Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Very good to know! I got an email yesterday to come in for medical on 8/9, completed pre employment & drug test 8/1. The email also had a conditional offer letter that stated I am being considered for the class that starts 8/22. With such a quick turnaround I’m trying to get as much info as possible so I can make arrangements for my family etc. 

If holiday falls during the week we are in training, do we get that day off or no?

what else will happen when I got to medical on 8/9? Is there a formal interview? Should I dress up? 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Milano said:

Your uniforms are ordered day two... But plan on buying light blue button downs and navy blue WORK (Dickies, red kap, etc) pants to wear a few weeks until they arrive. Make sure they're loose enough to climb a train and they don't restrict your leg movements. Ladies should buy men's work pants for this reason. Also need the boots for the first class... If you don't get the MTA boots in time (you should)... Buy black steel toe or composite toe.. And return them when you get the MTA boots or keep for second pair. And always tuck in your shirt.  

Another note: if you guys need something, SAY SOMETHING. I know there was some moaning from people that maybe couldn't really afford to lay out money for boots. In my class I can think of a few people I barely know that would have paid for someone else until they had their first check. Don't freak out if you can't afford the shit, just ask. We're all in the system at this point and nobody wants to see anyone fail. The only competition here was the written test... We're not competing for anything any longer. Not until the promo exams come out, at least. 🤣

Very good to know! I got an email yesterday to come in for medical on 8/9, completed pre employment & drug test 8/1. The email also had a conditional offer letter that stated I am being considered for the class that starts 8/22. With such a quick turnaround I’m trying to get as much info as possible so I can make arrangements for my family etc. 

If holiday falls during the week we are in training, do we get that day off or no?

what else will happen when I got to medical on 8/9? Is there a formal interview? Should I dress up? 

2 hours ago, Diamond718 said:

Very good to know! I got an email yesterday to come in for medical on 8/9, completed pre employment & drug test 8/1. The email also had a conditional offer letter that stated I am being considered for the class that starts 8/22. With such a quick turnaround I’m trying to get as much info as possible so I can make arrangements for my family etc. 

what else will happen when I got to medical on 8/9? Is there a formal interview? Should I dress up? 

We're working labor Day, so don't count on holidays in training. But you will most likely get weekends. Plan on those being the last weekends you see for a while. 😱

Medical may take anywhere from 4 to 11 hours so eat well or bring non perishable snacks. Water is available free on the medical side of the room if you didn't notice the dispenser yet. 189 schermerhorn is a great garage. 18 dollars all day if you arrive before 830. 

You should dress business casual as the letter should state. This means a step down from a suit. I wore a neat polo tucked in with slacks and black boots - dress shoes are not comfortable for me multiple hours on end.

They'll have you do an EKG, hearing evaluation (it's not a test, but they  check your starting point so they can test in future to make sure the subway isn't destroying your ears), they'll do vitals and check vision. They'll check urine for proteins and diabetes.

The doctor will review everything and give you a pink or white slip. If you're pink you're on medical hold and go home with instructions or forms to get filled out.

If you get white, you'll go to the other side of the room and hand in all your pre-employment paperwork if you haven't done so yet. This is the high school diploma,etc etc and that 42 page packet of job history and all that stuff.

They'll give you a ticket and tell you to do some things over and give you more paperwork to sign and fill out.

Then finally you'll meet a interviewer who will check the paperwork and swear you in. You'll pick LIRR or MNRR for your pass. They'll tell you it's only for commutes. The union will tell you to use it everyday anytime. 🤷‍♂️

Once that's done you'll take your picture for your MetroCard/ ID and wait an unreasonable amount of time to get fingerprinted and hand in your money order. Then you go home.

DON'T FORGET THE MONEY ORDER - DO IT TODAY IF YOU CAN. 

Make sure they give you the blue rule book after you swear in!! Some people in my class didn't get one and had to go through a process to get it.

If you request dual employment - they'll tell you no chance in hell it'll be approved. If you're getting paid by anyone else and it's tied to your social, plan on stopping that.

If you have any issues call or email Olha. She is very helpful. 

Edited by Milano

Very good to know! I got an email yesterday to come in for medical on 8/9, completed pre employment & drug test 8/1. The email also had a conditional offer letter that stated I am being considered for the class that starts 8/22. With such a quick turnaround I’m trying to get as much info as possible so I can make arrangements for my family etc. 

what else will happen when I got to medical on 8/9? Is there a formal interview? Should I dress up? 

Depends on the class, but if you work on a holiday you should get an additional 8 straight hours. 

I didn’t  dress up the last time, because it was sweltering outside, but I was dressed with a collared shirt and looked presentable for business. 

On the day you go back, expect to pee in a cup again, hearing test, vision, Q&A with the doctor and bring a money order from the post office for the amount they need. 

As far as further scheduling they’ll tell you when and where to be. You’ll eventually get a schedule in school car, but I think it’s still card subject to change. 

Honestly you’ve done the hard part already (meaning filling out 90 million pieces of paper). As long as you don’t have any medical conditions which can put you on medical hold you’ll be good. 

Also - you're terminated on your 3rd lateness. So.... If you're ever going to drive to this class - get your car checked or buy tires or do whatever you've been putting off with it. They do not give a damn if you got a flat or needed a tow truck or any of that. "Why" you're late means nothing. You're still late and that's very bad in transit. They will tell you this 6 million times. Never ever be late. And always be a half hour early, at least. Most folks will be 60-90 minutes early. Be that person.

Edited by Milano

If you get on here’s a Great life hack - Bring a pen. Always bring a pen. Always carry a pen. Always have a pen close by. 

Also if you have a smartwatch get a dumb one for work. You won’t have access to your cell phone when on the job and actually working. On breaks outside of the public eye you can use your phone, but that’s ONLY a few times per day.  For some Insee it’s fought getting used to. 

Get a Duffel bag and ALWAYS bring your blue book.

Oh and the white book they’ll give you allegedly costs $600, so don’t lose it. 

What is your list number if you don’t mind me asking?

41 minutes ago, Milano said:

Also - you're terminated on your 3rd lateness. So.... If you're ever going to drive to this class - get your car checked or buy tires or do whatever you've been putting off with it. They do not give a damn if you got a flat or needed a tow truck or any of that. "Why" you're late means nothing. You're still late and that's very bad in transit. They will tell you this 6 million times. Never ever be late. And always be a half hour early, at least. Most folks will be 60-90 minutes early. Be that person.

How is parking in the area around school car? Specifically the 3-11 shift. 

38 minutes ago, BigMike85 said:

If you get on here’s a Great life hack - Bring a pen. Always bring a pen. Always carry a pen. Always have a pen close by. 

Also if you have a smartwatch get a dumb one for work. You won’t have access to your cell phone when on the job and actually working. On breaks outside of the public eye you can use your phone, but that’s ONLY a few times per day.  For some Insee it’s fought getting used to. 

Get a Duffel bag and ALWAYS bring your blue book.

Oh and the white book they’ll give you allegedly costs $600, so don’t lose it. 

Great tips! Thank you.