“Welcome to Club Manhattan. $11.52 cover charge”

Deucey

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm sure there will be adjustments either way so I just hope it passes because it is needed.  I am sick of leaving and earlier and sitting in more and more traffic, and getting anywhere with the subways is just as bad.

Yesterday on the way to Penn the (E) train stopped just outside the station for a few mins when I had a LIRR train to catch, I was able to catch it but it was reallllly close.

5 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Yesterday on the way to Penn the (E) train stopped just outside the station for a few mins when I had a LIRR train to catch, I was able to catch it but it was reallllly close.

Even on weekends now, I aim to get out as early as possible to avoid the congestion. It used to never be like this.  The streets are so congested that it looks like rush hour traffic. Ridiculous.  Cuomo noted it this morning... We have too many for-hire cars on the road and they need to be capped.  When Bloomberg was in office, we had the creation of the green cabs to give those in the outerboroughs access to taxis.  The problem is when Uber and Lyft came onto the scene, there was no cap put into place, and their numbers have exploded.  My commute has increased by at least 30 - 40 minutes in the last few years.  It's a rarity now to get home in 30 - 35 minutes.  

The question for the (MTA) is though how much money do they need to get their act together? The subways continue to worsen, be it on weekends or weekdays, and every day now there's some signal problem.  I used the subway on Saturday and I was shocked that it was relatively smooth (there were changes in service of course which meant riding local from 34th to Chambers), but it was also quite early in the morning, but I notice now anytime during the rush hour (morning or evening), all hell breaks loose with signal problems or some other mess, regardless of the weather conditions.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even on weekends now, I aim to get out as early as possible to avoid the congestion. It used to never be like this.  The streets are so congested that it looks like rush hour traffic. Ridiculous.  Cuomo noted it this morning... We have too many for-hire cars on the road and they need to be capped.  When Bloomberg was in office, we had the creation of the green cabs to give those in the outerboroughs access to taxis.  The problem is when Uber and Lyft came onto the scene, there was no cap put into place, and their numbers have exploded.  My commute has increased by at least 30 - 40 minutes in the last few years.  It's a rarity now to get home in 30 - 35 minutes.  

The question for the (MTA) is though how much money do they need to get their act together? The subways continue to worsen, be it on weekends or weekdays, and every day now there's some signal problem.  I used the subway on Saturday and I was shocked that it was relatively smooth, but it was also quite early in the morning, but I notice now anytime during the rush hour (morning or evening), all hell breaks loose with signal problems or some other mess, regardless of the weather conditions.

I remember seeing a news story where a taxi driver was blaming other cars and trucks for congestion, but when I drive in Manhattan (or other boroughs) it's clearly For Hire vehicles. 

In Manhattan there are tons of yellow cabs all over the place going slow, pulling over in the right and left lanes causing blockages, and the dotted non-yellow cabs that you see on the road have TLC plates!!

Outside of Manhattan it's the TLC Plated vehicles going slow so they don't get reamed by the TLC for getting a speeding ticket, they're the ones actually doing 50MPH on the Parkway/Expressways causing congestion, especially in the left lane.  You'll see the entire highway tapping their breaks constantly, and you'll see queues of vehicles behind a car(s) (sometimes they're side by side) with a large open road in front of them. If you're able to get up to the front it's some slow a$$ For-Hire car cruising. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I remember seeing a news story where a taxi driver was blaming other cars and trucks for congestion, but when I drive in Manhattan (or other boroughs) it's clearly For Hire vehicles. 

In Manhattan there are tons of yellow cabs all over the place going slow, pulling over in the right and left lanes causing blockages, and the dotted non-yellow cabs that you see on the road have TLC plates!!

Outside of Manhattan it's the TLC Plated vehicles going slow so they don't get reamed by the TLC for getting a speeding ticket, they're the ones actually doing 50MPH on the Parkway/Expressways causing congestion, especially in the left lane.  You'll see the entire highway tapping their breaks constantly, and you'll see queues of vehicles behind a car(s) (sometimes they're side by side) with a large open road in front of them. If you're able to get up to the front it's some slow a$$ For-Hire car cruising. :rolleyes:

