Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Okay, this is completely out of the blue here, but IRT could (maybe)do with more service into Queens. The (6) could be extended along the Lexington Avenue Line to Bowling Green, then it would use the Brooklyn Bridge to cross the East River into Brooklyn, where it would have stops at the following new stations in Brooklyn and Queens.

Sands St (Brooklyn Bridge)

Adams St (Myrtle Avenue)

Jay St-Metrotech (Change for (A)(C)(F)(R)

Navy St (Myrtle Av)

Vanderbilt Av (Myrtle Av)

Washington Av (Myrtle Av)

Grand Av (Myrtle Av)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving on, there are also stops at

Greene Av (Grand Av)

Franklin Av (Lexington Av)

Nostrand Av (Lexington Av)

Tompkins Av (Lexington Av)

Marcus Garvey Blvd (Lexington Av)

Malcolm X Blvd (Lexington Av)

It would then run along an IRT Jamaica Line with transfers to the (J) and (Z) between Gates Av and Cypress Hills where it would terminate. Please disregard anything about Queens and Bowling Green.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When and if the MTA decides to make that Utica Ave extension for the (3) or  (4) , they should extend the (6) during late nights there to replace the  (4) via Utica since it'll run to New Lots at late nights, replacing the (3). The  (3) doesn't really need to be extended since the (1) / (2) runs local anyways at late nights and the (4) / (6) runs local as well during that time. 

Edited by Cone E Island

Okay, this is completely out of the blue here, but IRT could (maybe)do with more service into Queens. The (6) could be extended along the Lexington Avenue Line to Bowling Green, then it would use the Brooklyn Bridge to cross the East River into Brooklyn, where it would have stops at the following new stations in Brooklyn and Queens

Bowling Green is nowhere near the Brooklyn Bridge. How could the (6) train (or any Lexington Ave train for that matter) coming from Uptown/Midtown possibly be extended from Bowling Green over the Brooklyn Bridge? Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Bowling Green is nowhere near the Brooklyn Bridge. How could the (6) train (or any Lexington Ave train for that matter) coming from Uptown/Midtown possibly be extended from Bowling Green over the Brooklyn Bridge?

please disregard that, that was a mistake.

Also, somehow the (N) somehow manages to get to 36 Street at the same time as the (D), and both stop and hold before on of them proceeds...

I also notice that the (R) has been beating the (N) to 36th Street for a while now. We end up passing it between 45th and 36th or it gets held at 59th...

After the merge though, it’s supposed to be smooth sailing, which is not the case. Functionally, it’s like an imaginary train is always merging in right before Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center. The (N) being saddled with artificial delays is another issue altogether.

Okay, this is completely out of the blue here, but IRT could (maybe)do with more service into Queens. The (6) could be extended along the Lexington Avenue Line to Bowling Green, then it would use the Brooklyn Bridge to cross the East River into Brooklyn, where it would have stops at the following new stations in Brooklyn and Queens

Sands St (Brooklyn Bridge)

Adams St (Myrtle Avenue)

Jay St-Metrotech (Change for (A)(C)(F)(R)

Navy St (Myrtle Av)

Vanderbilt Av (Myrtle Av)

Washington Av (Myrtle Av)

Grand Av (Myrtle Av)

Moving on, there are also stops at

Greene Av (Grand Av)

Franklin Av (Lexington Av)

Nostrand Av (Lexington Av)

Tompkins Av (Lexington Av)

Marcus Garvey Blvd (Lexington Av)

Malcolm X Blvd (Lexington Av)

It would then run along an IRT Jamaica Line with transfers to the (J) and (Z) between Gates Av and Cypress Hills where it would terminate. Please disregard anything about Queens and Bowling Green.

Disregarding the Brooklyn Bridge thing, this still sounds pretty interesting. Is there a need for a Lexington Av route? I'm trying to remember, its the (G)(J)(Z) in the area right?

Disregarding the Brooklyn Bridge thing, this still sounds pretty interesting. Is there a need for a Lexington Av route? I'm trying to remember, its the (G)(J)(Z) in the area right?

I believe so, yes. Yet stupidly, there is no transfer. And also there is the (M)

It wouldn't work as you'd be severely delaying (4) and (5) service.

Were it at late nights only, it could work. The (5) shuttle wouldn't interfere at all. Only the (4) runs on Lexington Ave along with the (6). Plus like I said, if the Utica Ave extension ever becomes a thing, this will help bring late night New Lots service easily without extending the (3) shuttle.

Edited by Cone E Island

I'm sitting here laughing so hard that tears are running down my face. I thought that someone would catch on so I've been waiting patiently. For those who don't see what's been proposed I'll tell you a secret. Ever heard of the BMT Lexington Avenue El ?  Now go back and look at the proposed stops. Carry on.

