ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

Just now, Mikeyanthony23 said:

Update: I cleared my medical hold, but sadly the class was full like I figured….. they don’t have another class date yet… really hoping it’s not too far out, I don’t want my drug test expiring. 

If they have more people for pre-employment going Friday I’m sure there’s more to come shortly

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Godsfavorite said:

I see there are a lot more males than females on this forum. Are there any current female TO’s that can give their experience especially if you have kids?

While you’re waiting for a response on that, can we ask your list number? 

3 hours ago, Godsfavorite said:

I see there are a lot more males than females on this forum. Are there any current female TO’s that can give their experience especially if you have kids?

Two of my classmates have children. One actually gave birth during her second year and took unpaid leave.

I would definitely recommend to have lots of options for your childcare needs, and seek FMLA once you qualify if you have a child with any special health issues. It's a job where you'll have to be relatively flexible and have other options given the weird scheduling until you're able to pick a job and settle into a routine. In the case of the moms in my class, they had their parents and the child's father help out to paper over childcare issues. If you don't have that extensive support system, this job may not be the right choice for you.

6 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Two of my classmates have children. One actually gave birth during her second year and took unpaid leave.

I would definitely recommend to have lots of options for your childcare needs, and seek FMLA once you qualify if you have a child with any special health issues. It's a job where you'll have to be relatively flexible and have other options given the weird scheduling until you're able to pick a job and settle into a routine. In the case of the moms in my class, they had their parents and the child's father help out to paper over childcare issues. If you don't have that extensive support system, this job may not be the right choice for you.

Thank you for your feedback. I definitely have a great support system. I know everyone’s experience is different. Covid has allowed me the benefit of being home for my children while getting an income.  I will miss that part if I get in. But the benefits outweigh everything else.

Went in for preemployment today.

Kinda disappointed thought I'd get some information on the job. Just here for a drug test. Anyone know when the next class is after April 11? 

Also can anyone tell me more about XX list? Are days off different week to week? Or is that just once in a while that they change up? I understand sometimes that's come up, but for the most part when you start at a station do you generally finish at that same station? 

thanks a lot. 

List 39**

2 minutes ago, Amang1 said:

Kinda disappointed thought I'd get some information on the job. Just here for a drug test. Anyone know when the next class is after April 11? 

Also can anyone tell me more about XX list? Are days off different week to week? Or is that just once in a while that they change up? I understand sometimes that's come up, but for the most part when you start at a station do you generally finish at that same station? 

thanks a lot. 

List 39**

Congrats on pre employment. It’s just one step in the process.  Generally you’ll get to pick a tour (am/pm/midnight)  (no guarantee on that) and your shifts , reporting locations, and whatnot will all vary . Generally for about 3-4 years

2 minutes ago, Amang1 said:

thanks a lot. 

List 39**

As XX you're subject to tour changes and RDO changes each week, when you start at a particular station you might not always end at your starting location. This all depends on the job or some major delay happens on the road then you might end elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, StatenIslander82 said:

At the pre-employment stage I’m aware they want you to fill out a health questionnaire. What if someone were taking SSRI’s like lexapro? Is that disqualification? 

No, Im on Zoloft and I got cleared, I just think you may need a note from doctor, but most likely be put on medical hold until you get the documentation. 

Just got my email for pre-employment, i just got question for current train operator how physical is the job? Do you do any heavy lifting? or stand a lot? i've recently been diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and sometimes my joints hurt from time to time.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Just got my email for pre-employment, i just got question for current train operator how physical is the job? Do you do any heavy lifting? or stand a lot? i've recently been diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and sometimes my joints hurt from time to time.

Heavy lifting your school car bag, stand a lot no unless you're in the yard walking to your train or operating 2 handed equipment in the yard then you have to stand, once you leave the yard with 2 handed equipment you can sit down on the chair. School a lot of standing and walking around in the yards would be the only problem besides that you're in the classroom or training on a train.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

What’s your list number please ?  And so so so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.   You do have to stand, climb, hold a throttle for two plus hours, walk from one end of the train to the other multiple times but take advice from others on here

3 hours ago, STtoMTA said:

Congrats on pre employment. It’s just one step in the process.  Generally you’ll get to pick a tour (am/pm/midnight)  (no guarantee on that) and your shifts , reporting locations, and whatnot will all vary . Generally for about 3-4 years

Thanks a lot man much appreciated. I was in there with a train operator who actually told me there hiring so many people he had seniority shortly after training/school. He said he barely spent any time on the extra extra list. 

I already have a pretty good union job.  However the money in this blows my current position out the water so I'm conflicted. I'm just concerned about not having any set schedule for a few years and been getting a lot of unclear answers about extra extra list. some say your days off change once in a while some say they change every week. Some say it's not bad at all some say it's terrible lol