Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2022 at 5:48 AM, Diamond718 said:

Very good to know! I got an email yesterday to come in for medical on 8/9, completed pre employment & drug test 8/1. The email also had a conditional offer letter that stated I am being considered for the class that starts 8/22. With such a quick turnaround I’m trying to get as much info as possible so I can make arrangements for my family etc. 

If holiday falls during the week we are in training, do we get that day off or no?

what else will happen when I got to medical on 8/9? Is there a formal interview? Should I dress up? 

Hi Diamond How long ago did you take your OPA ??

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

Alright, I finally got home, and im proud to announce that I cleared my hurdles and am part of the 9/12 class, its been a long road....

God bless man ! Congrats, also we're you able to network maybe did you hear anyone else's list# there just trying to see around what number is called for medical 

3 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

God bless man ! Congrats, also we're you able to network maybe did you hear anyone else's list# there just trying to see around what number is called for medical 

werent that many conductors today to be honest, mostly bus operators and other jobs, and a lot of randoms for current employees., There may have been like 1 or 2 other conductors but I didnt get to speak much with any

6 hours ago, Blu24 said:

I really had forgot about this exam but they text me to come in for an OPA in a few weeks. What should I expect? If I do pass the OPA how soon can I expect a call back? 

Someone above just said they were sworn in with a 46XX list number. But chances are, if you're just now being called for the OPA, you have a long while to go.

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Someone above just said they were sworn in with a 46XX list number. But chances are, if you're just now being called for the OPA, you have a long while to go.

I had to clear a medical hold so dont take my number as what theyre calling right now. IIRC theyre calling in the late 6000s early 7000s

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

Yeah I would guess they're around 5000-5200 hiring range. 

9 minutes ago, islandboy said:

I have been picked to start training for conductor on the 12th. Does anyone know how long training last and what's done during training. Is it hard to pass?

Depends on which division you’re in. If you’re in B division (maybe 2 months) I understand that it’s longer than A division training. 

As far as if School Car is easy to pass?  Treat it like school. Index cards, study, notebooks, post it’ notes or whatever it takes for you to retain information. You have quizzes every week a midterm, two hands on practicals and a final  

Index cards are good, because you’ll have a lot of waiting around when you actually get on the train, because only one person can go at a time depending on what you’re doing and if you only have one train.  Make it a habit to read the book and become familiar with your job and what they want you to do and be prepared to walk your tail off. 

A tip, you don’t have the job, because they can take it from you at anytime, because you’re on probation. Leave the drama alone and get your job. The concept of opening and closing train doors isn’t difficult, but everything else surrounded where you can get jammed up and get fired is the difficult part. Just pay attention to what they tell you. 

You’ve got this. When they break your class up into a smaller class. Bond with them. Don’t be a loner, because you’re all in it together for the next 10 to 25  plus years depending on when you retire. 

Good Luck

21 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

you and me both, I start the 12th as well

Don't be anxious. Do what your instructors tell you and study hard. Even if it seems absurd, do it the way they want it done and live with the fact this is how it needs to be. If you struggle with being one of these people like myself who's always looking for a better way to perform their duties, you're going to bump heads often. Just take it how it is and you do you when the probation is over.