Select Bus Service Coming To M79 In 2017

Via Garibaldi 8

I read this pretty good article on perhaps why the MTA takes the defensive tone it does when it gets confronted with questions like that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with them either.

It's actually an EXCELLENT article, and I agree with him 100%.  I've been saying a lot of things that he states for years on this site. For example, he notes that not all areas are suitable for rail service (definitely true).  That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any expansion with rail service, but sometimes bus service makes more sense, and if done properly can be quite effective, not to mention cost friendly.  The question for the (MTA) is how much do they want to make bus service work in the city?  Even with SBS, I think that you have to have changes to the following to see a turnaround:

-Signal priority

-Enforcement of bus lanes

-Cooperation with the DOT on how to deal with areas that are constantly congested (they've done that in a few areas already where only buses can turn, etc.)

-Quicker boarding and payment for ALL buses. I don't see why SBS should only get this feature.  Metrocards are just a defunct way for paying.  It takes too long, and sadly, there are still too many people that don't know how to use one properly after all of this time (or they feign ignorance so they can get a free ride).

this SBS thing sucks.  Now every artic route will only use the low floor buses which suck like hell!

Keep the older high floor artics

What is so great about those high floor buses?  From what I experience, they are filthy, AC stinks and there is nowhere to stand (I refuse to sit and prefer to stand given how dirty and worn out those cloth seats are).  The lower floor buses are better.  The AC isn't great on those Xcelsiors, but the NOVAs are decent and have a place where you can stand out of the way.

Congratulations to the M79 for becoming a SBS soon. However sometimes I don't like how Manhattan gets all the attention and resources while we have poorer transportation in the outer boroughs. I'm not saying that the M79 doesn't need SBS but there are tons of routes outside of Manhattan that could sure use some type of improvement before the M79.

Nope, the Q113 was first in 2007. On occasion, they popped up on the Q111

I remember that I just thought you meant when the depots actually received the artic buses to convert lines. If I remember correctly BP only had 1 or 2 D60HF's.

Congratulations to the M79 for becoming a SBS soon. However sometimes I don't like how Manhattan gets all the attention and resources while we have poorer transportation in the outer boroughs. I'm not saying that the M79 doesn't need SBS but there are tons of routes outside of Manhattan that could sure use some type of improvement before the M79.

I remember that I just thought you meant when the depots actually received the artic buses to convert lines. If I remember correctly BP only had 1 or 2 D60HF's.

BP had 5347-5351 for a little bit before sent back to NYCT.

• 5 months later...

Well since CS is sending some LFSA to MQ, I looked to see if the M79 sbs would start soon and.........

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170209/upper-east-side/m79-select-bus-service-upper-east-side-79th-street

If that's the case, they'd better get moving.  I've been watching the progress on those SBS machines on the Upper West Side, and they aren't even ready yet. In fact I haven't seen one stop yet where the full set up was in place.

Archived