Passenger in LIRR cab

QM1to6Ave

Well this isn't great...is it true that doors to the cab are often left open? I've never seen that.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/11/03/lirr-passenger-in-off-limits-engineers-cab/

MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A passenger was caught drinking and riding the railsicon1.png inside an off-limits engineer’s cabin this past weekend, and some have asked where the safety protocols are.

As CBS2’s Jennifer McLogan reported, LIRR passengers gathered around Monday to view cellphone video captured by a passengericon1.pngon the 7:08 train out of Penn Station headed east to Babylon this past weekend.

The Long Islander who shot the vide was stunned that in full view of conductors and train personnel, a commuter hunkered down inside the engineer’s cab – off limits to the public – amid buttons, dials, brakes and door controls. He was allegedly seen drinking a beer and reading the evening paper.

“Just because the train’sicon1.png crowded, they should not be sitting at the conductor’s chair — especially having a beer,” said LIRR commuter Lou Prats. “To me, the safety of the train is more important.”

“If you’re drinking, some of the controls – don’t know what could happen, you know?” said LIRR commuter Michelle Adjua.

“I would like to see more securityicon1.png of the train for safety,” said LIRR commuter Ana Trigoso.

The rush hour rail car looked filled, and with a few empty seats, the rider seemed to find comfort and an open space to stretch out. At one point, a passenger – apparently thinking the man in the cab was a conductor – asked a schedule question.

LIRR commuter Davon Jones said off-limits seating is not all that unusual during rush hour.

“They usually leave the doors open so that we can sit there when there’s not enough seats,” Jones said.

At one point, the engineer passed right by the open cab, and did not ask the man to move out of the secure area.

The railroad said the interloper would not have been able to use the controls without a key, and there was never any risk to passengers. Still, the LIRR said the door should have been locked and was being investigated Tuesday.

In response to the possible breach, the LIRR Commuter Council watchdog agency responded, “The LIRR Commuter Council is quite concerned about this possible violation which could have both security and safety implications.”

The council asked, “What if a full beer had been spilled all over the controls?”

How could the engineer pass right by the open cab when (supposedly), he was operating the train?

Each cab is setup the same in the M7's so this could be in any of the cab's on the train. If the conductor didn't pay no mind then you can probably do the math.Its not smart but there's more to this story..

I heard it was an off duty employee. Even so (and I'm hoping best case scenario)

The source is from CBS. I didn't click the link yet, but I won't be surprised if this story is another concoction from the witch that is Meg Baker....

Must have been another slow news day for the media to yet again make something of nothing. There is no security breach. The worse this guy could do is give the horn a toot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good idea to have passengers sit there. There's not a whole lot he can do with out a master controller key.

As far as the conductor looking the other way, the train was clearly standing room only. The conductor would be adding insult to injury by asking the passenger to move. Thinking about it, where he is sitting isn't much worse than passengers sitting across from the cabs in the fold down seats (which I don't agree with either).

Must have been another slow news day for the media to yet again make something of nothing. There is no security breach. The worse this guy could do is give the horn a toot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good idea to have passengers sit there. There's not a whole lot he can do with out a master controller key.

As far as the conductor looking the other way, the train was clearly standing room only. The conductor would be adding insult to injury by asking the passenger to move. Thinking about it, where he is sitting isn't much worse than passengers sitting across from the cabs in the fold down seats (which I don't agree with either).

I don't take LIRR often when it's crowded, so is leaving the cab open a usual occurance? I'm used to the subway where the cabs are locked (although, come to think of it, aren't subway cabs pretty much inoperable without a key as well?)

• 2 weeks later...

The Long Islander who shot the vide was stunned that in full view of conductors and train personnel, a commuter hunkered down inside the engineer’s cab – off limits to the public – amid buttons, dials, brakes and door controls. He was allegedly seen drinking a beer and reading the evening paper.

...Do they even publish evening papers anymore?  LOL

Archived