Best Staten Island depot

astogezz

What "misinformation" have we given?  Castleton Depot for years had TERRIBLE management.  That has changed, but they weren't always as good.  For the record, I was a Staten Island resident for almost 10 years, and used the express buses for a good 7 years before getting the hell out of there and moving to Riverdale.

the question was about depots now, not years ago. 

Let's see:

Meredith, yes weekdays only just D4500s tho

Yukon: just the express prevosts are new

Castleton: alot of hand-me-downs

Charleston: newest one out there

also Castleton has the newest local buses - most new local buses in general. 

Just got a few prevos as well.

Charleston gets the local hand me downs from Yukon/Castle

the question was about depots now, not years ago. 

For your information, I'm still on Staten Island regularly, and while the fleet is newer, not much else has changed.  Most B/O's don't even want to go to Staten Island anyway since it's so far out. Maybe you think management is great because they are beyond relaxed when it comes to letting B/O's come whenever they want instead of following the schedule?  That sure hasn't changed, even with BusTime.

For your information, I'm still on Staten Island regularly, and while the fleet is newer, not much else has changed.  Most B/O's don't even want to go to Staten Island anyway since it's so far out. Maybe you think management is great because they are beyond relaxed when it comes to letting B/O's come whenever they want instead of following the schedule?  That sure hasn't changed, even with BusTime.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. 

Meredith, yes weekdays only, just D4500s tho    it's a express only depot

Yukon: just the express prevosts are new   Mainly local routes, +SelectBusService route is still a pay up front procedure, and Express is along Hylan Blvd

Castleton: alot of hand-me-downs   Mainly local routes, with 1 express route, 2 express routes are rush hour based. Majoirty of school trippers at this depot

Charleston: newest one out there, majoirty of express routes, only 2 full time local routes, 2 weekday routes

*My apologies about the irrelevant parts, just revised

I most certainly do know what I'm talking about.  Are you telling me buses don't run hot?

Buses running hot? I quite think the opposite is the case for the most, especially during the PM hours going to SI on weekdays and Saturdays. It's a hellhole just to get out from Midtown to Queens or NJ, staten island is even worse. I haven't observed many SI buses run hot either (I have seen bunching on weekends on the X1), but I don't usually hear about trips running hot. Maybe the early/late buses tend to do that, but not during daytime or evening hours.

Buses running hot? I quite think the opposite is the case for the most, especially during the PM hours going to SI on weekdays and Saturdays. It's a hellhole just to get out from Midtown to Queens or NJ, staten island is even worse. I haven't observed many SI buses run hot either (I have seen bunching on weekends on the X1), but I don't usually hear about trips running hot. Maybe the early/late buses tend to do that, but not during daytime or evening hours.

The X1 never had that problem. It was always buses out Castleton that ran hot.

The X1 never had that problem. It was always buses out Castleton that ran hot.

I've never seen the X7/X10/X12/X14 run early either. They either run late or on time, they don't really run hot. Even if they did, it wouldn't be by much, and there would be some traffic that would bring the bus back onto schedule.

I've never seen the X7/X10/X12/X14 run early either. They either run late or on time, they don't really run hot. Even if they did, it wouldn't be by much, and there would be some traffic that would bring the bus back onto schedule.

That's in Manhattan, not Staten Island.  X10's can and do run early and not "just by much" either.  Since BusTime came out they've been purposely having them leave late and they stay late the entire time, which is just as bad.  A bus running hot 20 minutes means you have to wait for the next one, and a bus running 20 minutes late means you arrive late just the same, so it's still much of the same BS as before.  Why they can't come on time is beyond me, but this is an issue particularly out of Castleton.  Haven't noticed this issue with the X1.  They come on time, and usually make it early in the city or Staten Island unless there is traffic.

That's in Manhattan, not Staten Island. X10's can and do run early and not "just by much" either. Since BusTime came out they've been purposely having them leave late and they stay late the entire time, which is just as bad. A bus running hot 20 minutes means you have to wait for the next one, and a bus running 20 minutes late means you arrive late just the same, so it's still much of the same BS as before. Why they can't come on time is beyond me, but this is an issue particularly out of Castleton. Haven't noticed this issue with the X1. They come on time, and usually make it early in the city or Staten Island unless there is traffic.

