Another TWU Ad

TheNewYorkElevated

The latest of advertising by the TWU (Transport Workers Union) that warns of the consequences of a not fully funded capital program for he (MTA). It shows Mayor DeBlasio operating a vandalized subway car. The ad warns his policies will take the subway system back to the 1970's and 80's.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politics/union-slams-de-blasio-transit-funding-policies-ad-article-1.2376697

What do you think? Discuss.

I look at like this, with the MTA having a rep of continuous projects being pushed back with delays case in point 7 West Extension, maybe the state has lost some confidence in this agency, yet with the record ridership only increasing day by day, year after year the state should do its part and fund or else its only gonna get worse from here.

There is currently no sustained way of paying for the Capital Plan. Every five years, the MTA either has to issue more debt, or the state and city have to dig around to find billions in their budget that they can just suddenly divert. It's not hard to see why it's polticially complicated.

I know that. I'm saying it's odd that they didn't bring up the 270+ cars we have operating from the 1960s and presumably won't be completely retired until after 2020...

That is just a misfortune that we got all these old cars still running in the system. Then the R44's had their problems and the MTA retired all of the NYCT units. There were several good R44 sets that the MTA just scrapped so it is their fault they are in the situation they are in now with car availability.

That is just a misfortune that we got all these old cars still running in the system. Then the R44's had their problems and the MTA retired all of the NYCT units. There were several good R44 sets that the MTA just scrapped so it is their fault they are in the situation they are in now with car availability.

The R44s were garbage, so the MTA was basically screwed either way.  General overhaul or not, they always had  some problem or another.  Most personnel I used to know disliked them (of course if there's anyone who used to work with them and had a different experience, feel free to share).

Archived