Hello I need advice

debra304w

I didn't know about the seniority being factored into the overall test score. There can be arguments made for and against that , personally I don't like the idea. From before the time I took this job and even being on it I have always hated the concept of anybody getting anything at a job based on seniority , and that's one thing I don't like about union jobs , this being the second union job I've held. I've also worked as a supervisor in another field. I think the quality of your work should be what matters most , or your score on a test , etc. Still , I pay my dues every two weeks , and i like the job overall. Also the union jobs were the highest paying and best benefits , so I can't knock union jobs either , the seniority is just an aspect I don't like. Once I get some here in 20 years , I'll post back on here and let you know if I've changed my mind B)

I heard a lot of guys used to come to school car just for the 6 months of weekends off and off the road , don't know if it still holds true , but my guess would be most guys that come want the job and are serious about making it through these days.

I'll put it this way my class was 30 Student T/O's to the B Div. As of now only 18 are still Train Operators all that went back did it on thier own exept one. Most went back to C/R or Bus Operator while the Tower Operaters stayed as a T/O'S. I heard lots of Train Operator Pormotional would drop out at the end of training or after a few days on the road. Supervision didn't like the amount of people that were going back and even said the gaps will just have to be made up from the O/C List since they lose everything if they don't stay with it.

Also i want to say somthing to i want to apply in being a T/O but the questions are

Where do i go to apply?

What degree in education do i need to apply?

And

Im in high school Half way Can i still do it and how old you need to be ?

I live near pehlam bay At middletown rd

If anything ill PM my Cell Phone #

Also i want to say somthing to i want to apply in being a T/O but the questions are

Where do i go to apply?

the DCAS web site when the filing period opens in March, or you could use the link on the MTA page:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/compete.htm

You click the link on the name of the test "ie the word Train Operator" However you can't file early so keep that in mind, that's why there's no link yet but when filing opens it will be made into a link, so you need to go during the period specified to the right of the test to register.

What degree in education do i need to apply?

Right around, or on the first day of the filing period, DCAS will post something called an NOE - Notice of Examination. It will lay out everything you need for the position and when you need it. You will need at least a HS diploma to get T/O, probably some work experience (does not have to be transit related), and possibly may need college credit. This is anyone's guess at the present. You will be asked to read the NOE before you move to the next screen when you go and try to register so read it and make sure you'll have all of that otherwise your score will come back NOT ELIGIBLE but it won't let you register until it's shown you the NOE so take the time and read it..

And

Im in high school Half way Can i still do it and how old you need to be ?

Again, that depends on the NOE. I can use the C/R test because I applied for it and saw the NOE. For that test, all you needed was a HS diploma on your first day of work. So a 15 year old could have taken the test, and if they didn't get called for 3 1/2 years and they had their diploma by then, they'd be a young hire. But that depends on the requirements in the NOE whether that's possible for you or not

Thanks But dam im doing bad in school :/ and im 16 not even in 10th grade I got to try hard now to get there And like to apply again do i have to walk in to some mta yard or like i email the mta site and they will tell me the date and time to walk in.

I would not walk into an MTA Yard you be arrested. Just read the Notice of Exam when it comes out in March. If your not close to graduating HS I'm going to be real about it don't even apply for the Exam because you Will need a HS Diploma and at least 5 Years of FULL time work experance at time of Appointment so from March you have 5 years to make that requirment. College credits still up in the air but I don't think it will be a added requirment. If you do apply and don't make the requirments they still keep your filing fee which was $ 50 last time.

Eventually Once i do get H.S Done the 5 yrs of work is the thing i can work anywere just havent done yet maybe ill work in some store for the next 5Yrs or something. Can't Belive All this For that Well its my dream to be a T/O Since i was like 4yrs Old When i was little used To live by the (4) Line Every Time a redbird Came i always be like Yay The red train to my mom. Good Times well i got to get my H.S grades up if i Don't then i guess im never going to be what i always wanted to be. Also my mom don't even know im doing all this i have 100$ waiting till march shes not going to know none of this till i need her for the job.

Yea i always see a T/O walking to middletown rd walking at mayflower av like around 12-1pm In full gear with radio i know he lives around i swear i see him mostly every day i dont know what line he works.

Maybe Someone here can take me on a cab ride to see how its like when i can apply for T/o. Someone that lives near me besids that T/o i see around 12-1pm its just im afraid to stop and ask him but i don't see him no more i think.

Thanks But dam im doing bad in school :/ and im 16 not even in 10th grade I got to try hard now to get there And like to apply again do i have to walk in to some mta yard or like i email the mta site and they will tell me the date and time to walk in.

If you're talking about the test location they give you that info after you apply for the test when they send you your registration card in the mail. It's usually a nearby school...Not a subway yard.

Also I wouldn't count on a cab ride. Any T/O who gives you a cab ride can get in serious trouble...

Like what Subwayguy said a Cab ride is out of the question no one in there right mind would put thier job on the line like that.

If you pass everything and meet all requirments NYCT will train you real good so just wait. If you do anything crazy that gives you a police record they won't hire you because if you do get spotted in a T/O cab the T/O gets 30 days in the street or termination and you go to the nearest police station.