I'm considering contacting my local community board about them.  They now park all over my neighborhood and take up the parking spots and then hang out and chit chat and loiter. I find their presence extremely annoying. I used to see more yellow taxi cabs in my neighborhood taking people from Manhattan, but increasingly they are being replaced by the Uber and Lyft cars who have no clue where they are going.  They either fly up my block or crawl down the street because they are lost. I live on a hill on a very quiet street, so I don't particularly care for them flying up the street like that, especially during snowstorms or when there is ice on the road.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm considering contacting my local community board about them.  They now park all over my neighborhood and take up the parking spots and then hang out and chit chat and loiter. I find their presence extremely annoying. I used to see more yellow taxi cabs in my neighborhood taking people from Manhattan, but increasingly they are being replaced by the Uber and Lyft cars who have no clue where they are going.  They either fly up my block or crawl down the street because they are lost. I live on a hill on a very quiet street, so I don't particularly care for them flying up the street like that, especially during snowstorms or when there is ice on the road.

They should stand their vehicles by fire hydrants so they are not taking up actual parking spaces. Many riders are opting for Uber and Lyft, but there are so many of those drivers that have NO sense of direction. That's why they get really lost. They rely too much on the GPS and wind up missing turns, etc.

45 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

They should stand their vehicles by fire hydrants so they are not taking up actual parking spaces. Many riders are opting for Uber and Lyft, but there are so many of those drivers that have NO sense of direction. That's why they get really lost. They rely too much on the GPS and wind up missing turns, etc.

When I lived in Fordham Hill Oval and worked in Ramsey NJ, I called one to get me to Port Authority since the Bx12 I needed to get to the (A) and on my 7:30am bus beat me to Fordham/Sedgwick. I got an Uber.

Told this dude to not take the Westside Highway - take Riverside to 72nd then West End Av down. "Papi, Tengo que follow GPS."

I got to Port Authority at 9am because the Westside Highway is a parking lot in AM rush.

A yellow cab, or at least a non-app driver would've listened to me.

28 minutes ago, Deucey said:

When I lived in Fordham Hill Oval and worked in Ramsey NJ, I called one to get me to Port Authority since the Bx12 I needed to get to the (A) and on my 7:30am bus beat me to Fordham/Sedgwick. I got an Uber.

Told this dude to not take the Westside Highway - take Riverside to 72nd then West End Av down. "Papi, Tengo que follow GPS."

I got to Port Authority at 9am because the Westside Highway is a parking lot in AM rush.

A yellow cab, or at least a non-app driver would've listened to me.

Not only is the highway a parking lot in the AM rush, but it ends at a traffic signal! The southbound Clearview Expressway and westbound Jackie Robinson Parkway have that "dead end" problem as well.

Do they actually have to follow the GPS on the Uber/Lyft apps? 

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Not only is the highway a parking lot in the AM rush, but it ends at a traffic signal! The southbound Clearview Expressway and westbound Jackie Robinson Parkway have that "dead end" problem as well.

Do they actually have to follow the GPS on the Uber/Lyft apps? 

They did before 2015 to maximize revenue. Now they use Waze bc the apps realized happier customers mean more utilization.

21 minutes ago, Deucey said:

They did before 2015 to maximize revenue. Now they use Waze bc the apps realized happier customers mean more utilization.

Well duh (FHV companies), people don't use your apps to sit in traffic or take the long route. They needed actual feedback to realize that? I mean if only the MTA realized that less delays means more utilization. (many are unnecessary and they simply don't want to mitigate them to appease customers) 

An example from a few months ago

MTA: "Hey passengers, this weekend we're running the (3) express to Penn Station, but we're also running the (2) express so that we can unnecessarily subject you to delays in both directions as we wait for terminating trains to get out of the way. Thank you for riding NYC transit and please don't use FVH Apps instead of us."

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I have a question for you and anyone else who cares to respond. If the speed limit is 50mph on a parkway in NYS can you be ticketed for passing cars doing 55-60 mph? I'm asking because I've seen NYS troopers traveling side by side at the speed limit on the Southern State and no one tried to pass them in the passing lane. I've seen the same thing on I-95 in NC on a 2 lane Interstate. I've heard NYPD and NYS troopers will give you a 9mph courtesy but they're not obligated to do so. In other words would you pass someone who is driving at the speed limit,  passing lane or not ? In NC there are portions of I-95 where the posted speed limit ranges from 65 mph up to 80 mph but only drivers from the NYC metro area , IMO , are brazen enough to ride in the passing lane. Just asking.  Carry on. 

