Temporary/provisional position

bkdirect

How does this work with MTA jobs?

Heres my situation, last november i filled out an application for exam 5603 structure maintainers groub b (masons). Now unlike most civil service jobs this position didnt have a written test. Instead its a two part test, first you have to qualify for the education and experience test ( your work history in that specific field). If you pass that, then youre SUPPOSED to take a pratical test to be hired. There are a few titles in MTA where its this process as opposed to a written exam.

Last month ( April 2015) before even receiving a score for the education / experience part of the exam, i received a letter from MTA to come down to livingston st, to take a drug test because im being considered for a temporary / provisional structure maintainer. Long story short i was sworn in two weeks ago as a temporary structure maintainer.

Its the job i wanted and signed up for but not as a temp. So im wondering whats the odds of one day them just telling me they dont need my services anymore even before getting a chance to become permanent? Pardon the long post just wanted to explain as much as possible.

Any feedback on this topic will be appreciated Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Guess i will find out the week after next! Gave my current company my two weeks notice a week ago, its happening 6/18 and im ready for the new experience. I prey ( And i do believe) that i will get the chance to become permanent before any budget cuts, and they decide to cut the temp / provisional workers! Time will tell..

You have nothing to worry about. It's not like you didn't apply for the test yet accepted the provisional offer. They're not going to toss you out within a year, or two or three by being a provisional, especially in the skilled trades. They are hiring lots of skilled workers in various fields provisionally since it's much faster than waiting to hire through the civil service process. Lots of work to be done and going through the civil service process will not allow them to hire fast enough to keep up with the attrition. You're good to go...

Thanks for your info. Thats good to know and gives a little relief, since im leaving a pretty solid job. Also how does it work with probation? If youre on the jobe lets say 2yrs then become permanent, do you still have to do a year pobation?

Thanks for your info. Thats good to know and gives a little relief, since im leaving a pretty solid job. Also how does it work with probation? If youre on the jobe lets say 2yrs then become permanent, do you still have to do a year pobation?

You're on probation for whatever the probationary term is for your job title. So if it's 1 year, you're not a permanent employee until you successfully completed 1 year in title.

• 2 years later...
On 6/6/2015 at 2:49 PM, bkdirect said:

How did it work out?

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, I applied for exam 8606 transit electrical helper in OCT 2017 and received a letter today for the same thing, the application was based on experience and education where there was no exam giving, is this job safe to proceed ? its for a "provisional" position and I am currently working at in my job for over 10 years now so its hard to make the move for a "provisional" position

i've also applied for 8606 transit electrical helper back in october 2017, a letter came in inviting me to continue the process for a "provisional" transit electrical helper

here is the thing, i'm already employed as a "temporary" transit electrical helper from the previous exam 7609, it was also education and experience only. that earlier exam never used the word "provisional"

so even after asking around, i still have no clue as to the difference between "temporary" and "provisional"

ultimate goal is to become permanent

suppose i'll try asking a union rep and 180 livingston to clarify

does anyone else have any further info on this topic?

I applied for Transit Electrical Helper and was told to come in for a safety assessment . My question is : I applied for Power Cable Maintainer ( provisional as well ) and that pays more to start . If I accept the Electrical Helper position and then the Power Cable Maintainer comes up , can I leave the lesser paying job for the higher paying one ? Thanks 

• 5 months later...

Same boat,

Hello,

Last year I decided to apply for the exam 7603, Electronic Equipment Maintainer.

March 2017 I have been appointed to a multiple choice test that I passed.

August 2017 I took the practical exam. I am confident that I did well. When I left they told me the result would come between 9 to 12 months.

A year passed and I am still waiting for a list number.

Last month I received a thick letter from the MTA saying that I have to be at 180 Livingston Street office because I am considered for a Provisional position as Electronic Equipment maintainer. 

Because I really want to be working for the MTA and that this position is well paid I decided to show up.

Long story short, I passed the drug test and now I have been called to Livingston this Tuesday 09/04/18.

If I understand if everything goes well, they do my fingerprints check the 21 pages booklet then I will be sworn to the position.

The dilemma is that I just started a new job that I kind of like, I just completed my first week of training and already thinking of resigning.

I would definitely leave the job for the Electronic Equipment maintainer. The only down side is the Provisional status; they say there is a 1 year probation before becoming permanent.

is it safe to proceed?

What is the the # for HR?  Would they be able to tell you if you are on a waiting list to even start with?   We all know they have millions of people so I'm not even sure if that is possblie and really what are options are  but  I wanted to ask this anyway.

Thank you

Archived