Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

43 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

starting is 24.32 an hour

Yes you will.be thrown around all of nyc until you can pick a job 

overtime is not mandatory but some jobs are naturally longer than 8 hours

40 a week guaranteed hours but there will be times you average more than that

Can you give me a few examples of where new hires get toss around? Is there employee parking?  If it’s street parking do you put the vest in the dash and just leave it in the streets? What’s the avg time before new hires can pick their work locations? Are there breaks in between the jobs to use the restroom? Thank you I appreciate it.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Pkk said:

What’s the starting pay for conductor? Do the new hires get thrown around all of nyc for the first few years? Work night and weekends? Is overtime mandatory? What’s the typical amount of hours a new hire conductor? Thank you

Some of these been answered... But I wanted to point out...

As far as the schedule is concerned, overtime isn't more than an extra hour usually  The nature of working on a 100 year old system with 2000 members of the public in tow - that's what brings overtime.  Things go wrong; equipment breaks and people get sick or stupid. That's the majority of overtime. MTA will do their best to keep you at 40 hours but nobody can escape getting stuck behind a broken rail for 45 minutes and then hitting traffic the rest of the route.

In the beginning there's a lot of board time. This means because they have to schedule you 40 hours, you're coming in whether or not they have work for you. You might sit 3 hours until they assign you a job.. so you'll have 11 hours right there, minimum.

Overtime comes after 8 hours in a single day, not necessarily after 40 in the week, so even if you have 11 hours Monday and book off sick the rest of the week, you'll still have that time and a half.

Every six months comes the bids and picks. I came out in Sept and won a bid in January. I had a steady schedule that whole month. I lost mine because the person came back, but I have classmates still on their bid. A bid is where you get to pick an open job where someone's out for an extended period - usually due to assault, 12-9 (someone hit by a train) or an illness - or they bid on something else after the pick). 

They won't jerk you around too much on your regular days off.. meaning if they gave you Monday Tuesday you're going to stay on Monday Tuesday until they have a good reason to change it. They usually won't change your tour of duty, am pm or midnight either. It happens but I would say it's somewhat rare. Another thing that's nice here, they have to give you two consecutive days. They can't give you say, Sunday Thursday off.

Just now, Pkk said:

Can you give me a few examples of where new hires get toss around? Is there employee parking?  If it’s street parking do you put the vest in the dash and just leave it in the streets? What’s the avg time before new hires can pick their work locations? Are there breaks in between the jobs to use the restroom? Thank you I appreciate it.

Literally anywhere from Far Rock to Bedford Park to 179 to 207, nothing is off limits 

Some places have employee parking but you need a permit for that, and I dont recommend driving to work your first few years

Do not leave your vest on the dash theyve been cracking down on that.

I dont know the average time before you can pick

Yes you are always entitled to.a bathroom break

Just now, Pkk said:

You get tossed around as being extra extra throughout the division you're in, there's employee parking at yards most you'll need a permit and some you need a sticker like at 207th street yard due to construction of a new tower at this time. I wouldn't advise on putting your vest in the window the MTA has released a notice stating not to do so that you'll still liable to pay meters and etc, and they have people taking pictures of license plates and MTA workers with their vest on the dashboard and then the MTA will take action, what action I don't know because I always pay the meter. The avg time can be 1 to 4 years depending on how many people retire or get promoted I got to pick within a year and some change as a t/o but never got to pick as a c/r and i was there for around the same amount of time. You can also bid on jobs 2 bids come out per pick and you might get to get a job if you didn't pick or don't like your pick. And yes there's breaks between trips these vary in the amount of time per job, but you'll have time to use the restroom unless they try pushing you right out once you get to the other terminal but then let them know you have to go the bathroom and they can't deny you that.

2 minutes ago, Pkk said:

First of all you have your division. A or B. A division is the number trains, B division is the letter trains. Within that division you could go anywhere. You can start at Bedford Park boulevard in the Bronx today, and Coney Island stillwell avenue tomorrow. As extra extra, you're covering the people that are covering the people who book off. There's actually jobs specifically picked to cover people's days off, (RDO relief ) and people's vacations... (Vacation relief) Then you have extra list who covers unexpected absences. Then you have extra extra who covers the unexpected absences of the people who cover the unexpected absences, pretty much.

Some places have employee parking. Most don't. The vest in the window is frowned upon by the MTA officially and that's all I'll really say about it publicly. 

