R160 FIND creator project

This here is a project I've been working on for a few days now. This is an R160 FIND sign creator crafted from Visual Basics 2010 express, and allows anyone to program any IND/BMT route to anywhere they want(even if its hoboken) The routes range from  (A)  to  (Z) , and also features the   (V) ,  (H) , and (K) trains. Although i like this project now, i think that it's lacking a few details that the actual FIND system has, which i cannot add due to VB2010 express not being able to those things and my low knowledge of the software since i can just now learning about it. Once this is complete, i want to post this on a downloading website to allow others to do the same and have fun. 

Here are a few previews of the application:

17637105_730737320439716_554554316465474

Close

17434492_730737293773052_69669544327912117636783_730737290439719_617200792250542

Okay. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about making an R32/R42 sign simulator, but it won't have the "rolling" animation to it. The R62/142/143/188 strip map may also be a little challenging because of the fact that i cannot tilt the textbox's to make it look like actual signs, similar to the R160 FIND creator with the destinations

I'm thinking about making an R32/R42 sign simulator, but it won't have the "rolling" animation to it. The R62/142/143/188 strip map may also be a little challenging because of the fact that i cannot tilt the textbox's to make it look like actual signs, similar to the R160 FIND creator with the destinations

Maybe the NTT will but the 62 is very similar to other SMEEs

Update 4/3/17

The R160 FIND has had a few minor changes. Here is a list of them:

>The "WILL NOT STOP" feature was removed.

>Route bullets  (JFK) and the orange  (Q)  was added

>2 more station signs were added

>The route bullet was slightly moved to the right like an R160

>Text in the top right corner now says "This was made by Kahlel Robinson(Zach Transit)

Once fully completed it will go public as soon as i find a platform to upload it to. Here are a few previews:

17632122_732246450288803_134476012868071

17758480_732246453622136_703469717529297

If you would like me to make a sign for you, please be sure to message me  :D

~Zach

Edited by Zachary Transit

Someone needs a primer on UX design.

Cut him some slack... it's a Visual Basic program. Nothing in VB is supposed to look pretty

He's just a beginner... even Shakespeare had to learn the alphabet. As a software engineer myself, I'm sure that as he gets more experienced, he'll be able to rewrite the entire thing using Java, C++, C# or whatever and it'll look much nicer. For now, as long as he's learning something, it's all good. 

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Cut him some slack... it's a Visual Basic program. Nothing in VB is supposed to look pretty

He's just a beginner... even Shakespeare had to learn the alphabet. As a software engineer myself, I'm sure that as he gets more experienced, he'll be able to rewrite the entire thing using Java, C++, C# or whatever and it'll look much nicer. For now, as long as he's learning something, it's all good. 

UX has less to do with programming language and more to do with the placement of elements. It’s sort of blurring the definition between programmer and graphics designer.

UX has less to do with programming language and more to do with the placement of elements. It’s sort of blurring the definition between programmer and graphics designer.

You're right on that front, but asking someone to make something pretty using Visual Basic is akin to telling an artist that they can only use Microsoft Paint. 

Other languages such as Java (JavaFX, Swing), C++ (MFC) and C# (Windows Forms) have libraries more suited towards actual GUI development compared to what is available in Visual Basic. At this stage, he should be more concerned about learning something from his personal projects instead of trying to bite off more than he can chew in order to make some fancy schmancy UI. 

You're right on that front, but asking someone to make something pretty using Visual Basic is akin to telling an artist that they can only use Microsoft Paint. 

Other languages such as Java (JavaFX, Swing), C++ (MFC) and C# (Windows Forms) have libraries more suited towards actual GUI development compared to what is available in Visual Basic. At this stage, he should be more concerned about learning something from his personal projects instead of trying to bite off more than he can chew in order to make some fancy schmancy UI. 

Accurate.

A major part of UX is asking yourself can the user accomplish their goal with what I'm creating? True UI make's it easier and clearer to get to the goal. It's a good start it'll only get better from here. Good Job Zach!

No offense, but your previous post came across as a bit rude. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but the context of that post could easily be interpreted as "This looks like crap because it was made in an inferior program."

Edited by Lance

• 2 weeks later...

Update 4/15/17

The R160 FIND creator is complete, to download it, click this link below. If any problems, please be sure to tell me.

https://vschsdorg-my.sharepoint.com/personal/robinsok_vschsd_org/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0542535ab3d5846028004032b1414188c&authkey=Ac1lipj_uHD3Dww0dnm0RKI

Update 4/15/17

The R160 FIND creator is complete, to download it, click this link below. If any problems, please be sure to tell me.

https://vschsdorg-my.sharepoint.com/personal/robinsok_vschsd_org/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0542535ab3d5846028004032b1414188c&authkey=Ac1lipj_uHD3Dww0dnm0RKI

How can you do more than 5 stops at a time?

As soon as it's 100% complete. I still wanna add some things to it, after that i'll make it public for all to see. :D

Tremendous work. I'm sure you could create a better system than the mta has. They've never really tapped into their tech fully.

Suburbs not only have better use of TSP, but use of FIND-like tech on buses. NJ, CT & NICE are the best implementations I've seen. They even back ported to their clunkers and it still looks good.

By now, they've got new buses though.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.0.2 is now ready. Here are a few updates:

• 2 more signs were added
  • An Update button is now present. Push the button to update the signs
  • The "Listen to Train Crew" sign is now available

Here's the Link:

https://vschsdorg-my.sharepoint.com/personal/robinsok_vschsd_org/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=07a7db2d75a5f48ab8db23e90d94a7d31&authkey=Ab9A1I2YWzFCVgnim1RBSrY

I also have 2 new projects coming soon. When ready i might publish both