Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

6 hours ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Then I might have to use Uber more then I would like.....side question,there's shifts that end at 2am? Yikes

This is a 24 hour business. You can literally end at any time of day. You might start at 13:11 and end at 22:58 or start at 3am and sit around on board, get a job at 10am and work until 6pm. Everything and anything can happen in your day here, but they won't let you go past 16 hours. Best is when you end in far Rockaway but your car is at 207 Street Manhattan and you can't get there because the switch is broken in Brooklyn. 🤣

Edited by Milano

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

also, it seems like they axed the OC conductor exam that was supposed to file in June

I just noticed that too. I wonder why? I did find it strange that they had TWO promotionals for conductor back to back. Maybe they'll extend this list a bit then start calling promotionals.

10 minutes ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

I just noticed that too. I wonder why? I did find it strange that they had TWO promotionals for conductor back to back. Maybe they'll extend this list a bit then start calling promotionals.

they cant extend this list anymore, as civil service exams can only.run a.max of 6 years, and well in feb 2024 it wouldve been 6 years at that point

12 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

also, it seems like they axed the OC conductor exam that was supposed to file in June

That's huge if they did, would also make sense why they are sending out opa's and all that still.

5 hours ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

Yes, expect to have a disorganized sleeping schedule, sleepless nights/mornings, etc. Until u can pick a job, u will be all over the place, as far as scheduling, hours worked, location of pick up/ drop off...etc. Its tough in the beginning. If you can get through that in the beginning Until you're able to pick a steady job, you're good.

Haha, this is where my specialty comes into play.

2 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I wouldnt use uber in nyc, youll see your check disappear fast esp for you

This. I don't know how people can use ride share that often, it's expensive!

17 hours ago, Milano said:

The schedule is probably the most complicated thing to answer. We report to yards and terminals. Theoretically you could be ordered to work anyplace at any station (platform jobs, etc) but first you'll report to a yard or a terminal.

You'll go everywhere. For me, uptown is closer to my home. I had about 50% uptown work when I started, then I was everyplace, then I won a bid (regular job that someone vacated) so I worked that, then they sent me everyplace again, and now I've been uptown much of the time with a random Queens thrown in)

Trains and buses are always your best bet when you're on probation because if the train or the bus is late,  your lateness will be excused. Of course, you can't jump on a train that was scheduled to arrive at your starting location 2 minutes before you were supposed to start. If the train was supposed to get there 8 or 10 minutes before your starting time and it was late, and they'll excuse it.  You'll make your own decision on driving or not depending on what job they give you for the day.

Thanks for all the info. Truly appreciate it. I have a follow up if you don’t mind, does the tour time change daily or weekly (as in is it AM 1 day, PM the next or is it AM 1 week and PM the next). Besides that, any backpack or boot brand you reccomend being on the job? :)

5 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

Thanks for all the info. Truly appreciate it. I have a follow up if you don’t mind, does the tour time change daily or weekly (as in is it AM 1 day, PM the next or is it AM 1 week and PM the next). Besides that, any backpack or boot brand you reccomend being on the job? :)

Normally your RDOs wont change that often but it can happen

21 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

Thanks for all the info. Truly appreciate it. I have a follow up if you don’t mind, does the tour time change daily or weekly (as in is it AM 1 day, PM the next or is it AM 1 week and PM the next). Besides that, any backpack or boot brand you recommend being on the job? :)

They'll put you on a specific tour. AM PM or MID. you'll probably stay on the Tour... But PM for example can start at 1 pm or 8 pm... So it's not really that reliable, and they'll find you the latest jobs the day before you're off. 

I prefer the CAT boots. The backpack is whatever. I have the Kaka bag but I'm looking for something smaller.

21 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Me and my wife have one but she mostly needs it plus I hate driving into city,I'll get a second car maybe after a few months with mta

U can get familiar with New Jersey transit busses or trains. Theres also small private busses that be around port authority that go into Jersey. Get the closest to the part of NJ you live, then u can probably take an uber from there, if the busses or trains don't leave u close enough instead of getting an uber from NY to NJ.

53 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Me and my wife have one but she mostly needs it plus I hate driving into city,I'll get a second car maybe after a few months with mta 

Just keep in mind you're allowed only 2 latenesses in your first year. School car will have you in all 4 boroughs and if it's like mine, the regular days were 3-11pm and Fridays were 5-1am.  Tests and practicals were 7am.

