Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Similiar to Create your own bus route! in our MTA Bus Operations forum, create your own subway route. Assign your subway route a route bullet, describe the route, station locations and transfers, assign cars (past, present or future subway cars), and assign a yard. Most of all have fun!

This is my own Create Your Own Subway Route:

70(8) Third Avenue

• New I.R.T. (A Division) Route

• Uses R62s

• Serves Third Avenue, Webster Avenue and East Gun Hill Road

Stations

Manhattan

• East Harlem-Park-Lexington Avenues Transfer (4)(5)(6)<6>(Q)(T) MNRR

The Bronx

• East 138th Street Transfer (6)<6>

• The Hub-East 149th Street Transfer (2)(5)

• East 156th Street

• East 161st Street

• East 168th Street

• Claremont Parkway

• East 174th Street

• East Tremont Avenue

• East 180th Street

• East 183d Street

• Fordham Plaza

• Bedford Park Boulevard

• 204th Street

• Williamsbridge-210th Street

• White Plains Road Transfer (2)(5)

• Seymour Avenue-East Gun Hill Road Transfer (5)

The 70(8) is based at Unionport Yard in The Bronx

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower Manhattan/5th Av/Central Park East Local

New IND line.

Runs: R68, R160B, R211.

Utilizes Lenox Yard.

Pink (Y)

South Ferry (connection to (1)(R))

Fulton St (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(J)(Z)

Worth St @ Lafayette St

Broome St @ Broadway

West Houston St @ W Broadway

Washington Square Park N @ 5th Av

14th St @ 5th Av

23rd St @ 5th Av (N)(R)

34th St @ 5th Av

42nd St @ 5th Av (B)(D)(F)(M)(7)

53rd St @ 5th Av (E)(M)

59th St @ 5th Av (N)(Q)(R)

66th St @ 5th Av

72nd St @ 5th Av

82nd St @ 5th Av

89th St @ 5th Av

96th St @ 5th Av

104th St @ 5th Av

110th St @ 5th Av

116th St @ 5th Av

125th St @ 5th Av

135th St @ 5th Av

142nd St @ 5th Av

BMT El

(S) via McDonald Av & Church Av

5 car R160 set

This route will utilize the Culver El from Av X until Ditmas Av. It will then branch off the el, continue north until it hits Church Av and will then make its way down Church Av, terminating at Kings Hwy (for those of you who don't know, Kings Hwy does intersect with Church Av). Trains will be based out of the CI yard via the switch at Av X.

Stops in order from south terminal:

Av X (F) B4 B1

Av U (F) B3

Kings Hwy (F) B82

18th Av (F) B8

Ditmas (F) Av

Church Av - McDonald Av (F)(G) B67 B35

Coney Island Av B68 B35

E. 18th St (B)(Q) B35

Flatbush Av B41 B35

Nostrand Av (2)(5) B44 B35

Utica Av B46 B35

Kings Hwy B7 B35

Here's a map showing a portion of the line from McDonald - Church Av to Kings Hwy (I don't have Photoshop so bear with me) *Note: I forgot to put the station symbol for Utica Av.

Untitled-1.png

Edited by TrainFanatic

Stops in order from south terminal:

Av X (F) B4 B1

Av U (F) B3

Kings Hwy (F) B82

18th Av (F) B8

Ditmas (F) Av

Church Av - McDonald Av (F)(G) B67 B35

Coney Island Av B68 B35

E. 18th St (B)(Q) B35

Flatbush Av (2)(5) B41 B35

Nostrand Av B44 B35

Utica Av B46 B35

Kings Hwy B7 B35

Here's a map showing a portion of the line from McDonald - Church Av to Kings Hwy (I don't have Photoshop so bear with me):

Untitled-1.png

You should eliminate either East 18th Street or Flatbush Avenue because Flatbush Avenue is too close to East 18th Street.

I would prefer eliminate Flatbush Avenue so East 18 Street has transfers with the (:)(Q) trains.

Also, there is a transfer on the (2)(5) at Nostrand Avenue, not Flatbush Avenue, but I don't blame you.

You should eliminate either East 18th Street or Flatbush Avenue because Flatbush Avenue is too close to East 18th Street.

I would prefer eliminate Flatbush Avenue so East 18 Street has transfers with the (B)(Q) trains.

