Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

7 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

If you can't make it, you have to resign. HOWEVER, (and do NOT quote me on this), they said if you do so, you can put your name back on the list and try again in the future if you got your flexibility up. 

There is the steps on the front left side and all those hand grabs. Basically if we can pull ourselves up on the three points of contact, it should be fine.

Happened to girl in my induction class back in 2019 she couldn't make it from the roadbed to the train, she had to be let go she came back and is out on her own as a conductor.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

If you can't make it, you have to resign. HOWEVER, (and do NOT quote me on this), they said if you do so, you can put your name back on the list and try again in the future if you got your flexibility up. 

There is the steps on the front left side and all those hand grabs. Basically if we can pull ourselves up on the three points of contact, it should be fine.

Then I hope im up to the task once I clear my medical hold, thanks for the response

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

Alright, im just curious, does you not being able to get up mean you wont be training any further?

If you cannot do it on a B division train, they will see if you can do it on one from the A division since they're smaller. If you can't do either, then you're let go.

_______
I am by no means anywhere muscular (womp womp) and I am able to climb up on the train. An induction classmate of mine is under 5 feet and she was able to do it. In the end, no harm lifting some weights in the meantime, but I wouldn't stress over it.

Union also mentioned yesterday if you can't make it up the first time to call them before your 2nd try so they can help. I'm pretty sure everyone in this class will make it, not many are division B anyway which apparently is slightly harder than A. 

18 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

Im 5'10 im just fairly overweight, something ive been trying to fix, Im working on flexibility atmand really hope I dont screw up the train climb

Height places a huge factor on the climb, being that you’re 5’10 you’ll be 100% fine with it. 

6 minutes ago, Bmwbuck said:

What’s goin on the day when they call you in for pre employment. Got called in for 6/10 and list number 61xx

They'll review your paperwork packet and do a drug test as well, and if you pass and they're up to your list number then you have between then and 90 days to be called for your medical appointment, if they dont call you for your medical appointment then you'll be called for pre employment again to do the paperwork and drug test all over again. My advice is to make copies of all you paperwork you're bringing in so that way if they call you again you can just copy what you wrote previously, unless something changed.

I went in  and finished the OPA assessment today, and wow lol that 2nd part threw me off. Now it’s all in Gods hand. How long does it take for a typical return in knowing if you passed of failed this OPA assessment? Asking for general knowledge thanks to everyone in this forum.

Going to tell you now… if you really want this gig, get a REALLY big backpack. One that the over the shoulder straps could be taken off of or covered over in some fashion (required for walking on the tracks). They recommend a brand called Kaka.

That bag will get very full, very fast with a LOT of heavy stuff. 

the training manual they gave out today is a good 2 inches thick. And this is the revised edit that takes the R32 and R42 out. 

and we’re still not fully equipped, as we get more stuff on Monday. 

17 hours ago, Canarsie88 said:

I went in  and finished the OPA assessment today, and wow lol that 2nd part threw me off. Now it’s all in Gods hand. How long does it take for a typical return in knowing if you passed of failed this OPA assessment? Asking for general knowledge thanks to everyone in this forum.

When did you take the OPA?

On 5/21/2022 at 2:04 PM, StephenE said:

Hi, my list number is 5879 and I went in for the OPA 02/15/22 does anyone know when I will get any updates on next steps? still haven’t received any results from OPA

hey I received my email for pre-employment for 6/9 and i took the OPA on 2/17 did you receive yours yet?

5 hours ago, Canarsie88 said:

What’s the estimated wait timetable of when you got your OPA results back?

They don’t really tell you how long it can take, I took my OPA 1/28, I was told I passed right then and there but I also received a letter in the mail letting me know I passed a few weeks later then i got called for pre employment 4/29 and I have been waiting since for the medical part, they did establish the 3-90 days it can take to get called for next process, if you do not in that time frame, then I would have to redo pre employment and drug test. My list number is 57xx. 

1 minute ago, Moe23 said:

They don’t really tell you how long it can take, I took my OPA 1/28, I was told I passed right then and there but I also received a letter in the mail letting me know I passed a few weeks later then i got called for pre employment 4/29 and I have been waiting since for the medical part, they did establish the 3-90 days it can take to get called for next process, if you do not in that time frame, then I would have to redo pre employment and drug test. My list number is 57xx. 

Ohh ok Damn I wasn’t told that I passed after that 2nd interview process. But I don’t think they told anyone that day if they had passed or failed come to think of it from the others that were there with me on the day we took the exam. I hope at least if one doesn’t pass they will still notify them.

2 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

Ohh ok Damn I wasn’t told that I passed after that 2nd interview process. But I don’t think they told anyone that day if they had passed or failed come to think of it from the others that were there with me on the day we took the exam. I hope at least if one doesn’t pass they will still notify them.

Did they hand you a paper packet to bring with you when you get called for pre employment?

They didn’t hand anyone anything that day. They just told us thank you. So it’s like idk but no one got a paper packet. Idk maybe they’re doing things differently idk I just would like to be informed if we passed so we don’t have to assume maybe we did or didn’t while waiting for this process to continue or be out of the loop on what’s going on.

7 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

They didn’t hand anyone anything that day. They just told us thank you. So it’s like idk but no one got a paper packet. Idk maybe they’re doing things differently idk I just would like to be informed if we passed so we don’t have to assume maybe we did or didn’t while waiting for this process to continue or be out of the loop on what’s going on.

They could be doing it different because the packet we got handed that day of OPA were the wrong packet since it wasn’t double sided,so we had to redo the packet when we went for pre employment, but I believe they should let you know, everything is just waiting game with them, give it a good month or two after OPA and if you haven’t received anything I would see if there is a way to contact them and ask them if you passed.

1 minute ago, Moe23 said:

They could be doing it different because the packet we got handed that day of OPA were the wrong packet since it wasn’t double sided,so we had to redo the packet when we went for pre employment, but I believe they should let you know, everything is just waiting game with them, give it a good month or two after OPA and if you haven’t received anything I would see if there is a way to contact them and ask them if you passed.

Oh ok definitely I know it’s going to take some time. I think I passed personally but that 2nd part was what kind of threw me off.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:38 PM, Chris8 said:

Well the day has finally come that I got sworn in, 6 years of waiting and it finally happened. Just to give you guys some insight if you do medical, arrive as early as you can. They go by a first come first serve basis so I was out by 12 since I was the first one. When you do medical you do a Hearing test, EKG, Urine test and vision test, after you do all this you see a Doctor who does a psychical and eventually clears you. Once you're cleared you're basically hired that same day! They went over some paperwork, swore me in, gave me some info on the next class, took my picture for my ID and fingerprints and that was it. 

Some other advice I would give is make sure all your paperwork is in order, cause they will give you a hard time. For the money order it has to be from the post office or they will not take it. Also be ready to be on a medical hold if you're obese and have a 17in+ measure around your neck. Usually this is a sign for sleep apnea and they will make you get a test before they clear you so book an appointment ASAP if this is you. The process took forever and I was lost for a while, so below I will give a timeline for anybody that is in the same boat on how hiring works:

Took Conductor test 6601 - 4/24/2016

List Number 49xx

Got an email for first Pre-employment- 11/24/21

Got a 2nd email for Pre-employment again - 4/7/2022 (It's very common to do 1-3 pre-employments)

Got an email for Medical - 5/6/2022 (Basically your hired if you're clear for medical)

Class started- 5/30/2022

I will keep you guys posted on how Conductor training goes down the line! (If anybody has advice on Conductor training please PM ME!!) 

I’m sorry I just wanted to ask how long did it take for you to get your 1st pre-employment after doing your OPA exam?