Hello I need advice

debra304w

ya what about clean up person? u need a ged/hs diploma LOL?

Ummm, yes. Because you could be a cleaner for one year then wind up being a supervisor the next.

A GED is a program that you take to have a High School education equivalent, however if you decide to go to a college, many colleges may not accept it. So go to school and earn it so you can do good in life and have education.

When it comes to gaining a civil service position, it doesn't matter if your 64 credits were earned at LaGuardia Community College or at NYU. A CUNY school will accept a GED for entry, even into a four year school. I should know since that's the route I took.

Hey Zman ...

Doesn't matter to me much since I'm on the job already , but out of curiosity where did you hear the MTA is going to start with a college credit requirement for T/O? Is that your opinion or did you actually hear something about it? I can't see them doing that for a couple of reasons , but who knows what management has planned down the road ...

f*** that im doing C/R, and cant u be a Cleaner and the be C/R or T/O mate?

It is possible.

Hey Zman ...

Doesn't matter to me much since I'm on the job already , but out of curiosity where did you hear the MTA is going to start with a college credit requirement for T/O? Is that your opinion or did you actually hear something about it? I can't see them doing that for a couple of reasons , but who knows what management has planned down the road ...

As a TWU Representative, I've been hearing that the TA does indeed want to have a 2 year college requirement for the position. The reason being that the overall quality of the Train Operators coming from "off the street" has been downright dreadful.

And yes, I can see them doing that. If the TA installed a two year requirement, they would still get a boatload of applicants looking for the position. Right now there are new TA employees coming in with masters degrees because the job market is so bad right now.

I don't see that happening at all in the future, and as far as as now it's only a rumor.

That's what they said about becoming a cop. Now look.

As a TWU Representative, I've been hearing that the TA does indeed want to have a 2 year college requirement for the position. The reason being that the overall quality of the Train Operators coming from "off the street" has been downright dreadful.

Just out of curiosity because I hear this quite often, but what is so bad about the off the street T/O's? Most of the time I ask this I get told "they hit the road and it's like they've never seen a train before" but what exactly are they all doing wrong? Are they slow? Getting tripped running reds? Overrunning/underunning stations? Taking wrong lineups? Speeding/violating the rules? Unable to solve minor technical issues en route? Or just a combination of everything? Just wondering because I hear of this so much...

In all the time i've been riding the rails under NY, i'm pretty sure I was never on a train that overran/underran a station, went into emergency, broke down, or anything like that. Not to say it doesn't happen, but how common are those things when you look at the big picture?

In all the time i've been riding the rails under NY, i'm pretty sure I was never on a train that overran/underran a station, went into emergency, broke down, or anything like that. Not to say it doesn't happen, but how common are those things when you look at the big picture?

It's more common than you'd think though it's not very common, but supervision wants NO mistakes on the road.

For the record I've never been on a train that had to have a rescue train sent for it, but I've been on trains taken out of service, that broke down (in stations), trains that have dumped, trains that have taken wrong lineups etc so it does happen...

But im just wondering what exactly is so "bad" about the new T/O's coming off the street, obviously there are plenty of good ones coming out of schoolcar but a lot of employees been saying the same thing about the new classes as a whole so their must be some meat to that theory batman...

Dave works for NYCT like me, as far as your question Debra the test is simple and basic common sense. I learned the subway system when I was 11 years old after always visiting my uncle in Queens so you will have to know the landmarks and certain places.

I recently made my nephew apply for the test and got him the passbook it is pretty much a good guide.

http://www.passbooks.com/

I'm off the street. I heard the first class that came out a few years back was sent back into re-training due problems. I came off of OC test #2. There have been a few guys with problems , but I know most of the guys off the street do fine. I'll be on the road a year next month and I have a clean record. Same for most guys I went through school car with (with one notable exception!) ... I'd think the program has improved a lot between the first and second test groups. I went to college a year and have 30 credits , and I can't see that having a GED or a masters degree makes a difference in operating a train since it's a technical skill , and one that's taught from scratch since one can't get experience at this type of work anywhere outside the MTA or in the MTA at another title. They might put the requirement in to make the job harder to get if they get a lot of applicants. It was a disaster when the NYPD did it. The police scream they can't recruit because of the starting salary but that's BS. I took the last NYPD test they gave back in the early 90's before the college requirement started and something like 30thousand people took it. Then they put the college requirement in , didn't raise the salary or benefits and I think got 4 thousand on the next test and have had problems recruiting since , so they shot themselves in the foot there. Had they left it alone with HS or GED they'd have been fine. Being off the street I have to stand up for us as a group :P ... we waited in line behind the promotionals who went first and I think we're doing a great job overall .... PS since you're a union rep , see if you can find out if the MTA has enough cash in the budget next year to install some nice big flat panel HD TV's in the crew rooms ... and maybe add cup holders and leather interior to 160's ... B) ... get back to me on that. B)

PS since you're a union rep , see if you can find out if the MTA has enough cash in the budget next year to install some nice big flat panel HD TV's in the crew rooms ... and maybe add cup holders and leather interior to 160's ... B) ... get back to me on that. B)

I think the Coney/Stillwell crew room is as close as we're gonna get as far as a semi-modern TV goes :P

• 1 month later...

I'm extremely happy I discovered this site!!Please Help!!

I'm currently prepreing for the Dec.06 conductor exam and I had a few questions.

1 How many questions on the test?

2 How much time are we given?

3 What is the interview process like?

4 How helpful is the book?

5 What does the medical exam entail?

If anyone knows the answers or knows someone who does, please help. Any information will be greatly appreciated.I've been reading some posts and you guys know everything. THANK YOU and good luck to all test takers.

I'm extremely happy I discovered this site!!Please Help!!

I'm currently prepreing for the Dec.06 conductor exam and I had a few questions.

1 How many questions on the test?

2 How much time are we given?

3 What is the interview process like?

4 How helpful is the book?

5 What does the medical exam entail?

If anyone knows the answers or knows someone who does, please help. Any information will be greatly appreciated.I've been reading some posts and you guys know everything. THANK YOU and good luck to all test takers.

Welcome to the forums, please introduce yourself in the new members section:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

So here is the answers to your questions:

1. The question count on the test is unknown, only those who make the test know it, I'm pretty sure some (MTA) worker can tell you that from previous testing. Look around this section, there is a lot of them! :(

2. The time is also unknown, but I'm really sure they give you enough time to finish the test, it's not timed or anything...

3. Like any interview, when your list number is called you go down to the Livingstion St main bulding, you have an interview, if you pass that, then come medical exams and all following, you can also read the PDF file here:

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf

it has some more info regarding the requirements.

4. The book from http://www.passbooks.com is somewhat helpful, it is in a test form, I suggest you buy it, it does help, has some good comprehension questions in it from what I've heard.

5. Quote from the web I gave you with the PDF file:

Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Conductor. You will be examined to determine whether you can perform the essential functions of the position of Conductor. Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a

disability to enable him or her to take the examination, and /or to perform the essential functions of the job.

You should be in good shape, no alcohol, they have the drug screening test also! :D

I hope I have been somewhat helpful! :cool:

-PAUL

Archived