Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, subwaysurfer said:

Was just told that April 2 will be the last conductor class of 50 students for 6601. So if you don't get called for that class, start prepping to take the next exam coming out in june

Highly unlikely. It takes well over a year to establish a new list. There will many more classes from 6601. 

1 hour ago, Harlem said:

Highly unlikely. It takes well over a year to establish a new list. There will many more classes from 6601. 

They have one promotional about to start and another promotional to conductor filing soon, Id believe it, + all the people that got their name reinstated

I would think they would have a better idea and be more organized to not call in hundreds of people in for OPA/Pre-Employment constantly if they are near finish with filling the classes they have.. Still a good half+ year before the list expires, is it really necessary to waste the time/cost/effort for setting up OPA's/Pre-Employments if they are pretty set on hiring? 

There's still hundreds of people in line from December and before waiting, a class fills about 50 people(?), even with another 2-4 classes opening anticipated, there is no logical reason to do another 1-2 opa's and pre employment sessions, right? You can't possible need mid-high 100's of candidates on standby just in case?? 

Edited by alexx

11 minutes ago, alexx said:

I would think they would have a better idea and be more organized to not call in hundreds of people in for OPA/Pre-Employment constantly if they are near finish with filling the classes they have.. Still a good half+ year before the list expires, is it really necessary to waste the time/cost/effort for setting up OPA's/Pre-Employments if they are pretty set on hiring? 

There's still hundreds of people in line from December and before waiting, a class fills about 50 people(?), even with another 2-4 classes opening anticipated, there is no logical reason to do another 1-2 opa's and pre employment sessions, right? You can't possible need mid-high 100's of candidates on standby just in case?? 

You can never account for potential people retiring/getting fired, or any other reason, so yes they keep people on standby

A class usually isnt 50 people its around 30-40 based off my experience 

3 hours ago, alexx said:

You speak as if the HR department actually cares. They're given a budget to spend on, they'll use it.

17 hours ago, Harlem said:

Also, the list may not be out yet, but people can be hired/promoted provisionally until it is actually released.

Good Morning Community 😁

I’m looking for some feedback, all is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

I’m in a situation where I got called both for TA Bus Operator and Conductor. Living in Staten Island TA Bus Operator would land me home where conductor would run me to boroughs but not a big deal, wake up early, use your free pass and get to work.

With that, anybody in here have any feedback on both jobs? Pros/Cons maybe?

14 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

Good Morning Community 😁

I’m in a situation where I got called both for TA Bus Operator and Conductor. Living in Staten Island TA Bus Operator would land me home where conductor would run me to boroughs but not a big deal, wake up early, use your free pass and get to work.

did you get called for pre employment?

19 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

Good Morning Community 😁

How do you know you'll always have a bus in Staten island?

29 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

did you get called for pre employment?

Yes. Initially I was hired last year as a Conductor, however, due to a family members health issue I had to skip the class. So it’s been a long year of waiting for me after getting added back to the list.

27 minutes ago, Milano said:

How do you know you'll always have a bus in Staten island?

I have a friend that was hired off of the list last year. I believe NYCT (TA) buses are Staten Island where other boroughs are connected to MTA Bus Company or MTA BSTOA which all have different tests. I can also be blowing water with this info but that’s to the best of my knowledge.

4 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

I have a friend that was hired off of the list last year. I believe NYCT (TA) buses are Staten Island where other boroughs are connected to MTA Bus Company or MTA BSTOA which all have different tests. I can also be blowing water with this info but that’s to the best of my knowledge.

Nah man NYCT buses have routes in all boroughs so no you wont be limited to staten island.

It all depends on if youd rather just deal with passengers as a conductor or passengers AND other idiot drivers as a bus operator, plus a CDL license

Just got called in and texted about going in again for pre employment.. Said I should be getting an email for further instructions on what to bring and  such.. This time is a very very very early time (6:30AM)  compared to December's 10AM.. Is this anything different or are they just recertifying list and really making everyone go in for pre employment again? 

Edited by alexx

20 minutes ago, alexx said:

Just got called in and texted about going in again for pre employment.. Said I should be getting an email for further instructions on what to bring and  such.. This time is a very very very early time (6:30AM)  compared to December's 10AM.. Is this anything different or are they just recertifying list and really making everyone go in for pre employment again? 

nothing is different everything you brought last time bring again, a new pre employment packet, your documents, etc

1 hour ago, alexx said:

Hey Everyone, 

Just a quick update. I just got called for pre employment , waiting for the email with further instructions. Any suggestions on what to expect ? Thank you .

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

Nah man NYCT buses have routes in all boroughs so no you wont be limited to staten island.

It all depends on if youd rather just deal with passengers as a conductor or passengers AND other idiot drivers as a bus operator, plus a CDL license

It's also possibly a consideration of work upgrade paths. If you've got an inkling of mechanical experience and want to be a bus maintainer one day, starting as a bus operator might be useful to already be in the bus department. Other than that, I would much rather be a conductor. Nice to have a partner on the train especially these days. Being alone as a bus driver would freak me out. 

2 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

What the likelihood of getting hired right after you've done your second pre employment? I'ma kinda getting anxious 

same chance as the first one, I went through 3 of them before getting hired, tho I had a medical hold so theres that

6 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Hey Everyone, 

Just a quick update. I just got called for pre employment , waiting for the email with further instructions. Any suggestions on what to expect ? Thank you .

Expect to be there the whole day, make sure you have all of your documents 

6 minutes ago, Milano said:

It's also possibly a consideration of work upgrade paths. If you've got an inkling of mechanical experience and want to be a bus maintainer one day, starting as a bus operator might be useful to already be in the bus department. Other than that, I would much rather be a conductor. Nice to have a partner on the train especially these days. Being alone as a bus driver would freak me out. 

True that man, true that. Fair points about promotion paths

Having a partner on the road is indeed great