You'll have plenty of down time.  If you really need a bathroom break You can request one on the radio, stop your train and run for a bathroom. Just try to remember where the bathrooms are when you ask. Most station agents will give you their key to use their restroom, hopefully all you have to do is run right to one of them near your train rather than go upstairs and run a half a mile to a bathroom... Lol.  You will usually have 20 to 30 minutes minimum before your next train leaves. Sometime you only have 8 minutes, sometime you stay on the train and go right back out... But if you pick up the radio and call the dispatcher and say I need a "comfort" then you can have a moment to run to the restroom. Everyone's been where we are and some of them actually remember where they came from. 

32 minutes ago, Milano said:

First of all you have your division. A or B. A division is the number trains, B division is the letter trains. Within that division you could go anywhere. You can start at Bedford Park boulevard in the Bronx today, and Coney Island stillwell avenue tomorrow. As extra extra, you're covering the people that are covering the people who book off. There's actually jobs specifically picked to cover people's days off, (RDO relief ) and people's vacations... (Vacation relief) Then you have extra list who covers unexpected absences. Then you have extra extra who covers the unexpected absences of the people who cover the unexpected absences, pretty much.

Some places have employee parking. Most don't. The vest in the window is frowned upon by the MTA officially and that's all I'll really say about it publicly. 

You'll have plenty of down time.  If you really need a bathroom break You can request one on the radio, stop your train and run for a bathroom. Just try to remember where the bathrooms are when you ask. Most station agents will give you their key to use their restroom, hopefully all you have to do is run right to one of them near your train rather than go upstairs and run a half a mile to a bathroom... Lol.  You will usually have 20 to 30 minutes minimum before your next train leaves. Sometime you only have 8 minutes, sometime you stay on the train and go right back out... But if you pick up the radio and call the dispatcher and say I need a "comfort" then you can have a moment to run to the restroom. Everyone's been where we are and some of them actually remember where they came from. 

Thank you all very much the quick and honest replies. Which job is more stressful t/o or conductor? I know t/o are paid more than conductors. But sometimes money isn’t everything. My frds have frds or family who got t/o and conductor positions lately and all quit due the scheduling and other stuff you mentioned. Trying to get to know all the negative side of the job before I decide to jump into it. Once again very much appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Pkk said:

Thank you all very much the quick and honest replies. Which job is more stressful t/o or conductor? I know t/o are paid more than conductors. But sometimes money isn’t everything. My frds have frds or family who got t/o and conductor positions lately and all quit due the scheduling and other stuff you mentioned. Trying to get to know all the negative side of the job before I decide to jump into it. Once again very much appreciate it.

I think they're equally stressful. It's just different stressors.

Thinking about it, it might be a little more stressful to be a conductor because there's a whole ton of things train operator could do that the conductor can get banged in for. There's not a lot that I can think of that a conductor can do to cause a train operator to write a G2.

Our partnership on the train is a check and balance. There's 12 specific things, if the train operator does then we're supposed to pull the cord and report it. There's nothing that we do that would cause a train operator to pull a cord.. on one hand you don't want to get your friend in trouble, on the other hand if somebody's watching you're going to get yourself a trouble.

Edited by Milano

4 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

During the 8 to 9 weeks training are the new hires off weekends? 

Yes. Everything is Monday to Friday

I don't know anybody who's done it but there's rumors that some conductors go to train operator school for four or five months just to get some weekends and then they drop back to conductor lol

Please note that you probably won't get holidays off. When I went to school even though we had the weekend and a normal Monday to Friday schedule, we still had to work Labor Day, etc

Edited by Milano

5 minutes ago, Milano said:

Yes. Everything is Monday to Friday

I don't know anybody who's done it but there's rumors that some conductors go to train operator school for four or five months just to get some weekends and then they drop back to conductor lol

Please note that you probably won't get holidays off. When I went to school even though we had the weekend and a normal Monday to Friday schedule, we still had to work Labor Day, etc

Thanks appreciate it

16 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

yes and those will be the only weekends off you'll see for a while unless crew office decides to bless you

That's no problem, at my current job I had Tues and wed off for 5 years then I had Fri and Sat for 1 year then during the pandemic I had Mon and Tues for 2 years then now I'm at Sat and Sun. I've had all sorts of days change lol 

4 hours ago, Milano said:

When you say I can start at the Bronx today and Coney Island tmrw, do I sign in at the Bronx first then travel to Coney Island? Or do I report directly to Coney Island the next day then sign in?

