Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I got an MTA email today saying the QM36 schedule Manhattan bound will change starting Monday. Instead of a link to a new schedule, it said you need to go on Trip Planner and plan a trip. But, when I did that,  the schedules seemed to be the same as they are now!

Anyone know what the hell is going on? 

And of course the 7 pm QM1 didn't show up tonight. 

The 7:00 didn’t show up because the 4:30pm didn’t come either, and there was another QM1 missing as well, so that’s THREE out of the seven trips missing.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The tripplanner info is wrong. Give me a few minutes and I'll give you the new trip times.

Okay, so here are the new trip times:

From North Shore Towers:

6:40 AM, 6:55 AM, 7:10 AM, 7:25 AM, 7:45 AM

Source: Here (From Winter 2019, then the schedule file. It's easier to find out on routes with few trips if you know what to look for, but on routes with a lot more trips, like the QM5, it's a PITA to find everything.)

Basically, every trip except the last one is moved 5 minutes earlier. So basically, be at the stop 5 minutes earlier than normal, since runtimes are not changing.

Thank you! I wonder why they are making this change just to the QM36 runs in one direction. Ridiculous that it is so hard to find the changes. 

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thank you! I wonder why they are making this change just to the QM36 runs in one direction. Ridiculous that it is so hard to find the changes. 

The new schedules will be up on the MTA website in a matter of days, so don't worry too much. Actually it's already out:

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

UPDATES:

We got word late yesterday afternoon that our second meeting with the (MTA) will happen WITH the DOT (finally). We will pick from a list of dates that works for both parties in the coming days and finalize a date this month.

Additionally, Councilman Justin Brannan (Democrat-Brooklyn) posted this in our advocacy group:

Per Justin Brannan:

Introducing a bill with my Staten Island colleagues that will help with your PM commute if you ride the x27/28 from lower Manhattan

N7GARIXGJFB3NO6J2GOJ4T6CJI.JPG&cfs=1&ups

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/01/bill-to-restrict-tour-buses-could-ease-staten-islanders-commute.html

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

UPDATES:

We got word late yesterday afternoon that our second meeting with the (MTA) will happen WITH the DOT (finally). We will pick from a list of dates that works for both parties in the coming days and finalize a date this month.

Additionally, Councilman Justin Brannan (Democrat-Brooklyn) posted this in our advocacy group:

Per Justin Brannan:

Introducing a bill with my Staten Island colleagues that will help with your PM commute if you ride the x27/28 from lower Manhattan

N7GARIXGJFB3NO6J2GOJ4T6CJI.JPG&cfs=1&ups

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/01/bill-to-restrict-tour-buses-could-ease-staten-islanders-commute.html

I forgot to add what we’ll be discussing:

-Feasibility of HOV lanes on various expressways (The Bruckner, The Cross Bronx, The Major Deegan, LIE, etc.)

-TSP (Traffic Signal Priority) for express bus service. We’d like an idea of a timeline for its implementation, something we’ve been unable to obtain during our meeting with elected officials.

-Feasibility of bus shelters for express bus stops in both Manhattan and outer borough locations. Express bus service is supposed to be a “premium service” according to the (MTA) , yet express bus riders have very few bus shelters in comparison to local bus stops, especially when considering that wait times can be long during off-peak hours where service may only be hourly.

@QM1to6Ave Your bus should be coming tonight. So far the QM1s have been arriving. All trips came this morning, and all have come this evening. We’ve been making such a stink in my group, that one of my contacts went in on his day off today. lol

Just a question, has Downtown Express bus ridership decreased significantly due to the Government Shutdown? I've seen SIM1/5/7/9 buses along Hylan caring less of a load of passengers. (The (MTA) could also be at risk if the government doesn't open back up soon and might have to cut service to fill the $150 million a month gap that is federally received and might try to cut Downtown Service significantly.)

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave Your bus should be coming tonight. So far the QM1s have been arriving. All trips came this morning, and all have come this evening. We’ve been making such a stink in my group, that one of my contacts went in on his day off today. lol

Excellent, haha! I have to say, considering it was the first day of a new pick, it was very smooth travel going in and coming back tonight. And my B/O tonight, a new guy, was unusually pleasant

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Excellent, haha! I have to say, considering it was the first day of a new pick, it was very smooth travel going in and coming back tonight. And my B/O tonight, a new guy, was unusually pleasant

Uh huh. I have a few guys I speak with daily. They really want to turn this around. Express bus service is near and dear to them. I don’t have a Queens person yet, but I’m hoping to change that soon.

