Seven Things the MTA's Capital Plan Does. You'll Probably Only Notice Three of Them.

jon2305

I cringe every single time. It makes my blood boil whenever I see a period in a headline. Multiple sentences in second-person do not a headline make.

I have to agree... The punctuation in this country thanks to the upcoming generation is a mess.  I was tutoring a kid yesterday and kept correcting him... "More" better... Then there's the infamous "ed" ending on words that already end with "ed"... <_<  

Ok first and foremost, I don't understand how this thread all of a sudden became a topic for grammar nazi's, the education system in this country is bad anyways IMO, not to mention all the garbage thats put out there from the media & american pop culture in general, that's why I feel bad for the upcoming generation because of what their expose to these days. Anyway, let's stay on topic on this thread.

Ok first and foremost, I don't understand how this thread all of a sudden became a topic for grammar nazi's, the education system in this country is bad anyways IMO, not to mention all the garbage thats put out there from the media & american pop culture in general, that's why I feel bad for the upcoming generation because of what their expose to these days. Anyway, let's stay on topic on this thread.

Nobody's being a grammar nazi. If I were being a grammar nazi, I would say that it's "nazis," not "nazi's." But I'm not being one. ;) 

Point is, this trend of headlines is lame and built for clickbait, and it's too bad that WNYC has joined on to it. That's a comment about the story, after all.

Hmm, the headline is hogwash. All of these 7 elements will have tangible effects. By "notice" do they mean "Register a physical change visually?" because if so, that's asinine

Those "highly visible" blue intercoms seem like a waste of money, and most of them weren't fully installed that I've seen at several subway stations.  If anything they'll be highly visible for rampant vandalism.   <_<

I mean, the #1 use case for the help-points I believe is quickly contacting the powers that be in the event a person becomes stranded on the roadbed. These things very well may save lives, and at a fraction of the cost of the dreaded platform screen doors.

I have to agree... The punctuation in this country thanks to the upcoming generation is a mess.  I was tutoring a kid yesterday and kept correcting him... "More" better... Then there's the infamous "ed" ending on words that already end with "ed"... <_<

Not for nothing, your statement is ambiguous due to poor punctuation. :D  

"The punctuation in this country, thanks to the upcoming generation, is a mess." is what I believe you meant.

Also the corrections you had to provide the child you were tutoring were grammar, not punctuation. But that said - the child's command of grammar is far less a result of his own generation, but the generation that educated him and creates the media he consumes. 

In any event, we have social media, and social media news firms such as Upworthy and Buzzfeed to thank for garbage headlines like this. Don't blame the children.

I mean, the #1 use case for the help-points I believe is quickly contacting the powers that be in the event a person becomes stranded on the roadbed. These things very well may save lives, and at a fraction of the cost of the dreaded platform screen doors.

Not for nothing, your statement is ambiguous due to poor punctuation. :D  

"The punctuation in this country, thanks to the upcoming generation, is a mess." is what I believe you meant.

Also the corrections you had to provide the child you were tutoring were grammar, not punctuation. But that said - the child's command of grammar is far less a result of his own generation, but the generation that educated him and creates the media he consumes. 

In any event, we have social media, and social media news firms such as Upworthy and Buzzfeed to thank for garbage headlines like this. Don't blame the children.

1. Whatever they're supposed to be for, if they're not installed, no one can use them, so you're back to square one.  That's the point.  Aside from that, I question how many people actually know what they're for. 

2. If we want to be anal, I could correct your sentence as well.... Also, the corrections you had to provide the child you were tutoring were grammar, not punctuation.  :D

As for my punctuation on here, I don't care about it since no one is paying me for my posts.  I generally don't re-read what I write here unless I am adding something, so those extra commas, while correct, aren't the end of the world.  When I'm writing e-mails to clients, those I re-read and check, not these posts.

Archived