Hello I need advice

debra304w

Hello Everyone;

My name is Debra and I don't work for transit but I am taking the test for the conductor job in December and I hope that anyone that works that position will give me some advice about the position. Are there any books that will allow me to get some knowlege about the conductor's position. How about some of you guys that have just got the position, could you tell me what was your score and how long it took transit to get in touch with you? This would be helpful and also I would like to mention that I am working on my Bachelors of Science degree, so would any of my test taking skills would help? My major is Health Service Administration and I attend Lehman College. I will graduate in May of 2009. So if anybody would like to get in touch with me, please email me so that I may get some serious advice.

Hello Everyone;

My name is Debra and I don't work for transit but I am taking the test for the conductor job in December and I hope that anyone that works that position will give me some advice about the position. Are there any books that will allow me to get some knowlege about the conductor's position. How about some of you guys that have just got the position, could you tell me what was your score and how long it took transit to get in touch with you? This would be helpful and also I would like to mention that I am working on my Bachelors of Science degree, so would any of my test taking skills would help? My major is Health Service Administration and I attend Lehman College. I will graduate in May of 2009. So if anybody would like to get in touch with me, please email me so that I may get some serious advice.

There is a conductor on here, and some T/Os who use to be conductors. If you haven't yet, address your question to the Transit Career section, and read some of the questions from others who are asking the same question as you there. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145

Look for threads in this section, it really depends on time to receive your test scores and for you to get called, it can take many months (for least), or 2 years I would say, unfortunately the education you have does not help you with how fast they call you, it depends on your test score.

Also there is a series of passbooks that you can view which has a Conductor study book, look for more info in the Transit Careers Discussion Forum.

Good luck. :)

Hi , I'm a Train Operator who came in "off the street" , so I never was a conductor but maybe I can help a bit. The test for conductor , like train operator is primarily reading comprehension ... they want to see you can read and follow regulations ... an example of a question on the test :

The MTA has a policy that no alcohol is ever allowed on MTA property. Ever. Today is Joe's birthday and several co-workers toast him with a bottle of wine in the locker room at the terminal. Joe and his co-workers actions are ...

A) OK , because wine is not really hard liquor

:P OK , because it was his birthday

C) Not Ok , because alcohol is never allowed on MTA property

D) Not OK , because drinking is bad for you

Those are the types of questions you'll get. Also familiarize yourself with military time which is easy but there are few questions about that , and some basic math problems. You do not need to know anything at all about trains / transit / the MTA. They will train you and teach you all you need to know. Memorizing the subway map won't help you on the test , but knowing how to read a map will ... lol

From date of test to date of hire expect best case 2 years , worst case 3 1/2 years. You'll make annoucements , open and close the doors , answer questions , give directions , etc. Most people that take the job because it's something they want to do and not just because it was an available job seem to be satisfied with what they are doing. The MTA web site shows the pay scale , I think it goes from around $17 to $25 in 3 years. If you have a specific question ask it here and someone will probably answer it , and if I see it I'll ask a conductor for you and post back what they say. Good luck on the test , and on the job.[/

From date of test to date of hire expect best case 2 years , worst case 3 1/2 years. You'll make annoucements , open and close the doors , answer questions , give directions , etc. Most people that take the job because it's something they want to do and not just because it was an available job seem to be satisfied with what they are doing. The MTA web site shows the pay scale , I think it goes from around $17 to $25 in 3 years. If you have a specific question ask it here and someone will probably answer it , and if I see it I'll ask a conductor for you and post back what they say. Good luck on the test , and on the job.[/

Then I must of has the worst of the worst case. I took the T/O test in Oct. of 2003, and was hired in July of 2008. Nearly 5 years, but that was because of the Promo that was given at the same time. For buses it took 3.5 years, for me to get hired.......

Then I must of has the worst of the worst case. I took the T/O test in Oct. of 2003, and was hired in July of 2008. Nearly 5 years, but that was because of the Promo that was given at the same time. For buses it took 3.5 years, for me to get hired.......

Yeah, I remember when I took the combined Bus Operator/Conductor exam back in 1989. I scored an 88 which was good for list number 4001.:eek:

They called me for B/O after about 1½ years, but I had to turn it down for C/R as I hadn't had a drivers license yet. It took 4½ years to finally get called for C/R.

Well they don't HAVE to have a job for those 2-3 years as long as their parents support them (i.e. college, etc.) Just don't expect to be hired right away, especially since those looking to promote to C/R from another TA title will probably get first crack.