Also, there is a transfer on the (2)(5) at Nostrand Avenue, not Flatbush Avenue, but I don't blame you.

Thanks for the correction. I made a mistake.

As for Flatbush and E. 18th, their both valubale transfer points even thou both stations would be pretty close to one another. I just can't imagine having a shuttle run down Church Av and pass such a major avenue.

Won't a crosstown Brooklyn Line with the current (L) work better then a (S).

This shuttle would take a major load off the B35 and would reduce heavy traffic along Church Av. Just getting from Coney Island Av to Flatbush Av on the B35 takes 12-15 minutes during evening rush hour! It should only take 5-7 minutes!

Mine would be an orange (P) train, it would be 100% R160s.

Stops from north to south:

On 5th Avenue:

125th Street

116th Street

106th Street

96th Street

86th Street

79th Street

68th Street

Merges with the (F):

57th Street

49th Street

42nd Street

34th Street

23rd Street

14th Street

W4th Street

Goes on the (E) line:

Spring Street

Canal Street

World Trade Center

Though if the you give the current (L) this alignment it would work. Plus a section of existing railroad the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch is down here. The Bay Ridge Branch can carry a total of 6 tracks. They removed 4 tracks over the years so they only have 2 tracks for current operations. You could have 2 tracks certified for subway usage, and send the (L) down this line taking the load off all the buses, because a train can carry more people then a bus. Plus the (S) cars are usually short. An 8 car (L) train would not just take people off the B35 it would reduce crowding on all buses.

The SIR is a railroad. Plus some Staten Islanders don't want the subway for fears of crime. A better idea is to use the current 2 remaining tracks on the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch which are railroad tracks, and send it into a tunnel to St. George. The Staten Islanders won't have to be afraid of crime, because of the high fares or that is what they think. Also it can run down the current SIR tracks without too much modifications to the line. The Bay Ridge Line is also connected to the Atlantic Branch a current passenger branch which is also helpful, and it's also right by the waterfront too. If you walk to the end of the Bath Beach Boardwalk you can see the tracks. If you send it into a tunnel from there it can make it to Staten Island. It's shorter too, and it would go directly to Saint George. Also a Manhattan connection is impossible. There are too many subway tunnels in Lower Manhattan. The tunnel would bump into other tunnels along the way, and also the (1) isn't a good option, because South Ferry is too close to the Waterfront to dip under the harbor. There are no stations near the location on the Bay Ridge Branch, and if you move the tracks back a bit you can have the right alignment to go under the harbor.

Though if the you give the current (L) this alignment it would work. Plus a section of existing railroad the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch is down here. The Bay Ridge Branch can carry a total of 6 tracks. They removed 4 tracks over the years so they only have 2 tracks for current operations. You could have 2 tracks certified for subway usage, and send the (L) down this line taking the load off all the buses, because a train can carry more people then a bus. Plus the (S) cars are usually short. An 8 car (L) train would not just take people off the B35 it would reduce crowding on all buses.

If the (L) were to run down the Bay Ridge branch, it certainly wouldn't help take the load off the B35. The Bay Ridge branch is a little more than a mile from Church Av.

I though there were several existing subway stations along Church Avenue. Though if you send the (L) via along Church Avenue the cost would be extremely high. You would have to tunnel your way across. Why do that when an existing line that has room for extra tracks that can be rebuilt for subway use just exist a mile away.

I though there were several existing subway stations along Church Avenue. Though if you send the (L) via along Church Avenue the cost would be extremely high. You would have to tunnel your way across. Why do that when an existing line that has room for extra tracks that can be rebuilt for subway use just exist a mile away.

Well this is only fictional...

Hmm interesting topic, I wonder which one will I create B)

Line: Extension of the (L)

Streets that it goes under: 11th/Went End Avenue

Stations:

11/West End Avenue

96 Street: (1)(2)(3)

86 Street

80 Street

72 Street: Passageway to (1)(2)(3)

59 Street

50 Street

42 Street

34 Street

23 Street

14 Street-Chelsea Piers

Edited by E Local

Isn't a Tenth Avenue Subway better as an (L) extension too since the (L) is right near Tenth Avenue. Anyway such a subway doesn't have to go all the way up to 207th Street since it would compete with the current Eighth Avenue Line services. It's best to have it terminate at 59th Street-Columbus Circle to better serve the farther regions of the West Side.