Happy anniversary to the R32s!

R68OnBroadway

I'll share some of my favourite R32 pics. I'd like to visit New York again one day, but that seems off the table for the foreseeable future so I doubt I'll get to ride an R32 outside of a museum train again, but fortunately I do have some photos.

14479857928_b7382c39f6.jpgMTA Subway 3471 - 01 by Andrew P., on Flickr

14664199684_c2d971fd67.jpgMTA Subway 3658 - 01 by Andrew P., on Flickr

10247375575_8cb8be4081.jpgMTA Subway 3430 - 01 by Andrew P., on Flickr

14480027607_8f923f776c.jpgMTA Subway 3664 - 01 by Andrew P., on Flickr

10247474733_c8feb70bbb.jpgMTA Subway 3891 - 01 by Andrew P., on Flickr

Mechanically they are eh, but structural they perform well. Just because they are loud or vibrate does not mean that they will fall apart.

you do realize their mileage breakdown threshold is very narrow (32,000) compared to more modern cars (~160,000) right? 

They are quite the legend in terms of engineering, but their era has long passed. 

The only thing keeping them here are Bombardier's delays. I found it hard to believe that 6K cars cover the entire system. That must be painstaking to keep up with a surge in ridership.

you do realize their mileage breakdown threshold is very narrow (32,000) compared to more modern cars (~160,000) right? 

They are quite the legend in terms of engineering, but their era has long passed. 

The only thing keeping them here are Bombardier's delays. I found it hard to believe that 6K cars cover the entire system. That must be painstaking to keep up with a surge in ridership.

I do agree with that their era has passed, unlike others (cough cough some butthurt foamers), but I still celebrate them being service for nostalgic purposes. I'm pretty sure though that they could bring the MDBF up to 57,000 again if the MTA changed its maintenance policy to take some decent care of cars that are close to retirement. With the older SMEEs they could just take them up to 207th because by then there were production cars coming in on a weekly basis, but here they made the dumb mistake of just letting them rot while testing didn't even start or had just started. I just hope that they actually built the R179 to work well underground and not be just some flashy Tommorowland subway car, as the R143s have already dropped below the R46s.

(http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/newer-mta-trains-beating-performance-starting-lag-article-1.3184932)

I do agree with that their era has passed, unlike others (cough cough some butthurt foamers), but I still celebrate them being service for nostalgic purposes.

I feel that the R32s, if they are retired, can be reconverted to a form of Low-V that has its own electrical supply, which can be used to assist stalled trains, shuttle people to medical centers, properly remove, cool or store dead bodies, or allow interventions on stranded trains.

You don't need much mileage for that.

The MTA finally admitted it...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170817/TRANSPORTATION/170819897

Archived