Subway expansion

ABOGbrooklyn

Hi guys! I created my own map using a website to create a future of the NYC Subway. Just want to know what you guys think. (Because the website limits me at some points it may look like the line is going thru houses but its really meant to go thru the avenues) To start the new (H) line will use the existing LIRR right of way in Brooklyn and Queens until it hits Astoria where it will be tunneled thru 26th Avenue/Newtown Avenue and 9th Street and continue up Randalls Island to Port Morris where it will be elevated all the way up until Fordham Rd. In the Bronx the  train will go either elevated above the (T) similar to the (F) & (Q) in Coney Island or tunneled and ground level thru Industrial Hunts Point and back in the tunnel until Throggs Neck. Extending the (A) up Independence Ave is more of a dream to have one train connect all four boroughs but I feel it will help Riverdale better than the (1) train today. The (Q) will extend to Harlem to connect with the trains so upper manhattan can finally have its cross town subway it needs for better access to the east side and the bronx. The (N) will extend to Laguardia Airport via elevated and touch a bit of Con Edison plant to stay away from NIMBY Ditmars people complaining. The new ( 8 ) line will be extended thru Willets Point and then tunneled to College Point and Whitestone (Similar to the old proposed  train spur.) The (7) will be extended up Roosevelt Ave and then thru Crocheron Ave/35th Ave to Bayside. The (R) will be extended thru Jamaica Yard to and tunneled up Utopia Pkwy to St Johns U and Fresh Meadows. The (F) will be expanded to Bellerose and the (E) will be tunneled up Merrick Blvd to Laurelton. In Brooklyn the  (5) will be extended to Voorhies Ave in Sheepshead Bay and the (2) to Kings Hwy. The (4) will go first to Rochester Avenue then down E New York Ave and back onto Utica and continue to Mill Basin Kings Plaza. Last but not least proposed expansion of the (L) elevated up Flatlands Avenue to Kings Hwy meeting with the (2) & (5) trains. Also finally a connection of the (3) & (L) in Brownsville but with the new (H) train.

Here is the link: http://app.enmodal.co/?id=867f224c03b8367d    It might be hard to view on mobile so if you can look on a computer or try desktop mode.

Let me know what you guys think!

I actually quite like this, there's nothing too crazy here. I'd note you don't actually seem to connect the (N) to LGA - the new airport will be located roughly where the loop sticking out from the highway is. I am not sure that this alignment of the (7) branch (perhaps (8) ?) would be feasible. Also note the (T) to Bronx would not be extended from 125/Lex but from 116/2. I would send it to Hunts Point Ave via 149/3 and your "Boston Road", vs paralleling the (6) , but that's very minor. I also think your (A) extension is a bit silly but not doing anyone any harm.

6 hours ago, quadcorder said:

I actually quite like this, there's nothing too crazy here. I'd note you don't actually seem to connect the (N) to LGA - the new airport will be located roughly where the loop sticking out from the highway is. I am not sure that this alignment of the (7) branch (perhaps (8) ?) would be feasible. Also note the (T) to Bronx would not be extended from 125/Lex but from 116/2. I would send it to Hunts Point Ave via 149/3 and your "Boston Road", vs paralleling the (6) , but that's very minor. I also think your (A) extension is a bit silly but not doing anyone any harm.

The problem with actually connecting the (N) to LGA is the obstruction of the GCP. The line would have to end at either Ditmars Blvd or 23rd Ave and it still wouldn't actually be close to the airport. Unless you have a better suggestion on the matter, since i'm not too familiar with the area? I think the (8) branch of the (7) would be fairly easy to build since Willetts Point is not populated by many businesses or residencies, I think it would be useful and would further develop the area just like how Manhattans West Side (Hudson Yards) is developing because of the (7) extension. Since College Pt is a waterfront neighborhood, there would be potential for development but maybe extending it to Whitestone wouldn't be necessary? About the (T) leaving from 116th makes sense, I fixed it, and making it go down 149th St is probably a better option, I will revise that. The (A) is more of a dream if anything, I know its not really realistic, but would be cool if we had one train connect all four boroughs. 

7 hours ago, quadcorder said:

http://app.enmodal.co/?id=823ff4edc3411984

Here is the new edit, let me know what you think I can fix about the (N) to LGA since I'm not too familiar with the area, and I fixed the (T) line and made it go down 149 and then in Soundview I revised it to go down Lafayette Ave since it made more sense and would flow easily.

