Bus Announcements

Nycboy95

Ok so I used to take the NICE bus (those who take that bus will know) and I noticed that their busses have built in GPS and automated announcements.. The bus would detect the street and say what stop Is next. Some NYCT bus drivers don't announce the stops and who knows how many people get lost or don't know when it is their stop. I feel that there should be Automated Annoucnements so we can avoid this problem. Preferably on SBS or maybe the new busses in the future. I liked the idea because whenever the bus would be at the street it would announce the stop and would also alert people.. Would be beneficial for the Elderly or those with not so great hearing or vision.

I feel that they should implement such system on the newer NYCT bus fleets like the artics , and future ones to come.

What do you guys think?

Like for example, if the Bx12 stopped at Fordham plaza, the announcement will say

"Third Avenue-Fordham Plaza, Transfer, Bx9,Bx15,Bx17,Bx22, Bx41 Select Bus Service and BeeLine bus: 60, 61. Connection is available to Metro North"

Ok so I used to take the NICE bus (those who take that bus will know) and I noticed that their busses have built in GPS and automated announcements.. The bus would detect the street and say what stop Is next. Some NYCT bus drivers don't announce the stops and who knows how many people get lost or don't know when it is their stop. I feel that there should be Automated Annoucnements so we can avoid this problem. Preferably on SBS or maybe the new busses in the future. I liked the idea because whenever the bus would be at the street it would announce the stop and would also alert people.. Would be beneficial for the Elderly or those with not so great hearing or vision.

I feel that they should implement such system on the newer NYCT bus fleets like the artics , and future ones to come.

What do you guys think?

Like for example, if the Bx12 stopped at Fordham plaza, the announcement will say

"Third Avenue-Fordham Plaza, Transfer, Bx9,Bx15,Bx17,Bx22, Bx41 Select Bus Service and BeeLine bus: 60, 61. Connection is available to Metro North"

I find them extremely annoying especially on commuter buses.  They are ok on local buses though, but the problem is they bombard you with other nonsense in the process.

• 1 month later...

I find them extremely annoying especially on commuter buses.  They are ok on local buses though, but the problem is they bombard you with other nonsense in the process.

I've seen it on the I bus and it isn't too horrible they only make announcements for drop off stops  

What do you guys think?

Requiring drivers to announce every connection could easily cause passengers to miss those connections (because they'd have to listen to the whole announcement before being allowed to leave the bus).

When NICE was still MTA Long Island Bus, some stops were announced simply as "Major Transfer Point"; that should be enough.

Archived