I-95 / PA Turnpike Interchange nears completion

mfs NJT459

Fifty years in the making, officials anticipate the connection between I-95 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike will be open by late summer/early fall 2018.

Motorists on Interstate 95 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike soon will be able to get from here to there on just one road. It’s only taken about 50 years.

Since I-95′s completion in 1969, plans called for creating a seamless link between the interstate and the turnpike. In 2018, project engineers say, they will finally make good on the decades-old promise to make the connection and have I-95 stretch continuously from Maine to Florida.

http://www.theintell.com/news/20180218/project-to-connect-i-95-pa-turnpike-nears-major-milestone/1

I wonder if this will mean Greyhound, some Bolt Buses, and Megabuses will no longer travel through BFB, NJ 38, NJ 73 to Turnpike Exit 4 between Philly-NYC

• 8 months later...

• 2 years later...

This also means another reroute for I-95...it no longer use the Scudders Falls Bridge...I-295 is extended to replace it.  And since that bridge was replaced by a new structure last year, it became a toll bridge (collected going from NJ to PA).

The whole I-95 route issue is silly...right from the beginning, it should have been over the NJTP the entire way, but for political reasons, it was routed through Pennsylvania.  This has always caused confusion for some through travelers, not familiar with the routing.

Edited by traildriver

10 hours ago, traildriver said:

This also means another reroute for I-95...it no longer use the Scudders Falls Bridge...I-295 is extended to replace it.  And since that bridge was replaced by a new structure last year, it became a toll bridge (collected going from NJ to PA).

The whole I-95 route issue is silly...right from the beginning, it should have been over the NJTP the entire way, but for political reasons, it was routed through Pennsylvania.  This has always caused confusion for some through travelers, not familiar with the routing.

As a kid I always thought I95 was via the NJ Turnpike from the GWB to a Delaware Memorial Bridge. Was surprised to find there's an I-95 gap in Jersey.

My family on two separate occasions made a wrong turn on 95 N/B in Delaware and ended up in Philly rather than South Jeresy via the Delaware Bridge haha.

54 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

As a kid I always thought I95 was via the NJ Turnpike from the GWB to a Delaware Memorial Bridge. Was surprised to find there's an I-95 gap in Jersey.

My family on two separate occasions made a wrong turn on 95 N/B in Delaware and ended up in Philly rather than South Jeresy via the Delaware Bridge haha.

That's what I thought too. It made sense to me too, I see I-95 in NJ, and I-95 in DE so it has to connect right?

Apparently, this is not the case because PA doesn't want to be "left out", so they wanted the I-95 through Philly.

Regarding the buses. I think it will still go thru the present route. Greyhound has a stop at Camden, and Boltbus has a stop at Cherry Hill Mall

On 11/30/2020 at 7:44 PM, Mtatransit said:

That's what I thought too. It made sense to me too, I see I-95 in NJ, and I-95 in DE so it has to connect right?

Apparently, this is not the case because PA doesn't want to be "left out", so they wanted the I-95 through Philly.

Regarding the buses. I think it will still go thru the present route. Greyhound has a stop at Camden, and Boltbus has a stop at Cherry Hill Mall

That stretch of roadway will always be I-295 to me than I-95.