it up. I worked full time, wife and kids too. I had 6 weeks vacation at my previous job. I took my last 3 weeks off to study for Signals and Def. And 1 week I spilt into half days to go to class on Wednesday’s and I was off Saturday’s. So it worked out. There’s no way around it. YOU HAVE TO PUT IN THE TIME. the job is yours. It’s just a matter of how much you want it. 

33 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

All the tests in Phase 1 is to gauge how far along you are studying. The final test is what counts. Not a cumulative score. That’s how it was back then. It could’ve changed. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED BECAUSE THE GUY/GAL NEXT TO YOU KNOWS IT MORE THAN YOU DO. study at your own pace and try to keep it up. I worked full time, wife and kids too. I had 6 weeks vacation at my previous job. I took my last 3 weeks off to study for Signals and Def. And 1 week I spilt into half days to go to class on Wednesday’s and I was off Saturday’s. So it worked out. There’s no way around it. YOU HAVE TO PUT IN THE TIME. the job is yours. It’s just a matter of how much you want it. 

Thanks Dre, really needed to hear that. I already spoke with my boss & luckily she's pretty flexible with my work hours so I cut it down starting next week. I really want to feel confident in this material b/c I know this is a great opportunity that doesn't present itself often. Feeling like I don't know enough this early is admittedly discouraging, but just have to keep at it with the studying. I think the extra time will definitely help so I can really give this my all. 

Edited by smitk

1 hour ago, smitk said:

Thanks Dre, really needed to hear that. I already spoke with my boss & luckily she's pretty flexible with my work hours so I cut it down starting next week. I really want to feel confident in this material b/c I know this is a great opportunity that doesn't present itself often. Feeling like I don't know enough this early is admittedly discouraging, but just have to keep at it with the studying. I think the extra time will definitely help so I can really give this my all. 

Same man sometimes some encouraging words are what we all need. I'm working full time and doing this is insane.I just worked the overnight, slept 3 hrs went to do my physical in Mineola and now I'm sitting outside of Hillside in the car studying right now because it makes no sense to go home and come back out here. This is not for the weak it's only 2 classes in and I feel that I'm so behind, spent hours upon hours making index cards.

Seems like We all got our own sob story tho smh just got to keep pushing forward I guess. 

Def gotta tell the instructor slow down a bit found myself playing catch up at the last class. 

4 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Same man sometimes some encouraging words are what we all need. I'm working full time and doing this is insane.I just worked the overnight, slept 3 hrs went to do my physical in Mineola and now I'm sitting outside of Hillside in the car studying right now because it makes no sense to go home and come back out here. This is not for the weak it's only 2 classes in and I feel that I'm so behind, spent hours upon hours making index cards.

Seems like We all got our own sob story tho smh just got to keep pushing forward I guess. 

Def gotta tell the instructor slow down a bit found myself playing catch up at the last class. 

Literally same man, it also doesn't help that I tossed my index cards from the S&D test b/c I lowkey thought I failed that test and than was fast tracked to the class on Wednesday. So had to re-do those as well Saturday and Sunday. It's a lot, but we'll get through it! 

2 minutes ago, arcangeldaprince08 said:

What happens after you pass pre screening, I applied for the last exam and have heared nothing back from them yet. Does any one know ami supposed to call bsc?

What’s up. There is no exam.  Unless you already got invited for the open house and are talking about the cognitive exam. But if you just applied and it says pre screening. Just wait for an email or keep checking if the status changes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 2:54 PM, Jawzeyez said:

Not sure if anyone here can answer this but how important do date discrepancies affect employment at Metro north railroad. In regards to the background check, one of my past employments revealed a date discrepancy larger than three months. Will that knock me out as a candidate?

I would think they would call you to verify as well. I don’t think it would be problem especially if I haven’t been there in years. When I did my verification I got my IRS transcript to check dates. It’ll give you a rough estimate. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NYYankee said:

Any new locomotive engineer hires here? What's the process after the exam and how long does it take from the exam date to the first day of class? I just applied.

Hey. Read through the forum. This has been discussed several times.  But it takes a while and a series of exams before you even get called for phase 1 class. Just keep looking out for the email from BSC inviting to the open house. Good luck. 

Edited by drenyce311

12 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Hey. Read through the forum. This has been discussed several times.  But it takes a while and a series of exams before you even get called for phase 1 class. Just keep looking out for the email from BSC inviting to the open house. Good luck. 

Thanks

DDDRRREEEEEEE !!! Passed the Phase 1 final today man !!! Last 6 weeks were HELL LMAO literally nothing could have prepared me for that. Rules Instructor said it was the easiest test we're going to take for a while too. This is just a complete lifestyle change man I had to sacrifice so much to past and this is only the beginning !! I'm beyond excited, a lot of work man! Gotta take the 2nd part of my medical with drug tests and then background test and just wait to figure out if I'm in the class starting in April or the class starting in August !