Just now, Pkk said:

When you say I can start at the Bronx today and Coney Island tmrw, do I sign in at the Bronx first then travel to Coney Island? Or do I report directly to Coney Island the next day then sign in?

Every starting location has a sign in sheet.

3 minutes ago, Pkk said:

You may work a job on the D line at Bedford Park today making two round trips and then tomorrow, you can work on the Q line at Coney Island doing three round trips.

Each day can be different with different reporting times and location.

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

You may work a job on the D line at Bedford Park today making two round trips and then tomorrow, you can work on the Q line at Coney Island doing three round trips.

Each day can be different with different reporting times and location.

Wow that’s rough . Respect to all of you that went through it

15 minutes ago, Milano said:

Some people love it. Brings a lot of overtime sometimes, and you get to see something different everyday.

Yup I know a lot of people who love overtime. But there are also that prefer 8hrs and spend time with their family. Different mindset at different age

30 minutes ago, Pkk said:

Yup I know a lot of people who love overtime. But there are also that prefer 8hrs and spend time with their family. Different mindset at different age

Pkk obviously everyone understands the sacrifices we must make to enter the kingdom!! And it's not for everybody obviously!!! Transit doesn't care it seems where you are living, and they've certainly got 1000s of people literally who will gladly make those sacrifices to be financially secured along with amazing benefits!!

And truly pkk if there just now offering you the OPA I wouldn't even give transit your 25$ bucks.. if your list 9000s+ your chances are very very slim to make It in.. there's only 10 months left with 1800+ people before you to be canvassed and god only knows how many people restored there names back to the list..

im list 71##

And still waiting 💀 

But good luck man and yea there will be sacrifices.. I live in Central Connecticut and will gladly ride metro north down everyday if I must !!!!

Edited by Immortal11

15 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

Pkk obviously everyone understands the sacrifices we must make to enter the kingdom!! And it's not for everybody obviously!!! Transit doesn't care it seems where you are living, and they've certainly got 1000s of people literally who will gladly make those sacrifices to be financially secured along with amazing benefits!!

And truly pkk if there just now offering you the OPA I wouldn't even give transit your 25$ bucks.. if your list 9000s+ your chances are very very slim to make It in.. there's only 10 months left with 1800+ people before you to be canvassed and god only knows how many people restored there names back to the list..

im list 71##

And still waiting 💀 

But good luck man and yea there will be sacrifices.. I live in Central Connecticut and will gladly ride metro north down everyday if I must !!!!

Yeah this is def not for everyone. Lots of people thought this was a fantastic when we first took the exams years ago. Now they’re calling people all these years later. People going in with different mindsets compared to years ago and end up quitting. This forum gives good insight on what to expect. I was thinking bout skipping the opa. It might be dumb to skip it but realistically speaking I dont think imma get called at 99xx. Better off for me to take next exam if I still wanna do it.

A few questions. I’ll be in the April 10th class. Thanks in advance.

- When picking jobs after school car or picking divisions in school car does the date you were sworn in take precedence.

- Which division has greater turnover A or B. Will one allow you to pick a job faster.

- How much is night differential? 
- if you want to work midnights after school car will that be difficult.

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Harlem said:

A few questions. I’ll be in the April 10th class. Thanks in advance.

- When picking jobs after school car or picking divisions in school car does the date you were sworn in take precedence.

- Which division has greater turnover A or B. Will one allow you to pick a job faster.

- How much is night differential? 
- if you want to work midnights after school car will that be difficult.

Thanks.

1. Your list/seniority number determines your place in line to pick division, and in the future jobs. Keep in mind, you may be XX for several years as many have been hired ahead of you at this point.

2. Pick the division that better suits your commute. You will find you will value the free time you have available over anything else.

3. Night differential is a buck and change.

4. Difficult in what way? If anything many that do come out prefer the midnight as it's less stressful during the day.

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

1. Your list/seniority number determines your place in line to pick division, and in the future jobs. Keep in mind, you may be XX for several years as many have been hired ahead of you at this point.

2. Pick the division that better suits your commute. You will find you will value the free time you have available over anything else.

3. Night differential is a buck and change.

4. Difficult in what way? If anything many that do come out prefer the midnight as it's less stressful during the day.

So what is difference between A ND B division ? ... from what I hear A is mostly bronx ?