12 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Hi guys! I created my own map using a website to create a future of the NYC Subway. Just want to know what you guys think. (Because the website limits me at some points it may look like the line is going thru houses but its really meant to go thru the avenues) To start the new (H) line will use the existing LIRR right of way in Brooklyn and Queens until it hits Astoria where it will be tunneled thru 26th Avenue/Newtown Avenue and 9th Street and continue up Randalls Island to Port Morris where it will be elevated all the way up until Fordham Rd. In the Bronx the  train will go either elevated above the (T) similar to the (F) & (Q) in Coney Island or tunneled and ground level thru Industrial Hunts Point and back in the tunnel until Throggs Neck. Extending the (A) up Independence Ave is more of a dream to have one train connect all four boroughs but I feel it will help Riverdale better than the (1) train today. The (Q) will extend to Harlem to connect with the trains so upper manhattan can finally have its cross town subway it needs for better access to the east side and the bronx. The (N) will extend to Laguardia Airport via elevated and touch a bit of Con Edison plant to stay away from NIMBY Ditmars people complaining. The new ( 8 ) line will be extended thru Willets Point and then tunneled to College Point and Whitestone (Similar to the old proposed  train spur.) The (7) will be extended up Roosevelt Ave and then thru Crocheron Ave/35th Ave to Bayside. The (R) will be extended thru Jamaica Yard to and tunneled up Utopia Pkwy to St Johns U and Fresh Meadows. The (F) will be expanded to Bellerose and the (E) will be tunneled up Merrick Blvd to Laurelton. In Brooklyn the  (5) will be extended to Voorhies Ave in Sheepshead Bay and the (2) to Kings Hwy. The (4) will go first to Rochester Avenue then down E New York Ave and back onto Utica and continue to Mill Basin Kings Plaza. Last but not least proposed expansion of the (L) elevated up Flatlands Avenue to Kings Hwy meeting with the (2) & (5) trains. Also finally a connection of the (3) & (L) in Brownsville but with the new (H) train.

Here is the link: http://app.enmodal.co/?id=867f224c03b8367d    It might be hard to view on mobile so if you can look on a computer or try desktop mode.

Let me know what you guys think!

You use enmodal.co too??

Nice, I do too

2 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

You use enmodal.co too??

Nice, I do too

Nice! I agree! It wont be easy but there are so many underserved neighborhoods that need subway/elevated lines throughout the boroughs, it has been nearly a century since any new expansions in the boroughs besides the (F) in LIC which I don't count as a true expansion.

19 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

Extend the (J) to Hollis. 

I would extend the (J) to Belmont Park (via Jamaica Avenue and Francis Lewis Boulevard and Hempstead Avenue) with the idea of making Belmont a year-round park-and-ride facility, perhaps with a small yard on the backstretch that can double as a barebones station on big race days. 

7 hours ago, dkpintar said:

is  app.enmodal  difficult to use??   I've done the registration but I can't see anything.

I am such a luddite at times . . . .

It's fairly easy to use, click on your email and then you'll see the place to make a map

On 11/4/2017 at 5:14 PM, D to 96 St said:

I have a few suggestions for your map. 

The (A) train should be on the HHP instead of Independence Av and it should run all the way to the border with Yonkers.

The (D) should be extended to Eastchester-Dyre Av to serve Co-op City.

The (E) to Laurelton should run on the LIRR Atlantic Branch from Jamaica to Springfield Blvd, not using Merrick Blvd. 

The (F) could be extended further to Langdale St or Jamaica Av-Little Neck Pkwy.

The (G) should be extended to Forest Hills-71 Av.

Rename the (H) line to the Triboro RX. And in doing so, terminate it at 161 St-Yankee Stadium. 

Extend the (J) to Hollis. 

Extend the (L) to College Point-20 Av via a new 10 Av/86 St crosstown into Queens, then along Northern Blvd.

You didn't put in a VERY IMPORTANT PROJECT. Extend the (M) train to Rockaway Park-Beach 116 St by reactivating the RBB! 

Swap the (N) and (R) as the latter can now use a yard on ConEd land at 19 Ave. Also the Union Tpke subway could be extended further east to Lake Success-Lakeview Rd. 

Extend the (Q) to Broadway-125 St for a connection to the (1)  train. 

Extend the (S) to Bedford-Nostrand Avs and eliminate the Rock Park (S) as the latter will be replaced by the (M)

(T) service should run to 3 Av as your (H) denies them a one-seat ride to Manhattan. 

I fully agree with a line to Throgs Neck, however that line should be a SAS (P). 

A SAS (V) should run via 63 St for a QB bypass to 179 St. 

The (W) should be extended to Bay Pkwy on the (D) line. 

(2) service should go with the (5) to Voorhies Av as terminating trains at Flatbush can delay trains due to an inefficent setup.

(3) trains should go to Utica instead of the (4), which would replace it on the New Lots Line. 

