Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Hello all,

I need a bit of help. 
I got selected for the 8/22 starting class But I need to defer due to a funeral trip out of the country 8/24-8/29

olha is not budging on telling me when the next class after will be..

should I accept the offer then let them know I will need 4 days to make up?

does anyone have an idea of when they will be recalling if you defer once? 

anyone have advice? Please help me out. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Vasqash said:

Hello all,

I need a bit of help. 
I got selected for the 8/22 starting class But I need to defer due to a funeral trip out of the country 8/24-8/29

olha is not budging on telling me when the next class after will be..

should I accept the offer then let them know I will need 4 days to make up?

does anyone have an idea of when they will be recalling if you defer once? 

anyone have advice? Please help me out. 

Definitely want to apologize for your lost, I know it's tough. This is a tough situation cause this opportunity is hard to get and god knows when you'll be able to come back if you defer. If I were you accept the offer and be subject to what school car tells you to do. Best case is they give you the time you need and you'll just need to make up the 5 days you missed in the back half of training. Just be ready to submit any proof of the funeral, death, etc. 

Hello, does anyone know what safety glasses must be gotten if you wear glasses in order to not be put on medical hold.. want to be prepared lol! 

I know it's some type of osha safety right ? And a letter from the doctor?

Also heard it thru a lil birdie..they are up to the 6500#s in calling in for drug test etc

3 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

Hello, does anyone know what safety glasses must be gotten if you wear glasses in order to not be put on medical hold.. want to be prepared lol! 

Also heard it thru a lil birdie..they are up to the 6500#s in calling in for drug test etc

As long as you can see with your current pair of glasses, you'll be fine in medical.

During school car you'll be given safety glasses that fit over your prescription.

You'll be given a prescription safety glasses form that your optometrist can fill out with a prescription not more than a year old. If you don't know the size of the glasses you wear, you can visit the locations on the form to try them out.

37 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

6500? That's really good, praying they get up to me 🙏🙏

On 8/17/2022 at 10:41 PM, Mohamed said:

What's the overtime rate for conductor 

Overtime is time and a half and depends on years of service. Here is the regular rates.

Entrance $24.32
2nd year $26.06
3rd year $27.79
4th year $29.53
5th year $31.27
6th year $34.74

You also asked about a cleaner position being offered to some on this exam. Yes, that does happen. I talk with a cleaner who took the cleaner offer. According to him his number was very high. So it's possible that cleaner gets offered to those with conductor list numbers that are unlikely to be reached. 

Edited by Camean

13 hours ago, Camean said:

Overtime is time and a half and depends on years of service. Here is the regular rates.

Entrance $24.32
2nd year $26.06
3rd year $27.79
4th year $29.53
5th year $31.27
6th year $34.74

You also asked about a cleaner position being offered to some on this exam. Yes, that does happen. I talk with a cleaner who took the cleaner offer. According to him his number was very high. So it's possible that cleaner gets offered to those with conductor list numbers that are unlikely to be reached. 

Thank you for the information, much appreciated 

What’s up ladies and gents, does anyone have a suggestion on what I may need to bring for Day 2 which is being at the TWU union hall. Should I have backpack and notebook and what else?  

also if I don’t have boots yet can I wear black sneakers or should I just wear different black boots I have that are TImbs.

Thank You

4 minutes ago, Moe23 said:

What’s up ladies and gents, does anyone have a suggestion on what I may need to bring for Day 2 which is being at the TWU union hall. Should I have backpack and notebook and what else?  

also if I don’t have boots yet can I wear black sneakers or should I just wear different black boots I have that are TImbs.

Thank You

You mean, "hello everyone"..  we're not allowed to say ladies and gentlemen in transit, so practice that 🙏

Anyway.. the union meeting is relaxed. Still, try to look like a conductor. Wear the light blue shirt with the Navy pants (dickes, red kap, etc) and some kind of black boots. Doesn't really matter what boots because you're not going to be walking on tracks... That said, day three you should definitely have some sort of  boot meeting transit specs and on day 4 you'll probably be climbing trains so you'll need them for sure by then - yes, even if you need to buy your own. I know somewhere they mentioned khaki slacks... Don't ever wear khaki slacks.

Bring a backpack and a black pen. You going to get a bunch of documents that you're going to need to put somewhere.

51 minutes ago, Milano said:

You mean, "hello everyone"..  we're not allowed to say ladies and gentlemen in transit, so practice that 🙏

Anyway.. the union meeting is relaxed. Still, try to look like a conductor. Wear the light blue shirt with the Navy pants (dickes, red kap, etc) and some kind of black boots. Doesn't really matter what boots because you're not going to be walking on tracks... That said, day three you should definitely have some sort of  boot meeting transit specs and on day 4 you'll probably be climbing trains so you'll need them for sure by then - yes, even if you need to buy your own. I know somewhere they mentioned khaki slacks... Don't ever wear khaki slacks.

Bring a backpack and a black pen. You going to get a bunch of documents that you're going to need to put somewhere.

Really I didn’t know that.  Thanks for the advice.  ( not to say ladies and gents ). 

Thank you for the breakdown for the first week basically, my boots are ordered just not sure if I’ll have them in time I ordered the wolverine Bonaventure I be alive they are called. As far as pants I picked up some dickies and I have light blue button down shirt, it’s dressy material but it will do for know. Best of luck to “everyone” else starting tomorrow I will see you then. 