I took the last test that came out , October 2003. At that time you needed a HS Diploma or GED plus five years of full time verifiable work experience. No college required , city residency not required. It is unlikely they will add college requirements for many reasons , and since we are state employees not city employees they would have to change the residency requirement for all state employees which I don't see them doing. I posted a reply on another topic here and it popped up again so I will say it for a second time , and reiterate what Dave is saying too ... DO NOT TRESPASS ON MTA PROPERTY ... if you get a police record ESPECIALLY for anything related to the TA , even if you beat a conviction just an arrest can cause you problems getting hired and a conviction will KO you from working both from the MTA or any other railroad / subway , etc. ... And a cab ride is out of the question although we're happy to answer your questions here. If you're 16 and it's your dream to drive a train , as with anyone else your age , I'd advise reading a lot to build up vocabulary and reading comprehesion skills which will help you ace the open competitive test , doing your best to stay reasonably fit will help you avoid problems with the medical , and keep your record clean and avoid trouble. As soon as you can work full time , start. Do anything. McDonald's , a grocery store , whatever you can get at 17 , just keep a good working record there. If you start working full time at 17 and you get your HS diploma , you could take the next test if it's five years at time of appointment , or if it's 5 years at time of filing (I forget which it is) , you'll just wait one more test or get in somewhere else as cleaner/conductor , and get promoted. That's really all there is to it , and if you're serious about it those are the things you can do to make it in. Best of luck - :D

I took the last test that came out , October 2003. At that time you needed a HS Diploma or GED plus five years of full time verifiable work experience. No college required , city residency not required. It is unlikely they will add college requirements for many reasons , and since we are state employees not city employees they would have to change the residency requirement for all state employees which I don't see them doing. I posted a reply on another topic here and it popped up again so I will say it for a second time , and reiterate what Dave is saying too ... DO NOT TRESPASS ON MTA PROPERTY ... if you get a police record ESPECIALLY for anything related to the TA , even if you beat a conviction just an arrest can cause you problems getting hired and a conviction will KO you from working both from the MTA or any other railroad / subway , etc. ... And a cab ride is out of the question although we're happy to answer your questions here. If you're 16 and it's your dream to drive a train , as with anyone else your age , I'd advise reading a lot to build up vocabulary and reading comprehesion skills which will help you ace the open competitive test , doing your best to stay reasonably fit will help you avoid problems with the medical , and keep your record clean and avoid trouble. As soon as you can work full time , start. Do anything. McDonald's , a grocery store , whatever you can get at 17 , just keep a good working record there. If you start working full time at 17 and you get your HS diploma , you could take the next test if it's five years at time of appointment , or if it's 5 years at time of filing (I forget which it is) , you'll just wait one more test or get in somewhere else as cleaner/conductor , and get promoted. That's really all there is to it , and if you're serious about it those are the things you can do to make it in. Best of luck - :D

Yea, good advice...stick with it, there's nothing like a city job, I shoulda listened to my old man 25 years ago...better late than never.

Then ill try to get my GED as for working ill see in MCD or a store Ill use my christmas Money to get the application for march my mom wont even know im doing all this ill just keep it a secret :].

airnt u aleady in sk0ol m8?

Nature,

First things first: you must get your High School Diploma or GED. Without it, you will never, ever be hired by the TA. Whatever you're going to have to do, you'll have to buckle down and do it. Secondly, because of your lack of a work history and your age, you will need to set your immediate sights on a lower title within the TA which has less stringent requirements such as Conductor, Station Agent, Property Protection Agent, or Cleaner.

This will serve four purposes: for example, as a Conductor, you will gain a very good salary which currently tops out at over $25 per hour after three years of service. Secondly, it will start the clock on gaining your pension. This will allow you to retire at 55 years of age (whether you're hired by the TA, Corrections, Dept. of Education, etc.) In addition, you will gain the five years working experience needed to become a Train Operator as a Conductor on the trains themselves. Finally, current TA employees have first crack at any T/O positions that become available; people from "off the street" only get hired after current employees have already had their shot at it. Not only that, but the TA is planning to make it more difficult to become a T/O by mandating that the T/O candidate have two years (64 credits) of college at the time of appointment to the position.

You're a young guy and you've got the world in front of you, but you'll need to make the right decisions in order to succeed. Build up your future and don't put all of your eggs into one basket. If there is a TA test available, TAKE IT!!! Don't worry if it is only for Conductor or Station Agent and not for Train Operator. That would be like worrying about whether you're going to get a seat in the club, but you've yet to get past the bouncer. You can get more information about available civil service exams by going to: http://www.nyc.gov/dcas

Nature,

First things first: you must get your High School Diploma or GED. Without it, you will never, ever be hired by the TA. Whatever you're going to have to do, you'll have to buckle down and do it. Secondly, because of your lack of a work history and your age, you will need to set your immediate sights on a lower title within the TA which has less stringent requirements such as Conductor, Station Agent, Property Protection Agent, or Cleaner.

This will serve four purposes: for example, as a Conductor, you will gain a very good salary which currently tops out at over $25 per hour after three years of service. Secondly, it will start the clock on gaining your pension. This will allow you to retire at 55 years of age (whether you're hired by the TA, Corrections, Dept. of Education, etc.) In addition, you will gain the five years working experience needed to become a Train Operator as a Conductor on the trains themselves. Finally, current TA employees have first crack at any T/O positions that become available; people from "off the street" only get hired after current employees have already had their shot at it. Not only that, but the TA is planning to make it more difficult to become a T/O by mandating that the T/O candidate have two years (64 credits) of college at the time of appointment to the position.

You're a young guy and you've got the world in front of you, but you'll need to make the right decisions in order to succeed. Build up your future and don't put all of your eggs into one basket. If there is a TA test available, TAKE IT!!! Don't worry if it is only for Conductor or Station Agent and not for Train Operator. That would be like worrying about whether you're going to get a seat in the club, but you've yet to get past the bouncer. You can get more information about available civil service exams by going to: http://www.nyc.gov/dcas

ya what about clean up person? u need a ged/hs diploma LOL?

A GED is a program that you take to have a High School education equivalent, however if you decide to go to a college, many colleges may not accept it. So go to school and earn it so you can do good in life and have education.

Archived