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just a question, has Downtown Express bus ridership decreased significantly due to the Government Shutdown? I've seen SIM1/5/7/9 buses along Hylan caring less of a load of passengers. (The (MTA) could also be at risk if the government doesn't open back up soon and might have to cut service to fill the $150 million a month gap that is federally received and might try to cut Downtown Service significantly.)

I doubt it. Ridership tends to be light this time of year. People just coming back to work. January is a very light month for me. Most clients are getting their  budgets set up for the year and starting to zoom in on new projects they want to undertake. You also have the snowbirds that go away.

21 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I've definitely noticed less people on my rides in and out of the city on the QM25 since the holidays started.  I was expecting it to be back to normal this week but so far it's been a lighter load than usual.  Also the traffic has been scary light. The 4 o clock bus usually gets off the LIE around 5:15ish, this week so far it's been just before 5:00pm.  I'm definitely not complaining but I wonder how much of it has to do with the government shutdown compared versus the end of seasonal work ending, and as VG8 stated, snowbirds and work lulls. 

Edited by ViaWaterViaChurch

3 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I've definitely noticed less people on my rides in and out of the city on the QM25 since the holidays started.  I was expecting it to be back to normal this week but so far it's been a lighter load than usual.  Also the traffic has been scary light. The 4 o clock bus usually gets off the LIE around 5:15ish, this week so far it's been just before 5:00pm.  I'm definitely not complaining but I wonder how much of it has to do with the government shutdown compared versus the end of seasonal work ending, and as VG8 stated, snowbirds and work lulls. 

I have the exact same experience--I actually missed my QM5 going home because it got all the way to the last stop from the terminal in only 7 minutes! I've never seen buses go so quickly, even at the post-holiday period in other years. 

14 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I have the exact same experience--I actually missed my QM5 going home because it got all the way to the last stop from the terminal in only 7 minutes! I've never seen buses go so quickly, even at the post-holiday period in other years. 

Drivers hauling ass is definitely due to my group. We’ve made it clear that we want buses moving again like the old days...

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Drivers hauling ass is definitely due to my group. We’ve made it clear that we want buses moving again like the old days...

Negative. There will never be a order or guidance to drive quicker. Union would have a field day is a understatement.

26 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Negative. There will never be a order or guidance to drive quicker. Union would have a field day is a understatement.

I didn’t say anything about an order or a guidance now did I? Didn’t specify Staten Island either, nor specific depots.  There have been SOME improvements and those aren’t by chance that much I know. Staten Island is not part of it quite frankly, and in rating service, we gave Staten Island an F. I’m well aware of the situation on Staten Island, and our group or any other group won’t be able to single handedly deal with the issues there. It’s been a problem there for a longggg time, and will continue to be that way for reasons I’m sure you’re aware of, BUT as I said there have been some improvements in some depots and that is because of our group. I don’t want to paint this picture that we have a magic wand. It’s a simple thing of when you have lots and lots of people complaining, eventually something has to be done to address the issues. Staten Island’s issues go beyond any public outcry, that’s for sure. I’ll leave it at that. I’ve spoken to people on the inside and we just laugh about the situation because we all know the deal.

So today the 4:00pm QM25 bus 3303 was running with a bad alternator on the LIE. Luckily traffic was smooth all the way until exit 19 where it gets off because the bus’s engine was cutting off that the B/O had to restart the engine only for it to cut again not even two minutes later that at one point we were costing on the LIE with no engine on. 

11 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

So today the 4:00pm QM25 bus 3303 was running with a bad alternator on the LIE. Luckily traffic was smooth all the way until exit 19 where it gets off because the bus’s engine was cutting off that the B/O had to restart the engine only for it to cut again not even two minutes later that at one point we were costing on the LIE with no engine on. 

A lady posted in our group that the bus broke down. You must've been on the same bus... lol

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I didn’t say anything about an order or a guidance now did I? Didn’t specify Staten Island either, nor specific depots.  There have been SOME improvements and those aren’t by chance that much I know. Staten Island is not part of it quite frankly, and in rating service, we gave Staten Island an F. I’m well aware of the situation on Staten Island, and our group or any other group won’t be able to single handedly deal with the issues there. It’s been a problem there for a longggg time, and will continue to be that way for reasons I’m sure you’re aware of, BUT as I said there have been some improvements in some depots and that is because of our group. I don’t want to paint this picture that we have a magic wand. It’s a simple thing of when you have lots and lots of people complaining, eventually something has to be done to address the issues. Staten Island’s issues go beyond any public outcry, that’s for sure. I’ll leave it at that. I’ve spoken to people on the inside and we just laugh about the situation because we all know the deal.