1 minute ago, Moe23 said:

Really I didn’t know that.  Thanks for the advice.  ( not to say ladies and gents ). 

Thank you for the breakdown for the first week basically, my boots are ordered just not sure if I’ll have them in time I ordered the wolverine Bonaventure I be alive they are called. As far as pants I picked up some dickies and I have light blue button down shirt, it’s dressy material but it will do for know. Best of luck to “everyone” else starting tomorrow I will see you then. 

It's not a big deal if the boots don't arrive in time just make sure to have the receipt and/or documents showing proof that you've ordered them and are waiting for them. Usually the boots come very fast via UPS; speaking of uniforms make sure to wear the proper uniform or clothes while you're waiting for you uniform. Example let's say your pants come but you're still waiting on the navy blue shirts, then you'll have to wear the mta pants with your own navy blue shirt. Each time a piece of your uniform comes in start wearing them. If the shirts come before the pants then wear the shirt with your own dark navy blue pants until the pants come. Also make sure when you get your boots that they're worn at all times when on duty, especially being on probation you don't wanna mess around. With that being said conductor school car is as easy as you make it study and you'll be golden. And always make sure to ask your TSS any questions that you have until you understand it yourself.

17 minutes ago, Schecter said:

It's not a big deal if the boots don't arrive in time just make sure to have the receipt and/or documents showing proof that you've ordered them and are waiting for them. Usually the boots come very fast via UPS; speaking of uniforms make sure to wear the proper uniform or clothes while you're waiting for you uniform. Example let's say your pants come but you're still waiting on the navy blue shirts, then you'll have to wear the mta pants with your own navy blue shirt. Each time a piece of your uniform comes in start wearing them. If the shirts come before the pants then wear the shirt with your own dark navy blue pants until the pants come. Also make sure when you get your boots that they're worn at all times when on duty, especially being on probation you don't wanna mess around. With that being said conductor school car is as easy as you make it study and you'll be golden. And always make sure to ask your TSS any questions that you have until you understand it yourself.

I'm not even thinking about MTA uniforms. We're going on week 4 and we have nothing but boots and PPE. Not sure how fast you got some clothes, but it seems to be a while right now.  I think only one person in my group got clothes right now - and he got them this past Friday.

Edited by Milano

3 hours ago, Schecter said:

Ok I’ll stay on top of the dress code i know that super important. I also didn’t receive the blue book I saw someone talking about in this forum awhile back. Instead they sent everything through email. PDF so im assuming im suppose to print all this out to carry with me at all times since it’s the rules and regulation book.

2 minutes ago, Moe23 said:

Ok I’ll stay on top of the dress code i know that super important. I also didn’t receive the blue book I saw someone talking about in this forum awhile back. Instead they sent everything through email. PDF so im assuming im suppose to print all this out to carry with me at all times since it’s the rules and regulation book.

You should call Olha/Employment and find out about this. As far as I'm aware, everyone needs to have the rule book with them at all times and I'm not certain they'll be okay with a printed PDF. When you were sworn in you should have got the book. Some of my classmates didn't get it and they had to go though a process and fill out a G2 for obtaining one. If you can't get through, be sure to mention it in your Zoom meeting on day 1. You'll probably meet a TSS on day 2. Tell them too.  (TSS's came to the union hall to distribute our passes that day, they wear black pants with grey shirts)

45 minutes ago, Moe23 said:

Yeah the PDF version doesn't count, especially when you're out on the road they want you to carry the actual book with you at all times, and they are going to refer to the book at times during school car. Call 180 Livingston Street telling them you never got an actual book, don't waste your home ink when you can get an actual book instead. That blue book aka the rules and regulation book is part of your PPE that you must have during school car and after school car also.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:25 PM, exj16 said:

I just finished posting (which was fun) and passed my finals and while at  PS 248 this week, our instructor who’s an assistant to the superintendent informed us about the situation/shortage of conductors and the huge class for October. Try to get it done ASAP. The quicker you get it resolved, the sooner you get sworn in. I was in a similar situation where they placed me on hold because of my EKG. I got it resolved within 2 days and sworn in instantly. I’m telling you, They’re in dire need of conductors.  Plus you coming in will help me in terms of seniority since I’m going to be out on my own now LOL jk good luck!

How u got it resolve so fast I’m in the same position I went n got a stress test and echo waiting for the results b

10 hours ago, Moe23 said:

Lol it's definitely in regards to making announcements when on the train, need to be careful what you say. 

On 8/12/2022 at 4:35 PM, Cashdiior34 said:

Came in today for medical , but was sent back cus my I got 2nd vaccine Aug 3th and gotta wait to the 17th to be fully vax to make 2 weeks , I had everything else all my documents  , any advice or knowledge on moving forward so I can know by the 17th if I go take my medical again … she just told me to wait for a email or phone call but I left the building 630am in the morning unsure that my position could be possibly not still be there … 

Hey what is your list # just trying to see where they are around for calling in for medical

Good morning,

I was called for the final phase of my process for conductor. When I got there for them to process my paperwork, they told me they couldn’t do it because 14 days hasn’t elapsed since I got vaccinated. I was suppose to start the training today 8/22/22.  I was told to contact them when I was fully vaccinated and 14 days elapsed. I’ve sent three emails and received no response. Does this mean I have been disqualified? Or will I be considered for the next class. I would hate to think I waited years to be called, have gone through a 7month process just be denied at this point. Can someone give me some kind of hope.