I've had numerous instances with both the x1 and x10 running extremely late including instances where I've had to wait 20+ minutes for a bus at the first stop in Staten Island. Hell, I've had an instance where I waited 45 minutes for an x1 from Eltingville to the point where he took Richmond Avenue to Victory Blvd to the Expressway, bypassing the route as a whole. I still prefer the x10 over the 1 because hylan can be a crawl sometimes. I haven't had any issues with the local service out on the island except a few slightly late buses, but nothing major. Local service seemed to be on-time or at the very least, 10 minutes late, at least from my experience.

I've also had x10s run early, but not that early. A few times I've had early x10s, we sat at Forest Avenue for like 3 minutes along with some other stops after its first short stint on the Expressway. And all the times I had early buses, I've heard BusTrek call the operator for his location and such and if he should sit at the stop or proceed. I've had more late 10s than early ones, so I'd have to disagree with the shtick with early 10s.

I've had numerous instances with both the x1 and x10 running extremely late including instances where I've had to wait 20+ minutes for a bus at the first stop in Staten Island. Hell, I've had an instance where I waited 45 minutes for an x1 from Eltingville to the point where he took Richmond Avenue to Victory Blvd to the Expressway, bypassing the route as a whole. I still prefer the x10 over the 1 because hylan can be a crawl sometimes. I haven't had any issues with the local service out on the island except a few slightly late buses, but nothing major. Local service seemed to be on-time or at the very least, 10 minutes late, at least from my experience.

I've also had x10s run early, but not that early. A few times I've had early x10s, we sat at Forest Avenue for like 3 minutes along with some other stops after its first short stint on the Expressway. And all the times I had early buses, I've heard BusTrek call the operator for his location and such and if he should sit at the stop or proceed. I've had more late 10s than early ones, so I'd have to disagree with the shtick with early 10s.

lol... Before BusTime, the X10 would run extremely hot, particularly the part from Richmond Avenue up to Slosson and Manor.  They had too much run time and thus would arrive early, especially on weekends.  With BusTrek, they're monitoring better than in the past and so that's why a lot of buses are late.  Often times when coming back from Staten Island and waiting for the X10, iit leaves the terminal late and stays late, and it's done purposely to avoid running hot.  For a while when BusTime first started they would do what you described, then they stopped and gave them some leeway.  Buses would be allowed to run a little hot since they weren't monitoring as closely.  From what you're stating, they've started checking again more closely.  What's troubling to me is that they can't just come on time.  Now they're excessively late.  

I most certainly do know what I'm talking about.  Are you telling me buses don't run hot?

They don't.

It is rare especially with BusTrek. 

Castleton was actually 2nd in the 5 boroughs for being on time, in a period from 1/15/15 to 5/15/15.

Too many dispatchers hiding out on the island watching to see if you run hot as well. They will write you up in a heart beat if you are over 1 minute early. 

You're going to have buses late, that's just how it is. You hit congestion, volume of people, wheelchairs. It is impossible to be on time all of the time unless you are an overnight run. 

x1 and x17 are the worst when it comes to being late , neither a Castleton bus. http://nypost.com/2015/04/24/mtas-express-buses-are-late-one-third-of-the-time/

They don't.

It is rare especially with BusTrek. 

Castleton was actually 2nd in the 5 boroughs for being on time, in a period from 1/15/15 to 5/15/15.

Too many dispatchers hiding out on the island watching to see if you run hot as well. They will write you up in a heart beat if you are over 1 minute early. 

You're going to have buses late, that's just how it is. You hit congestion, volume of people, wheelchairs. It is impossible to be on time all of the time unless you are an overnight run. 

x1 and x17 are the worst when it comes to being late , neither a Castleton bus. http://nypost.com/2015/04/24/mtas-express-buses-are-late-one-third-of-the-time/

This is new and definitely due to BusTrek.  It's about time Castleton got things under control and have guys watching.  