Well how else would " drivers now hauling ass due to my group" I don't see how any depot SI or not would just be magically hauling ass lol

17 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Well how else would " drivers now hauling ass due to my group" I don't see how any depot SI or not would just be magically hauling ass lol

I know from experience when something happens. There's been a change in how some drivers operate in general.  Drivers that normally drive incredibly slow are now hauling @ss, and these are drivers that I've had for years now. Not by coincidence. There are other things as well.  Buses that were not coming have been coming ever since, every day right on time, and this started during the last pick; trips that had been a problem for months.  We noted the specific trips that were routinely a problem on some lines and were told it would be taken care of where possible so that's how I know. 

Now can I tell you exactly what happened?  I don't know every single detail, but I do know some of the problems after several discussions/conference calls, etc.  It's nothing earth shattering that's for sure. The usual crap that causes problems when trying to make service. The main difference in our opinion is that the (MTA) became lax with trying to make service. Now they have someone on their @ss about their performance, hundreds of people complaining.  Makes a difference....

As I said, we had a meeting about on-time performance and buses meeting the schedules that much I do know, and after that meeting we've seen improvements.  The reality is, the (MTA) YEARS AGO was told to get their act together when it came to express bus service when they were audited. All we're doing is pointing out that audit and putting pressure on them to work towards adhering to what the audit said.  It's very obvious that where changes could be made they were made, and in other cases there are issues hindering progress, and as I said I spoke with some folks that know the deal.  I know the deal too having lived on the island for almost a decade.  You should read the audit.  It mentions precisely what the problems were with express bus service and makes recommendations, many of which we agree with. That audit is from over three years ago, and quite frankly the problems mentioned have only worsened until recently.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/comptroller-stringer-audit-reveals-nearly-one-third-of-mta-express-buses-not-on-time/

“We need to bring all parties to the table to discuss ways to improve service, including our hard-working drivers who know these neighborhoods and roadways better than anyone. Express bus riders pay a premium for their commutes, but management hasn’t done enough to ensure these buses are worth the cost. MTA management must take immediate steps to improve performance across the board and be more transparent about how they’ve met their own standards,” Stringer said.

The "politics" on Staten Island are real which is part of it. There are other dynamics as well.

@trife86 Something else I forgot to add. There's also been a TON of managerial changes. Maybe not on Staten Island, but lots of moving parts in other places for sure. How that will impact how the (MTA) runs service remains to be seen.  Some old timers too and some have been promoted here and there.

4 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I've had that same issue on multiple buses. Did not realize it was due to the alternator. Honestly, there is nothing much scarier than the bus suddenly shutting off in the Midtown tunnel, going totally silent, and just coasting. The B/O's seem used to it, which is pretty sad, but they stay very calm when it happens.  

Well, the post-holiday honeymoon period is over. Once again tonight, no sign of the 7:00 pm QM1 (nor the 7:00 QM5 for that matter). When the 7 pm QM6 gets to the last stop where I was waiting, it was SRO. So, I see on the tracker that the last QM35 of the night is running late, so I hustle over to catch it at 55th and 3rd. But, that bus is also SRO! So I spent the trip home sitting on the floor cursing out the MTA under my breath.

Traffic was also back to its usual pattern/volume

There must have been other buses missing before these, because they are not usually quite this full (there were 6 standees along with me, which was insane). And of course the cherry on top was non-functioning Wifi, but in the scheme of things I care more about getting a seat. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Well, the post-holiday honeymoon period is over. Once again tonight, no sign of the 7:00 pm QM1 (nor the 7:00 QM5 for that matter). When the 7 pm QM6 gets to the last stop where I was waiting, it was SRO. So, I see on the tracker that the last QM35 of the night is running late, so I hustle over to catch it at 55th and 3rd. But, that bus is also SRO! So I spent the trip home sitting on the floor cursing out the MTA under my breath.

Traffic was also back to its usual pattern/volume

There must have been other buses missing before these, because they are not usually quite this full (there were 6 standees along with me, which was insane). And of course the cherry on top was non-functioning Wifi, but in the scheme of things I care more about getting a seat. 