I'm sitting here laughing so hard that tears are running down my face. I thought that someone would catch on so I've been waiting patiently. For those who don't see what's been proposed I'll tell you a secret. Ever heard of the BMT Lexington Avenue El ? Now go back and look at the proposed stops. Carry on.

I'm shocked no one has said anything about that as well. I thought of a restoration of that would do the (6) good as there is no decent connections from the Bronx to the area where the (G)(J)(M)(Z) are.

Kill the Rockaway park shuttle, replace it with the C and A running there.

That will allow A's to run express in queens.

C Now operates during late nights between 168st and WTC

This allows the A to run express during late nights.

It's physically impossible for the (A) to run express in Queens

I'm sitting here laughing so hard that tears are running down my face. I thought that someone would catch on so I've been waiting patiently. For those who don't see what's been proposed I'll tell you a secret. Ever heard of the BMT Lexington Avenue El ?  Now go back and look at the proposed stops. Carry on.

Oh I knew about the Lexington Avenue El even if I didn't mention it. I was asking if there was a need for it now.

Hopefully when they extend the (Q) / (T) to the Bronx (via 3rd Av), they should connect it with the (D) at Gun Hill Road. I propose Gun Hill Road should have an upper 3/4 track level for (D) / (T) service and a lower 3 track level for the (Q) to terminate at (in case of a reroute). The (D) / (T)  from there would go via Gun Hill Road to Co-Op City. (as well as making a connection to (2) / (5) trains at both Gun Hill Road stations)

Edited by Cone E Island

There is no way to get from Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall to the Brooklyn Bridge itself. That curve and ascent would be impossible...

since that is not viable, we could try extending the (Z) and having it terminate at Sands St rather than Broad St. during rush hours only the (Z) would run to Jamaica Center (and skip stop)but all other times it would run as a local and terminate at Cypress Hills or Malcolm X Blvd

since that is not viable, we could try extending the (Z) and having it terminate at Sands St rather than Broad St. during rush hours only the (Z) would run to Jamaica Center (and skip stop)but all other times it would run as a local and terminate at Cypress Hills or Malcolm X Blvd

The (Z) is not it's own line, it's nothing more than extra (J) trains.

C service should operate between WTC (E) and 168 st (A)(C)(1) during late nights

Exactly why? There's no purpose at all for late night  (C) service considering the (A) and (E) cover the entire route already. The reason why the (M) , (R) , (3) , and (5) trains run as shuttles is because they're the only local lines that have their own stations that separate from the express lines. (i.e Metropolitan Ave, Bay Ridge - 96 St, 148 St - Lenox Yard, Eastchester - Dyre Ave)

Edited by Cone E Island

Exactly why? There's no purpose at all for late night  (C) service considering the (A) and (E) cover the entire route already. The reason why the (M) , (R) , (3) , and (5) trains run as shuttles is because they're the only local lines that have their own stations that separate from the express lines. (i.e Metropolitan Ave, Bay Ridge - 96 St, 148 St - Lenox Yard, Eastchester - Dyre Ave)

The only change to the (C) that I could see happening, is a slight extension of service time to say 1:30 AM Friday and Saturday nights...

Select Bus services have given me a rather good idea on a few things that can be done for a better Subway.

These include:

207 St Crosstown Subway (would run along 207 St in Manhattan and Fordham Rd and Pelham Pkwy in the Bronx)

2 AV Subway (current plans, with addition of Whitehall St station connection to 1,R,W)

34 St Subway

(Would run from Chelsea Pier to 1 AV, then descend to 23 St/AV C)

Verrazano Narrows Crossing (create a BMT/IND Subway between Staten Island Mall and 86 St R station that uses the aforementioned bridge)

Restoration of (8) service on 3 AV Line in the Bronx

Nostrand Av Service Extension (Extend the Nostrand AV Line South to Knapp St and North to Marcy Av JMZ station)

125 St Crosstown Subway

(Would run from 116 St 1 station, ascend to 125 st and run along it in Manhattan, then go into Queens and run to LaGuardia Airport by way of Astoria Blvd)

86 St Subway (Would run along 86 St connecting all of its Subway stops, including the 2 AV Subway stop)

Bronx Queens Crosstown

(A BMT/IND Subway would run from Tremont AV 2,5 station along the Cross Bronx Expressway to Lafayette Av, where it would cross the Whitestone Bridge and run along Parsons Blvd and Main St in Queens, before eventually coming to the Queens Blvd Lind, where it would follow the E to Jamaica Center. This would also involve extending the Archer AV Line one stop to Merrick Blvd)

Utica Av Subway

(A Subway would run down Malcolm X Blvd/Utica Av between Kosciusko St J station and Av U)

LaGuardia Line

(Create an IRT Subway between 61 St 7 station and Laguardia Airport)

23 St Subway

(Create a Subway that would run the length of 23 St, then descend to 20 St/AV C)