Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C service should operate between WTC (E) and 168 st (A)(C)(1) during late nights

This is overkill on Eighth Avenue.

since that is not viable, we could try extending the (Z) and having it terminate at Sands St rather than Broad St. during rush hours only the (Z) would run to Jamaica Center (and skip stop)but all other times it would run as a local and terminate at Cypress Hills or Malcolm X Blvd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a need for this service? If this would be an elevated line there would be so much opposition to it. If it were to be a subway line, then there would have to be a portal. There would not be a room for the portal, and if the line were to be constructed property would have to be taken.

Hopefully when they extend the (Q) / (T) to the Bronx (via 3rd Av), they should connect it with the (D) at Gun Hill Road. I propose Gun Hill Road should have an upper 3/4 track level for (D) / (T) service and a lower 3 track level for the (Q) to terminate at (in case of a reroute). The (D) / (T)  from there would go via Gun Hill Road to Co-Op City. (as well as making a connection to (2) / (5) trains at both Gun Hill Road stations)

I think that extending the Q via Third Avenue is a good idea, but I personally think it should run via Third Avenue before turning off at Fordham Road, running via Pelham Parkway to Co-Op City. That is way too many tracks at your Gun Hill Road station.

Select Bus services have given me a rather good idea on a few things that can be done for a better Subway.

These include:

207 St Crosstown Subway (would run along 207 St in Manhattan and Fordham Rd and Pelham Pkwy in the Bronx)

2 AV Subway (current plans, with addition of Whitehall St station connection to 1,R,W)

34 St Subway

(Would run from Chelsea Pier to 1 AV, then descend to 23 St/AV C)

Verrazano Narrows Crossing (create a BMT/IND Subway between Staten Island Mall and 86 St R station that uses the aforementioned bridge)

Restoration of (8) service on 3 AV Line in the Bronx

Nostrand Av Service Extension (Extend the Nostrand AV Line South to Knapp St and North to Marcy Av JMZ station)

125 St Crosstown Subway

(Would run from 116 St 1 station, ascend to 125 st and run along it in Manhattan, then go into Queens and run to LaGuardia Airport by way of Astoria Blvd)

86 St Subway (Would run along 86 St connecting all of its Subway stops, including the 2 AV Subway stop)

Bronx Queens Crosstown

(A BMT/IND Subway would run from Tremont AV 2,5 station along the Cross Bronx Expressway to Lafayette Av, where it would cross the Whitestone Bridge and run along Parsons Blvd and Main St in Queens, before eventually coming to the Queens Blvd Lind, where it would follow the E to Jamaica Center. This would also involve extending the Archer AV Line one stop to Merrick Blvd)

Utica Av Subway

(A Subway would run down Malcolm X Blvd/Utica Av between Kosciusko St J station and Av U)

LaGuardia Line

(Create an IRT Subway between 61 St 7 station and Laguardia Airport)

23 St Subway

(Create a Subway that would run the length of 23 St, then descend to 20 St/AV C)

If you read the FEIS for the Second Avenue Subway, it is clear that building a station at Whitehall would prevent the line from being extended into Brooklyn. The line would have to be deep enough to cross under the East River.

A 34th Street subway would be impossible to build. There already is a mess of underground infrastructure there: Penn Station with the LIRR, Amtrak and NJT tracks, the Eighth Avenue Line, the Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line, the Sixth Avenue Line, the Broadway Line and the Lexington Avenue Line. I am not yet mentioning the basements of buildings, and pipes, sewers and electrical wires.

If you are going to build a line to Staten Island, it should go from Lower Manhattan. Otherwise it won't save any time.

A 23rd Street line is not needed. If you need crosstown service take the (L).

If you extend the Nostrand Avenue Line northward the junction at Rogers Avenue Junction would have to be rebuilt to allow trains to go under the junction. Also, you would have shuttle trains from Williamsburg? Not very many people would ride that. Just build a Utica Avenue Line instead.

Your Bronx – Queens Crosstown would not be a good investment. It would cost a lot for not many riders. The Whitestone Bridge can't have trains run on it. Perhaps light rail, but even that would require some reworking of the bridge. It would be a really long subway line. With the high cost of subway construction, it should only be done where it is needed.

Why do you propose bringing back the Third Avenue el? Just have a new Third Avenue subway connecting to the SAS. Don't leave it as a shuttle.

Your LGA subway would be an IRT line. All new lines are built to B Division specifications because they can hold more passengers. If this is a branch of the IRT Flushing Line this is a garbage plan. If it is a branch then half of all 7 service east of Woodside would be removed. It is one of the most crowded subway lines. If it is elevated, then the whole station would have to be rebuilt. These communities don't want an elevated line through them. The Q70 is fast enough. If you are planning to have a subway line to LGA, extend the BMT Astoria Line.

And yet somehow there are enough subway cars for a (T) to Fordham. /s

If this is the worst thing about that idea, then this is one of the best proposals done in this thread.