17 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I have a question for you and anyone else who cares to respond. If the speed limit is 50mph on a parkway in NYS can you be ticketed for passing cars doing 55-60 mph? I'm asking because I've seen NYS troopers traveling side by side at the speed limit on the Southern State and no one tried to pass them in the passing lane. I've seen the same thing on I-95 in NC on a 2 lane Interstate. I've heard NYPD and NYS troopers will give you a 9mph courtesy but they're not obligated to do so. In other words would you pass someone who is driving at the speed limit,  passing lane or not ? In NC there are portions of I-95 where the posted speed limit ranges from 65 mph up to 80 mph but only drivers from the NYC metro area , IMO , are brazen enough to ride in the passing lane. Just asking.  Carry on. 

Its 50mph in NYC; 55mph in Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, etc.  You can technically get one for doing 50-65 but they usually give a courtesy because speed limits are artificially low anyway and they want a dramatic speed difference for the interaction with the driver and for the courts to play with like cat nip.  If you actually drove the speed limit you will be passed by many vehicles.

I've seen drivers gradually pass troopers on the Southern State, but now since the Gov is blood thirsty for revenue, the troopers are like vultures waiting for prey. So people just play along and cruise until the coast is clear.

In NC the speed limits are more reasonable, but when you say brazen enough to ride in the passing lane, do you mean passing vehicles or just riding in the lane? I ask because in the NYC metro area many motorists don't even know what "the passing lane" is.  So it may be clueless "unaware drivers" just driving in the left lane because they want to, or it may be drivers that want to use it for it's intended purpose.

8 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Its 50mph in NYC; 55mph in Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, etc.  You can technically get one for doing 50-65 but they usually give a courtesy because speed limits are artificially low anyway and they want a dramatic speed difference for the interaction with the driver and for the courts to play with like cat nip.  If you actually drove the speed limit you will be passed by many vehicles.

I've seen drivers gradually pass troopers on the Southern State, but now since the Gov is blood thirsty for revenue, the troopers are like vultures waiting for prey. So people just play along and cruise until the coast is clear.

In NC the speed limits are more reasonable, but when you say brazen enough to ride in the passing lane, do you mean passing vehicles or just riding in the lane? I ask because in the NYC metro area many motorists don't even know what "the passing lane" is.  So it may be clueless "unaware drivers" just driving in the left lane because they want to, or it may be drivers that want to use it for it's intended purpose.

I mean brazen enough to ride in the passing lane like it's legal. If there's a sign warning of road construction one mile ahead with 2 lanes merging down to 1 everyone immediately merges into single file.  That's everyone except the NYC metro folks who will ride in the lane until they reach the barriers. Across most of the country a 2 lane highway means one driving lane and a passing lane. Drive in the left lane for more than a quarter mile in NC, VA,or MD, and it's  almost like you're asking for a ticket.  Baltimore,  DC, and Richmond during rush hours are the exceptions I've seen. I think you're right about the NYC metro area drivers without a doubt.  I never really thought about it before. 

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I mean brazen enough to ride in the passing lane like it's legal. If there's a sign warning of road construction one mile ahead with 2 lanes merging down to 1 everyone immediately merges into single file.  That's everyone except the NYC metro folks who will ride in the lane until they reach the barriers. Across most of the country a 2 lane highway means one driving lane and a passing lane. Drive in the left lane for more than a quarter mile in NC, VA,or MD, and it's  almost like you're asking for a ticket.  Baltimore,  DC, and Richmond during rush hours are the exceptions I've seen. I think you're right about the NYC metro area drivers without a doubt.  I never really thought about it before. 

Yeah I think it's because they don't know the left lane is for passing. I love when I drive out of state and people actually follow lane courtesy rules. It makes for a more enjoyable driving experience. They need to ticket left lane drivers in NY, they would eliminate so much congestion, accidents and road rage. 

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Speedometers are inaccurate and can be off by 4% under SAE, so when you’re speedo shows 50, you could actually be going 48; at 55 you’re likely going 52.

Most cops tend to get you if you’re visibly going way faster than flow of traffic - like 10mph if they haven’t clocked or gunned you.

If you drive like us Californians (or like us folks who learned from Michiganders), doing 80 in a 70 is the norm, and you only get caught if 5-0 is in the sky or they’re 1/2 mile behind (it’s why I never got got doing 90 on the NSP or LIE when I worked in Garden City, nor on the Deegan when I lived in the Bx and had my car).