This is new and definitely due to BusTrek.  It's about time Castleton got things under control and have guys watching.  

Been like this for years now. All BusTrek did was eliminate dispatchers sitting at corners to a degree. So no it is not new. 

You said buses were running hot, there is no way for you to know this. You don't know that buses time table. I have people tell me all the time oh you're early - and I'm like actually no I'm 20 minutes late. 

Been like this for years now. All BusTrek did was eliminate dispatchers sitting at corners to a degree. So no it is not new. 

You said buses were running hot, there is no way for you to know this. You don't know that buses time table. I have people tell me all the time oh you're early - and I'm like actually no I'm 20 minutes late. 

It's not rocket science especially on weekends.  Buses are scheduled usually every 30 minutes most of the weekend which is when buses usually ran hot.  I left Staten Island in 2012 shortly after BusTime arrived on Staten Island, and it's improved but now buses are usually late now (excessively late too) which is equally annoying.  Seems like every X10 I get now when I make a trip to Staten Island and get the return trip on my way to Riverdale is a good 20 minutes late and stays late even those 21:00 buses back to Manhattan.  I've been riding the X10 going back to 2006, so I think by now I should know how the route runs overall.  I will say that it's improved in terms of buses showing up though.  I can remember times that we were basically stranded because there were no X10's on Saturday nights back to Staten Island.  Would be stuck with the X1 and getting car service from Hylan home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of bad information on this thread.

I'm out of Castleton. 

Start with Meredith, you will not see this place lol it was for guys with 15-20 years + on the job. The only outside chance you ever see this place is if you are on the extra list and they need help over there. Very Unlikely to happen. 

Castleton - best depot on the island. Management is cool unless you mess up,  Dispatchers are very cool, drivers are all very cool & helpful. Union people here are much more approachable and help you out.This is the best depot for probies without question. If you can pick Castleton for your 1st yr, do it. Large variety of routes - a lot of local and 3 express lines ( x10,x14,x21, scattered x12 come out of here, but senior guys do it ) They have more available off days for people to use then the other depots and are helpful when you might need to take off a day you are suppose to work and you make up for it working your regular day off. 

Yukon - all I ever heard about here was " Yukon Scum" from drivers to management. Last depot you want to go to as a probie or in general. Everyone is clickish and not accommodating.  Not a place you enjoy going too. 

Charleston - cool depot and the newest. Not much local work and they have the 74-78 lines which are very long. Drivers are always late to ferry leaving you no time to go to the bathroom or grab a coffee ( you can always take a personal but your only prolonging the inevitable lol) and they have a bunch of express. Management here is not as good as Castleton but not as bad as Yukon. 

any questions, just ask. 

tott HS might be the best compared to school trips out of I.S 61 on Castleton Avenue, kids opening the emergency windows while your driving, terrible savages they are. 

Unless you've worked at all depots I don't know how you could say Castleton is the "best depot on the island" lol.  You are going off what other people tell you.

Never had any issues with management or any dispatchers here, nor do I hear of any. Union guys are great, will get you the day off if you need it, and answer the phone at any hour of the night.

Me personally, I could never work at castleton just due to the fact of what neighborhoods most of the runs go through.  I honestly don't know how you guys drive some of those routes.

Yukon scum out. 

Unless you've worked at all depots I don't know how you could say Castleton is the "best depot on the island" lol.  You are going off what other people tell you.

Never had any issues with management or any dispatchers here, nor do I hear of any. Union guys are great, will get you the day off if you need it, and answer the phone at any hour of the night.

Me personally, I could never work at castleton just due to the fact of what neighborhoods most of the runs go through.  I honestly don't know how you guys drive some of those routes.

Yukon scum out. 

LMAO... Agreed... I've also heard of a few B/O's being beaten up back in the day along the local bus lines.  One guy refused to let some fare beaters on.  The next day they all paid, waited until the end of the line and then pummeled the guy for not letting them on previously. Smh.  Out and out savages.  You can just guess what demographic these wonderful individuals consisted of from the lovely Arlington/Mariners Harbor area (aka third world country)..  <_<

Archived