Yard/Line Management

R179 8258

My question is how does each yard know how many train to put in Rush Hour Service only and how many trains do they take out for normal headway service ? Like for example the (A) runs 38 trains during rush hours so how many trains are ran during normal head ways ? Any ideas

My question is how does each yard know how many train to put in Rush Hour Service only and how many trains do they take out for normal headway service ? Like for example the (A) runs 38 trains during rush hours so how many trains are ran during normal head ways ? Any ideas

Simple. The (MTA) looks at how to improve service on the subway and adds service when it is needed. Weekdays, most lines have the same headways as rush hours.

B Train is correct, and by looking at several headway charts, the MTA runs more trains during the AM Rush than the PM Rush

B Train is correct, and by looking at several headway charts, the MTA runs more trains during the AM Rush than the PM Rush

Well, I've seen some buses that run like 12 minutes AM, 5 midday, and 5 evening. But for the subway, that would apply.

Well, I've seen some buses that run like 12 minutes AM, 5 midday, and 5 evening. But for the subway, that would apply.

That's because you could have a bus do one run only unlike the subway. A bus would leave a depot, go to point A, end at point B, then return to it's home depot. The subway has to do one full trip no matter the ridership in one direction.

It makes sense; everyone has to get to work at about the same time, but people can take their time leaving (some people leave work immediately, others work overtime or do other things in the city while they're at it, etc.)

Archived