But I learned at 24 never pass a cop.

I was smobbin in my Camry on Interstate 5 with my two homeboys and one of their ladies going to LA. Two days earlier I broke my speedo - dropped it when I was fitting glow gauge covers on. So I was gauging speed by feeling the tranny shifts, watching the tach and the cars around me.

This Stockton PD officer is in front of me doing the speed limit I’m assuming, then slowed down.

Blinker on, I merge left to pass. Boy Dom warned me not to do it. I’m like “He’s local PD; he can’t do anything. Only Highway Patrol can stop me.”

Soon as I blinked right to go back in the slow lane, I get lit up. Dom, Jayson and Flo laughing at me.

Dom rolls down the passenger window - cuz I had cranks instead of power. Cop goes “You weren’t speeding much, so that’s okay, but I pulled you over because you passed me. You don’t do that!”

Me: “You slowed down, so I merged to pass.”

Cop: “I slowed cuz I was over the speed limit.”

Me: “I wasn’t sure. I’m just trying to get everyone to LA - I have the only smog legal car out of us four, and I stayed behind you because I figured you weren’t speeding so I’d be okay.”

Cop: “You could look at your speedo and tell.”

Me: “My speedo’s Broken. I dropped it two days ago and the replacement won’t arrive until Tuesday. Got it off eBay.”

Cop: “Right. Your Speedometer’s broken.” He reaches for the ticket book.

Me: “It is. Look at it - we’re stopped and it’s saying I’m going 10 mph. Now it’s at 20.”

Cop looks. 

“Have a safe trip to LA Otis.”

Them glow gauges were beautiful until the fuse box blew.

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

7 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

In NYS the left lane is not strictly for passing. Therefore no one is actually violating the law.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, N6 Limited said:

Haha, those Fresh Direct trucks are everywhere.

I like the idea of outer borough toll reductions. Yes, they want to deter driving but the only transit between Queens and the Bronx is the Q44 & Q50.  I can drive from eastern Queens to Bay Plaza/Co-op City (or even New Rochelle!) in 20-30 minutes, by public transportation that would take TWO HOURS with good connections! 

If they want to discourage driving they need to improve transit options, convenience, costs and speeds.

Well if you're going between Queens and New Rochelle, I'd recommend using Trailways because they operate a route that starts somewhere in Long Island and goes to Albany. While it doesn't make many trips, 2 weekdays and 3 weekends it's pretty convenient, as you can always buy a ticket at any ticket center a couple minutes in advance, and is the only bus that goes over the Throgs Neck Bridge.

https://trailwaysny.com/bus-between-albany-long-island/

9 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

In NYS the left lane is not strictly for passing. Therefore no one is actually violating the law.

NYS needs to change that.

There is this however: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1120

(B) In addition, upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

Well if you're going between Queens and New Rochelle, I'd recommend using Trailways because they operate a route that starts somewhere in Long Island and goes to Albany. While it doesn't make many trips, 2 weekdays and 3 weekends it's pretty convenient, as you can always buy a ticket at any ticket center a couple minutes in advance, and is the only bus that goes over the Throgs Neck Bridge.

https://trailwaysny.com/bus-between-albany-long-island/

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Queens Village to New Rochelle is $6, QV to White Plains is $9. Not bad.

10 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Is that actually the law or is that the practice? From what I’ve seen in Suffolk County non rush hours on the Northern, Southern, and the LIE the state troopers sure don’t seem to have gotten the memo. My brother in law, NYPD, was dropping my wife and I off at LGA one day. We’re on the LIE coming from Brentwood not in the HOV lane but the left lane. We got pulled over just before exit 42 the NSP interchange. The trooper said that we weren’t speeding but we stayed in the left lane from the rest stop at exit 52 without ever getting back into another lane until we approached exit 42. He told my brother in law, who was in uniform, that he should have known better. Don’t let me get started with the Nassau and Suffolk county police. Maybe the law is enforced differently across the state? Different actions trigger a response? I don’t know the answer to that. I will say that I spend lots of time on Suffolk county’s roads, the Belt, the SIE, and the NJTP and I’m very observant of what goes on. Carry on.

5 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

NYS needs to change that.

There is this however: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1120

(B) In addition, upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Queens Village to New Rochelle is $6, QV to White Plains is $9. Not bad.

The part before the addition is the main thing I was getting at.

Archived