ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 minute ago, Chris8 said:

You aren't xl after xx..xl is a picked job. U can pick it if it's available when it's your turn, but by the time it gets to the end any xl available will usually be midnights or opto xl. The most likely jobs after xx are RDO relief with what's left of jobs nobody wanted.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, beanz said:

You aren't xl after xx..xl is a picked job. U can pick it if it's available when it's your turn, but by the time it gets to the end any xl available will usually be midnights or opto xl. The most likely jobs after xx are RDO relief with what's left of jobs nobody wanted.

Got it, must have heard it wrong from my TSS

8 hours ago, mimic101 said:

This is exactly what my TSS told me when I asked him about how scheduling works.  You basically get very little time off and when you do get time off, it is spent sleeping.  He said it's a "pay your dues" type situation.

You explained it really well!  What people need to understand is that all the time you miss with your kids and significant other, you DO NOT get that time back.  Missed graduations, birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas celebrations.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  You can always say "Oh I'll be there next year" or "Don't worry, next year will be different".  The reality is, it probably won't be and you're lying to your self.  The scheduling in this job is BRUTAL if you have kids and a family.  It's not until your third year that you even get 4 weeks off and will absolutely not get the ideal pick for vacation time. 

This is why when other posters say:

It's like there are quite a few reasons to walk away from a job like this that pays $40 an hour.  If you're single and not married, it's probably easier to do, but married with kids? It's ROUGH and you'll have to seriously think about the sacrifices that you're making because like I said before, you DO NOT get the time back.  Think about that very carefully because transit will eat your life away. 

I know all too well i was extra extra for five years, in a relationship and there was times...

Twenty One years later  and weathered those tough times..

Four more Years.. Bye Bye Me..:)

1 hour ago, beanz said:

OPTO XL is basically one step above XX.....

9 hours ago, beanz said:

You have to think of the long term benefits. Yes being xx is very rough, especially having a family. I have a special needs daughter and now a newborn and i was forced into PMs this pick, leaving my wife alone to fend for herself at night while I'm working. She understands it's a sacrifice and in a few more years I'll be able to pick a better schedule and we might be living in a house instead of this tiny apartment we in now.

No situation is going to be perfect right off the bat. Before this i had a 9 to 5 office job with weekends off that worked great for family life, but the pay was such that we could never even think about a home. What i made there in a whole year i make here in 6 months. 

So just have to talk it over with the loved one and see if it's a sacrifice you are both willing to make for the long term benefits.

If the partner is willing to see the long term picture then it shouldn't be a issue..

If one just wants to hang out with  "Friends" and they cant have that working down here then my Service Industry Comment applies...

Edited by RTOMan

20 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

2 guaranteed RDO’s a week, but as XX you will end up working more than 40 hours a week more often than not. I think the most I had during XX was something like 70-ish hours for one week. All those hours I worked was not optional OT. It was board time + long jobs overall.

I definitely had no social life the first year & a half.

Try having not much of a social life for five years like most of my classmates in 2001...

Anyone wondering at a commute from NJ. I am a bus op for njt on the 319 Line from PABT to Atlantic via Toms River. I pick up about 5 guys who live south of Toms River. 1 lives in Atlantic City, the other 4 live in Ocean County. If you show your ID we don’t charge you. One had washes the other however njt we don’t get the same treatment in the subway most of the time. Your only issue is if the bus breaks down. So that’s when driving becomes important depending on your preference. A lot of guys live along the 139 Line between Old Bridge and Lakewood. 

There’s a MTA bus op who lives in Cumberland County, NJ. I seen him last week going home. 

56 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Try having not much of a social life for five years like most of my classmates in 2001...

Yeah, I’m not discounting your hardship during XX. It’s better now, especially after you gain some seniority in XX. 

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Crew Office is more accommodating as well which is good..

My gf they kept her at Utica, NLots, or flatbush. She lives on boro park. Even if she caught a job at Dyre well I’d pick her up but what I’m trying to say is they made sure she signed in at one of those 3 terminals. Picking her up wise if she ended in the Bronx I’d pick her up, Wakefield I hated driving there I’d send her an Uber. Lol I mean I was fair, Dyre, 242nd, parkchester, and woodlawn I had no issue, but it was something about Wakefield that drove me crazy. I never drove to main st she was close enough to the N that she would get home in a good time. Very rarely she caught jobs at Main st or corona yard. Out of 3yrs I’d say she did maybe 5x. Same with the 1 she hardly went to 242nd. 

Now she finally has a job and she starts and finishes at flatbush.

Key here is do the job don’t whine, don’t say you hate this and that. Your xx you don’t have a choice. Who cares what the shithouse lawyers(loud mouths in crew rooms) says, when your new everyone knows the rules. However make a few friends, there are good ones, don’t be labeled at as rat because your quiet. 

if you get a 3 trip a put in and layup on the 3 at nlots(lots of them) suck it up. I don’t work here but I’d be in the A Div, less reporting locations that alone would be my reason for choosing. 

18 hours ago, dincena said:

Does it get better/easier once you build some seniority and are no longer XX?

FWIW, from an A division perspective, I've seen some people get jerked around, while others moved up the XX list and started seeing "good" jobs and Sunday/Saturday off. So it does get better, for most people. As beanz noted, the people with the lowest picked jobs can sometimes look on at their friends who are still XX with envy. On the other hand, a picked job with steady days off is better than hoping that they didn't change your RDOs for that one time that you *definitely* needed that day off.

