Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

10 hours ago, ronZO215 said:

Good shit! Congrats! list#34xx here and still waiting for them to email me once again for canvas letter since I wasn't able to clear med hold in time. Got my name restored back on 4/19. Wonder how much more waiting I must endure 😑. Hopefully will be in the next class🤞

You're going to have to wait for DCAS to send Transit another certification list. There's someone else who said he was reinstated on 4/20 and hasn't posted since so probably waiting too.

My brother, who's 39XX, recently just restored his name to the list due to a medical hold as well so you're definitely not alone.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Jericho said:

You're going to have to wait for DCAS to send Transit another certification list. There's someone else who said he was reinstated on 4/20 and hasn't posted since so probably waiting too.

My brother, who's 39XX, recently just restored his name to the list due to a medical hold as well so you're definitely not alone.

Might be me. Yeah I sent an email on May 2nd asking if there was a chance to get into the upcoming class. No response. So yeah, I'm just waiting for now.

Just now, Kamen Rider said:

Well... I just had to plunk down $70 because I found out in the rule book my eyeglasses are not up to snuff. I've been wearing transitions for YEARS and they don't allow them. 

$70 cost of entry to a decent pension program sounds reasonable to me

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well... I just had to plunk down $70 because I found out in the rule book my eyeglasses are not up to snuff. I've been wearing transitions for YEARS and they don't allow them. 

What page in the rule book?

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Hopefully you updated your prescription too.

You will be able to attain a free pair of prescription safety glasses by getting your doctor to fill out a form attain either from your schoolcar TSS, Material Control, or Stillwell Crew Reporting Center (CRC). You do not need to have the form filled out by GVS. You only have to go to their store if you want to try out the safety glasses.

1 hour ago, Purpose said:

@Jericho well no one said to bring anything specific this is why I’m asking. On the paper it said not to bring backpacks. So I wasn’t thinking I needed to bring anything crazy. 

I'm just bringing my Rules/Reg book and a pad to take notes. The paper doesn't say bring anything specific at all, just make sure you're in the right dress attire. 

1 hour ago, Purpose said:

@Jericho well no one said to bring anything specific this is why I’m asking. On the paper it said not to bring backpacks. So I wasn’t thinking I needed to bring anything crazy. 

Well if they gave you tools then everything that was supplied to you if it's your first day bring the rulebook cuz if they ask for it and it'd nothing there then it might be a problem. Throughout school you're required to have all your tools and books with you at all times, including ppe. 

15 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Well if they gave you tools then everything that was supplied to you if it's your first day bring the rulebook cuz if they ask for it and it'd nothing there then it might be a problem. Throughout school you're required to have all your tools and books with you at all times, including ppe. 

And even then, we are actually required to have our rulebook on hand after schoolcar. Just hope you don't run into the TSS's that actually ask for it though.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

And even then, we are actually required to have our rulebook on hand after schoolcar. Just hope you don't run into the TSS's that actually ask for it though.

Yeah forgot to add that also everything must be carried at all times, because if they check the dispatchers or tss and you don't have it you'll be in a pickle.

14 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well… day 1 wasn’t  as bad as I thought. Currently at the park working on one of those adult outdoor gym setups, making sure my upper body strength is up to par to help me climb into the train on Thursday. 

Which division you got Kamen? I should have asked for you today lol

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well… day 1 wasn’t  as bad as I thought. Currently at the park working on one of those adult outdoor gym setups, making sure my upper body strength is up to par to help me climb into the train on Thursday. 

Interesting to hear, I assume that isnt gonna be too tough to do?

17 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Working on your upper body? Is the training Rigorous? What did your first day look like? Walk us thru it, if you don’t mind. 

26 minutes ago, ReseeNu said:

Working on your upper body? Is the training Rigorous? What did your first day look like? Walk us thru it, if you don’t mind. 

Don't worry about it. As a conductor, you'll mainly have to climb on or off a train when you're in the yard. Most of your time will be in class or in the cab.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:56 PM, ReseeNu said:

On 5/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, Comrade96 said:

Interesting to hear, I assume that isnt gonna be too tough to do?

I spoke to a few folks today, they all said I should be fine (probably because I'm tall) It's just the end result of a few people who simply couldn't get up at all who had advanced too far into their training in the past that is occurs so early. 

The said they have a lot more issues these days with people being on the El roadbed and afraid of heights. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

I spoke to a few folks today, they all said I should be fine (probably because I'm tall) It's just the end result of a few people who simply couldn't get up at all who had advanced too far into their training in the past that is occurs so early. 

The said they have a lot more issues these days with people being on the El roadbed and afraid of heights. 

Forgot to mention post

If you can't make it, you have to resign. HOWEVER, (and do NOT quote me on this), they said if you do so, you can put your name back on the list and try again in the future if you got your flexibility up. 

There is the steps on the front left side and all those hand grabs. Basically if we can pull ourselves up on the three points of contact, it should be fine.