Your (8) train should turn to Whitestone on 154 St. 

Overall, this is a good map. 

I agree to some extent but some seem a bit unrealistic due to the circumstances, like the (A) on Henry Hudson Pkwy would be too costly and would shut down the Pkwy for way too long so in substitution to that I extended the (1) to North Riverdale instead.

I extended the (Q) to the (1) . My original reasons on not doing that is because I thought the main reason the (1) was elevated in the first place was because the rock in the Earth was too thick but I figured with today's tech, it's possible.

I extended the (D) to Pelham Plwy, but this might be a bit unrealistic because I'm assuming that the (D) past Norwood extends to the park but if it isnt, It would be very hard to make it go 90 degrees up one of the Avenues and connect to Gun Hill Rd.

I'm not a fan of extending the (L) to 10th Ave & then to Queens. I feel it would be a bit silly having it go around in a half circle.

I extended the (F) to Floral Park Langdale Ave and didn't extend the (R) further up Union Tpke because it would be very close and parallel to the (F)

I don't think the (E) should share LIRR ROW since it would create delays for the Hempstead and Long Beach/Rockaway lines unless you had a different idea maybe you means under the LIRR ROW?

I did add a new (K) line to go to Rockaway Park via the Queens abandoned LIRR tracks and didn't make the (M) that line since like the (L) would be in a weird almost 360° line. I extended the (G) to 71 Av possibly connecting to the (F) to Floral Park or the (R) to Union Tpke.

I edited some of the stops on the new (8) line and extended it to 150th St Whitestone.

And changed the (L) to go down Rockaway Pkwy via elevated so it wouldn't be redundant with the Triboro RX or (H) train

I extended the (2) down to Voorhies and extended the (S) Franklin Ave to connect with the (G) at Bedford Nostrand. Instead of extending the (J) I extended the (3) to go to Belmont Racetrack and meeting with the (A) & (K) at Aqueduct making the (A) Aqueduct a Manhattan and Rockaway bound station.

I got rid of the (M) in upper Queens and placed it back to it's previous line on the West End with the (D) to Bay Pkwy (Brown M FTW!) and I extended the (W) to go to 95th with the (R) and the last two trains will still terminate at 86th Street (N)

I did also flip the (T) to Third Ave and the Triboro line to Throggs Neck making both more fluid.

Let me know what you think! 

http://app.enmodal.co/?id=932ee5fcd250082a#

1 hour ago, quadcorder said:

I'm sure you'll get responses here. And this should all be under the existing PINNED Department of Subways thread, but  @ABOGbrooklyn is new so I wasn't going to be too harsh on him about that. But you should know better than to create a new thread @D to 96 St

Sorry about that, I'm still getting used to everything lol

7 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

Replies in light blue. 

I will be posting my map on here soon. If I don't get any responses, then I'll create a new thread. 

Sorry that I missedunderstood some of the things you meant earlier, I get what you mean though. I didn't know the LIRR had two ROW in southern Queens. Then it would be better if the (E) replaced one of the ROW. 

I was going to terminate the (D) to Bartow Av originally, I thought maybe it would help for Pelham to have a line connecting to Western Bronx, maybe it's not a good idea?

Also where would I extend the (J) meaning the Ave? If it's up Jamaica Av then wouldn't it be too close to the (F) as well? I chose the (3) because I thought it would cut thru the middle of St Albans via Linden Blvd. I thought it would serve better than the (J)

I get what you mean about people prefer the (M) to Midtown but why would they need to build a new Myrtle Av bypass? It can just go back on Nassau and meet with the (R) and go via 4th Av like before. In my map if Queens Blvd has the (E)(F)(G)(R) & my created (K) via Second Ave why would they need another line (when you suggest the (B) to Little Neck?

And I agree with you on Throggs Neck needing a direct connection to Manhattan, I'll fix it. I guess I didn't do that in the first place because I didn't want to put too many lines on SAS. Wouldn't that delay service if SAS has so many lines? I put the (W) to 95th with the (R) because knowing since I live and work by that area. The (R) is extremely delayed all of the time, and the population is growing denser along all of 4th Ave. I figured rush hour (W) would help service

18 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I would extend the (J) to Belmont Park (via Jamaica Avenue and Francis Lewis Boulevard and Hempstead Avenue) with the idea of making Belmont a year-round park-and-ride facility, perhaps with a small yard on the backstretch that can double as a barebones station on big race days. 

I would be supportive of depressed rail in that section, as it wouldn't be blighted and nature would compliment it with thee beauty and wet leaves (although that isn't exactly a good thing).

I think the entire (J) EL span could benefit from the paint job that the Dyre Av line is getting...

Archived