I did 2 hotel stays during school car before my tests because it wasn't enough sleep on most days.

Edited by Milano

Hi. Does anyone know when the class after may 22nd  is? i was placed on medical hold so I won’t make it in for the class that scheduled on that day. After I submit my documents will I be placed back in line or is there something else that I will need to do or start the process all over again? Also should note that my drug test was taken in march. Will I need to do that over? I had a vacation that was planned for July but I’d love to bump it up for June before the next class if I’m able to get it. Thanks 

39 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

Hi. Does anyone know when the class after may 22nd  is? i was placed on medical hold so I won’t make it in for the class that scheduled on that day. After I submit my documents will I be placed back in line or is there something else that I will need to do or start the process all over again? Also should note that my drug test was taken in march. Will I need to do that over? I had a vacation that was planned for July but I’d love to bump it up for June before the next class if I’m able to get it. Thanks 

Drug test only for for 90 days. Pre-employment packet also only good for 90 days, so you'll possibly do another pre-employment.  There's a few guys here who went through this, I'll let them answer the specifics.

54 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

When you clear medical hold, there should be a second class available because they know that some people can’t clear it before the first one. Like for example, i was supposed to take a class back in 2021 but I missed it because of medical hold. Early 2022 they called me for a second opportunity but I still didn’t clear it in time. They said they normally always have a second class because of people on medical hold.

4 hours ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

I asked about regarding planned vacation and take off days before but some said I was most likely sh** out luck.. It is pre booked and paid already which sucks so much because I will lose out on it and take some loss.

9 minutes ago, alexx said:

I asked about regarding planned vacation and take off days before but some said I was most likely sh** out luck.. It is pre booked and paid already which sucks so much because I will lose out on it and take some loss.

For many, this job is a long term investment with many many short term sacrifices. It does suck to lose that vacation, but you'll never pay a doctor's bill again - among other things.

7 hours ago, alexx said:

Don't worry. Once u finish probation you'll get your one week PAID vacation. Then 2 weeks, then 4 weeks as time goes on. You also accumulate AVAs (Paid Single Vacation Days). Once u accumulate a few of those and If/when u get to pick a steady Job and you have steady RDOs (Regular Days off) u can make your own little vacations besides the solid week you're given for the first year. For example..if U have Tues/Weds off regularly...U can request an AVA for Monday, you're already off Tues &Weds and request another AVA on Thurs and if you're lucky, you'll get to request and be approved for Friday. Now u got a week off u can plan a vacation. Many of us do that down here.

11 hours ago, alexx said:

Yes I know lol. That’s why I’m trying to bump my vacation up. I’m scared though. They literally call and ask for us to come in on such short notice.

12 hours ago, alexx said:

Inform one of the TSS who will have you talk to one of the superintendents and have proof on hand that you paid for your vacation already. They might not accommodate you depending on when the vacation lands during your training, but it's worth a shot.

16 hours ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

Next one looks to be in July.

4 hours ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

Don't worry. Once u finish probation you'll get your one week PAID vacation. Then 2 weeks, then 4 weeks as time goes on. You also accumulate AVAs (Paid Single Vacation Days). Once u accumulate a few of those and If/when u get to pick a steady Job and you have steady RDOs (Regular Days off) u can make your own little vacations besides the solid week you're given for the first year. For example..if U have Tues/Weds off regularly...U can request an AVA for Monday, you're already off Tues &Weds and request another AVA on Thurs and if you're lucky, you'll get to request and be approved for Friday. Now u got a week off u can plan a vacation. Many of us do that down here.

Just want to make a minor correction. New hires employed for less than a year will accumulate a vacation day per month up to ten days (two weeks). Which means those in the May 22nd class will get seven days of vacation (June-December). They will be able to pick a week of vacation and have another two days as AVA.

Depending on when the July class start, they will either get five or six vacation days.

42 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Inform one of the TSS who will have you talk to one of the superintendents and have proof on hand that you paid for your vacation already. They might not accommodate you depending on when the vacation lands during your training, but it's worth a shot.

Next one looks to be in July.

Just want to make a minor correction. New hires employed for less than a year will accumulate a vacation day per month up to ten days (two weeks). Which means those in the May 22nd class will get seven days of vacation (June-December). They will be able to pick a week of vacation and have another two days as AVA.

Depending on when the July class start, they will either get five or six vacation days.

Thank you for the update. I’ll try to make that one.