Don't worry though, not every promotional candidate will want to stick it out. I'd say, off the top of my head, 1 out of 4 go back to their prior title.

hello debra304w, i also applied for the c/r and this is my first job too, the C/r exam is on saturday Dec 6(dunno what time), its a multiple choice, i dunno if that same day is when they give u other exams like vision or sumin =\

The DCASters will send you some adminssion card 10 days before your exam, if its not sent 4 days before your exam, view the PDF below

anyways as backline said in page one, bye the Passbooks conductor, i have the T/o edition just need to get the c/r version.. If you need more information on the C/r check out this archive conductores from 2 weeks ago:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf

(note this is PDF and you need a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader (visit http://www.adobe.com for the free adobe 9 and later)

That tells u all the requirements and your duites as a C/R, just remember where it says "BY DAY OF APPOINTMENT" that means your are hired buy need a your HS Diplma or your GED.. I dunno what happens after that, train skool? :P

But it takes a few months to a year madam :D since they go by the highest score and they go one by one, not just a pack of people (correct me if im wrong )

After your 5 yrs expernce is done you can go for sumin higher like train operator (unless you havent completed 5 yrs them you can be stuck for another 5 yrs or so)

also watch out seeing that you finish mid 2009, if you get the higest score you might be called in early and if so its a good thing but a bad thing for college or schooling seeing that you need to do full time C/r and that can cause a problem for going to your edu

thz god im done with HS in Jan 2009 =]

Anyways if you got any question keep asking, everyone including I is really good at this and the NYCTF is a respectful place to be :D

Good luck!

Just to currect Motorman Mike taking the C/R exam you should look at the map and know your landmarks. I am a current Train Operator but started as a Conductor and did it for 5 Years. You will need to know some of what mike said but also like what is the closest train line to the New York Stock Exchange, Empire State Building , Bronx Zoo and I was even asked where is the Port Anthority Bus terminal located.

Also after 1 Year in title you can take promotions to other exams like Train Operator , Assistant Train Dispatcher and Tower Operator.

BTW to my Young People thats why to take the exam before you graduate HS. if you want to really start a transit career early.

Just to currect Motorman Mike taking the C/R exam you should look at the map and know your landmarks. I am a current Train Operator but started as a Conductor and did it for 5 Years. You will need to know some of what mike said but also like what is the closest train line to the New York Stock Exchange, Empire State Building , Bronx Zoo and I was even asked where is the Port Anthority Bus terminal located.

Also after 1 Year in title you can take promotions to other exams like Train Operator , Assistant Train Dispatcher and Tower Operator.

BTW to my Young People thats why to take the exam before you graduate HS. if you want to really start a transit career early.

yup did that B) dave, btw u a T/O in PA? seeing that it says that in your location mate

You're the man Dave ... I came off the open competitive test , so figured the T/O and Conductor tests were similiar. My list # was in the 320's and took 3 1/2 years to get called. With the economy tanking and cutbacks looming , may take some time this time around before they hire ... who knows. Again , to anyone taking the test , good luck.

Hi, i may not have an actual advice but i wanted to ask u a question...what are the requirements to take the test? i want to take one also. i been a transit freak since i was a little kid. i been knowing the subway lines since the (Q6) used to run up 6th Ave, the (K) used to run via 8 Ave, the (H) serving the Rockaways, the (C) running between 145 St and Bedford Park Av, the (D) used to run up Brighton Local and the (N) used to be a local. lol. but what are the requirements to take the (MTA) Test for conductors position?

Hey Dave ,

The T/O open competitive exam was very easy. I never picked up a book or studied a single day for it and I went in and got 69 of 70 right on the test. And almost everyone I went throught school car with got the same score and I'll bet we all got the same question wrong whatever it was because of how it was written ... lol ... that being said , school car was not easy and just because you can ace the written test doesn't mean you're going to breeze through school car. I remember learning how to charge up a train which by now is nothing but at the time we all looked at each other when the reality set in that there was more to the job than we thought with the same wide eyed expressions on our faces ... lol ... funny to remember but wasn't funny at the time ... I am still extra extra but probably will be picking this pick , scheduled to pick Oct. 31st , early am , so see what happens , I was just told the guys who just make the pick get stuck with OPTO extra which I DON'T want so hope to get RDO relief or stay extra extra ... that being said , they keep giving me (R) jobs consistently every Saturday , which for me is good living by 95st ... walk to and from work those days. Otherwise I would hate the R line. I haven't seen the (F) in a while. Been working the (R) / (N) and a lot of (M) jobs lately. Had my first "student" last week , a T/O of 11 yrs coming back from few months off and posting the 160 ...

LUIS ... The conductor exam filing just ended , so you're best bet may be to take the T/O exam. Good luck , I am guessing it's going to be quite a while before they give to conductor exam again. Good luck.

The T/O exam was easy I got 70 out of 70 but didn't get a 100% because of my senority as a C/R you only get 85% written and 15% is senority. School car was like a Vacation since I really didn't care if I made it or not since I could go back to my regular spot if I failed so it was 6 Months off the road with weekends off. Now I'm glad I did do my best instead of wasting space because C/R got to do more work then when I had the job. They have to make all kinds of security announcements and ask the T/O for a Line Up.

Archived