If there are more subway cars, then yes, the (W) should be extended to Brooklyn. I am not sure whether it would make more sense ridership-wise to go via the Sea Beach or the West End.

If you extend the Nostrand Avenue Line northward the junction at Rogers Avenue Junction would have to be rebuilt to allow trains to go under the junction. Also, you would have shuttle trains from Williamsburg? Not very many people would ride that. Just build a Utica Avenue Line instead.

So a southward extension of the Nostrand Avenue Line and the Utica Av Line from my plans might work?

I personally would extend the Nostrand Avenue Line to Avenue W. I would have a Utica Avenue Line branch off of the Second Avenue Subway at 8th Street, running under the East River, Grand Street, Bushwick Avenue, Utica Avenue, and Flatbush Avenue to Avenue U.

So a southward extension of the Nostrand Avenue Line and the Utica Av Line from my plans might work?

UTICA AV SUBWAY

Kosciusko St (Change for J)

Gates Av (Malcolm X Blvd

Halsey St (Malcolm X Blvd)

Fulton St (Change for A,C)

Eastern Pkwy (Change for 3,4)

Empire Blvd (Utica Av)

Winthrop St (Utica Av)

Church Av (Utica Av)

Av D (Utica Av)

Av H (Utica Av)

Flatlands Av (Utica Av) OR Av K (UTICA Av)

Av N (UTICA Av)

Av U (Flatbush Av)

NOSTRAND AV EXTENSION

Av L (Nostrand Av)

Kings Hwy (Nostrand AV)

Av U (Nostrand Av)

Av X (Nostrand Av)

Shore Pkwy (Nostrand Av)

Emmons AV (Nostrand Av)

Knapp St (Emmons AV)

UTICA AV SUBWAY

Kosciusko St (Change for J)

Gates Av (Malcolm X Blvd

Halsey St (Malcolm X Blvd)

Fulton St (Change for A,C)

Eastern Pkwy (Change for 3,4)

Empire Blvd (Utica Av)

Winthrop St (Utica Av)

Church Av (Utica Av)

Av D (Utica Av)

Av H (Utica Av)

Flatlands Av (Utica Av) OR Av K (UTICA Av)

Av N (UTICA Av)

Av U (Flatbush Av)

I thought the general consensus was that the Utica Ave would be built first as an extension of the (4) and then linked up with a potential subway through Williamsburg in the long term.

NOSTRAND AV EXTENSION

Av L (Nostrand Av)

Kings Hwy (Nostrand AV)

Av U (Nostrand Av)

Av X (Nostrand Av)

Shore Pkwy (Nostrand Av)

Emmons AV (Nostrand Av)

Knapp St (Emmons AV)

Get rid of the last three stops, and terminate the extension at Voorhies Ave. Otherwise, sounds good.

Bringing this over from the Random Thoughts Thread:

I took the  (J) to Broad Street yesterday. My group missed the first one, but the second one came in soon after. The thing was, after Fulton Street, the train was held in the tunnel to clear out the  (J) up ahead. I predict lots more trouble if Broad Street were both a terminal and through station since it has only 2 tracks.

Which is exactly why I would split this line into (J) and 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png, with both lines terminating at Chambers (save for a handful of rush-hour (J) trains that would continue to Broad to fill gaps in the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png schedule then and the handful of 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png trains that would continue to or begin at Broadway Junction because they are going to/coming from the yard).

Edited by Wallyhorse

Bringing this over from the Random Thoughts Thread:

Which is exactly why I would split this line into (J) and 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png, with both lines terminating at Chambers (save for a handful of rush-hour (J) trains that would continue to Broad to fill gaps in the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png schedule then and the handful of 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png trains that would continue to or begin at Broadway Junction because they are going to/coming from the yard).

But you still have the  (J) terminating at Broad (even reduced frequencies could be an issue at rush hour) and the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png running through...

Isn't that exactly the situation he was worried about?

I thought the general consensus was that the Utica Ave would be built first as an extension of the (4) and then linked up with a potential subway through Williamsburg in the long term.

Get rid of the last three stops, and terminate the extension at Voorhies Ave. Otherwise, sounds good.

what is wrong with the last three stops? I thought S Brooklyn needed more service.

I thought a 2 AV Subway service could be connected to Nassau St and run along Jamaica to the UTICA line

But you still have the  (J) terminating at Broad (even reduced frequencies could be an issue at rush hour) and the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png running through...

Isn't that exactly the situation he was worried about?

That would be not much different than when the pre-2010 (M) train went through Broad in rush hours to Bay Parkway.

Also, it would be a MAX of 4 TPH doing that.  In the old days, you had 12 (J) / (Z) TPH terminating there PLUS having (M) trains run through to Brooklyn.  

This would be a bit different because these (J) trains (up to 4 TPH) would be filling gaps since the (K) would be maxed at 8 TPH.

Edited by Wallyhorse