Morning trips on the QM1 have been all filled for the most part, but at night all hell breaks loose. I put on BusTime in my office immediately before 4pm religiously, and start checking what’s coming and what isn’t, or I go to a random stop and start checking, and no matter what I make a point to check for EVERY QM1. The last two days, the 4:00 and the 4:30 have come. I note the time, bus # etc in my iPad to keep it for the Comptroller’s Office to show them how horrendous service has been on some lines. After 4:30 there seems to be SEVERAL QM1 buses missing, and yes this is strange because the 4:00pm and the 4:30pm are supposed to have second trips at 6:30 and 7pm respectively. I’m not sure if the drivers are screwing around or what, but that is VERY possible. I remember the first weekend we started monitoring service, we picked a Saturday because there was a detour along 6th. We tried to take TWO QM5 trips to Glen Oaks and could NOT get either trip, one at 6th and 42nd and the later one at 3rd and 57th. We NEVER got the one at 3rd and 57th, yet he pops up on BusTime going to Queens. Monday morning I buzzed my contact and told him, and he confirmed that the trips were missing but didn’t elaborate and apologized. Just imagine being chewed out about missing trips before the (MTA) Board, and that weekend you have trips that go missing. It’s like putting salt in an open wound. lol

Now that 3pm guy listen to this. I see the SAME bus later after having taken a trip with the QM6 to North Shore Towers. This bus is now a QM6 to Midtown (as I’m sure you know, the QM5 can turn into QM6s and vice versa). I board the bus to see who the driver is. It’s not a rookie. The guy is definitely a vet. The guy looked at me wondering if I was an (MTA) guy checking service but one of those undercover types looking to bust a driver doing something wrong. I could tell by the way he was eyeing me. When I got off at 57th and 3rd, I made a point to be a smart @ss and ask him point blank if he was the 3pm bus? He said no in a curt tone. I don’t buy that because that bus laid over right by North Shore Towers (kept tracking it on BusTime) and he had a nice long break, so I would be shocked if drivers were switched. Sunday morning I had a rookie on the QM6 and took her again to Midtown. 30 minutes late both ways. I suspect that that’s part of the problem too. Lots of newbies. She didn’t do anything more than 20 tops even though there was no traffic. Seemed like she was still in training the way she acted.

Some depots have not only new drivers but new management too, so it’s a bit of a mess, not to mention guys being promoted.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Morning trips on the QM1 have been all filled for the most part, but at night all hell breaks loose. I put on BusTime in my office immediately before 4pm religiously, and start checking what’s coming and what isn’t, or I go to a random stop and start checking, and no matter what I make a point to check for EVERY QM1. The last two days, the 4:00 and the 4:30 have come. I note the time, bus # etc in my iPad to keep it for the Comptroller’s Office to show them how horrendous service has been on some lines. After 4:30 there seems to be SEVERAL QM1 buses missing, and yes this is strange because the 4:00pm and the 4:30pm are supposed to have second trips at 6:30 and 7pm respectively. I’m not sure if the drivers are screwing around or what, but that is VERY possible. I remember the first weekend we started monitoring service, we picked a Saturday because there was a detour along 6th. We tried to take TWO QM5 trips to Glen Oaks and could NOT get either trip, one at 6th and 42nd and the later one at 3rd and 57th. We NEVER got the one at 3rd and 57th, yet he pops up on BusTime going to Queens. Monday morning I buzzed my contact and told him, and he confirmed that the trips were missing but didn’t elaborate and apologized. Just imagine being chewed out about missing trips before the (MTA) Board, and that weekend you have trips that go missing. It’s like putting salt in an open wound. lol

Now that 3pm guy listen to this. I see the SAME bus later after having taken a trip with the QM6 to North Shore Towers. This bus is now a QM6 to Midtown (as I’m sure you know, the QM5 can turn into QM6s and vice versa). I board the bus to see who the driver is. It’s not a rookie. The guy is definitely a vet. The guy looked at me wondering if I was an (MTA) guy checking service but one of those undercover types looking to bust a driver doing something wrong. I could tell by the way he was eyeing me. When I got off at 57th and 3rd, I made a point to be a smart @ss and ask him point blank if he was the 3pm bus? He said no in a curt tone. I don’t buy that because that bus laid over right by North Shore Towers (kept tracking it on BusTime) and he had a nice long break, so I would be shocked if drivers were switched. Sunday morning I had a rookie on the QM6 and took her again to Midtown. 30 minutes late both ways. I suspect that that’s part of the problem too. Lots of newbies. She didn’t do anything more than 20 tops even though there was no traffic. Seemed like she was still in training the way she acted.

Some depots have not only new drivers but new management too, so it’s a bit of a mess, not to mention guys being promoted.

It certainly seems like that story with Sisyphus pushing the rock up the mountain just to have it keep rolling back! One of my co-workers was joking that there must be a German word for the unique helplessness you feel trying to deal with a giant bureaucracy