9 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

My gf they kept her at Utica, NLots, or flatbush. She lives on boro park. Even if she caught a job at Dyre well I’d pick her up but what I’m trying to say is they made sure she signed in at one of those 3 terminals. Picking her up wise if she ended in the Bronx I’d pick her up, Wakefield I hated driving there I’d send her an Uber. Lol I mean I was fair, Dyre, 242nd, parkchester, and woodlawn I had no issue, but it was something about Wakefield that drove me crazy. I never drove to main st she was close enough to the N that she would get home in a good time. Very rarely she caught jobs at Main st or corona yard. Out of 3yrs I’d say she did maybe 5x. Same with the 1 she hardly went to 242nd. 

Now she finally has a job and she starts and finishes at flatbush.

Key here is do the job don’t whine, don’t say you hate this and that. Your xx you don’t have a choice. Who cares what the shithouse lawyers(loud mouths in crew rooms) says, when your new everyone knows the rules. However make a few friends, there are good ones, don’t be labeled at as rat because your quiet. 

if you get a 3 trip a put in and layup on the 3 at nlots(lots of them) suck it up. I don’t work here but I’d be in the A Div, less reporting locations that alone would be my reason for choosing. 

I've heard rumours of employees living in Delaware, so I'm not surprised at the Cumberland County, NJ guy or the coastal South Jersey types. Some guys apply from down there, others find their dream homes and make the commute work for them.

As for your girlfriend's experiences with the crew office, I think the A division crew office takes that into account sometimes. I live in out Long Island, and they kept me at Utica, New Lots, Pelham, Flatbush, or Main Street. I saw Pelham less and less with time went on, and Flatbush and Main Street more. It helps that the Brooklyn end of the network and the 7 are senior lines, so there were plenty of jobs to available to fill.

As for the job itself, there are days where I'm stressed out and pissed at the road blowing up and killing my breaks. On the other hand, it's not like every other job out there is stress free. The job definitely isn't for everybody, but it's certainly a good opportunity for the right people. The stories from the senior guys make it clear that if you push yourself, it can be transformational for your family. Schoolcar and early XX are rough, but once you have your routine established and the vacation days kick in, it can become better.

7 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

I've heard rumours of employees living in Delaware, so I'm not surprised at the Cumberland County, NJ guy or the coastal South Jersey types. Some guys apply from down there, others find their dream homes and make the commute work for them.

As for your girlfriend's experiences with the crew office, I think the A division crew office takes that into account sometimes. I live in out Long Island, and they kept me at Utica, New Lots, Pelham, Flatbush, or Main Street. I saw Pelham less and less with time went on, and Flatbush and Main Street more. It helps that the Brooklyn end of the network and the 7 are senior lines, so there were plenty of jobs to available to fill.

As for the job itself, there are days where I'm stressed out and pissed at the road blowing up and killing my breaks. On the other hand, it's not like every other job out there is stress free. The job definitely isn't for everybody, but it's certainly a good opportunity for the right people. The stories from the senior guys make it clear that if you push yourself, it can be transformational for your family. Schoolcar and early XX are rough, but once you have your routine established and the vacation days kick in, it can become better.

Facts! One of the reasons I didn’t take this test because I didn’t want to start over from the bottom again, i get the days off I want, and time I want to start and finish. So that’s how me and her work, it was easy for me to pick my days off according to hers when she was finally able to pick, in the beginning she kept saying the relationship wasn’t going to work and l always said patient and remember I can get my days, and as long as that happens it’ll be ok. I make sure I take her to work when I can I pay for her Uber. Trust me as a bus op I know how you guys feel, everyone in transportation who works out in the field we all stress or is stressed, it’s not easy. 

10 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

JERSEY SHORE!!! 
UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ !!!!

Good afternoon all, not sure if any of you current posters were in Coney Island yard today but I seen 2 classes I believe taking their practical, good luck! Just wanted to also stop by, everyone must really be careful what you post on here, this is to that poster who said they had the signal exam. Clearly that wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but after that many others chimed in stating school car superintendent caught wind of all this. THEN a random user starts following me and says can I send them the exam…smh. I’m like I don’t have that and I never said I did. Not sure if it’s really a new hire or one of the square transit people trying to trap me lol bad try…

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

Good afternoon all, not sure if any of you current posters were in Coney Island yard today but I seen 2 classes I believe taking their practical, good luck! Just wanted to also stop by, everyone must really be careful what you post on here, this is to that poster who said they had the signal exam. Clearly that wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but after that many others chimed in stating school car superintendent caught wind of all this. THEN a random user starts following me and says can I send them the exam…smh. I’m like I don’t have that and I never said I did. Not sure if it’s really a new hire or one of the square transit people trying to trap me lol bad try…

Admiral Ackbar's Voice:  IT's A TRAPPP!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

Admiral Ackbar's Voice:  IT's A TRAPPP!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I already know lol, my thing is these people really don’t know how a message board or forum works. Like read first, because you can clearly tell I wasn’t the one who said I had the exam I clearly responded to the message just like everyone else. Smh but it’s cool I’m not shocked typical transit behavior. 

On 7/2/2022 at 12:55 PM, Imhim said:

Yep it was a set up...

We are our own worse enemy even as a rookie in Schoolcar as that poster babbled about the Test...

@JPkim1130 this the conversations I like to discuss. Everyone need to just do things the right way than there wouldn’t be a problem. Anyways idk. I’m number 47** waiting for medical email. I wanna know since it ain’t. July class according to forums than is there an August class ? September as well ? 

3 hours ago, JPkim1130 said:

Anybody recently received email for pre employment? #49xx still waiting for email to come for pre employment.

I thought it was only me..😂😂😂seems like everyone forgot the reason why we all here!😂😂😂