Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

@QM1to6Ave @Via Garibaldi 8 can you give me Intel if the 6:30 and 7 PM QM1 buses come? I'll be in SAT prep class so I won't be able to track it. So far no QM1 since 4:30 PM, waiting on 6 PM trip as of now.

That's the same thing I have. I was speaking with one of my contacts a little while ago about Ulmer Park service which is decent tonight, but yes I'm not happy with the QM1 to say the least.

55 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

@QM1to6Ave @Via Garibaldi 8 can you give me Intel if the 6:30 and 7 PM QM1 buses come? I'll be in SAT prep class so I won't be able to track it. So far no QM1 since 4:30 PM, waiting on 6 PM trip as of now.

As of right now (6:58pm) I don't see a single QM1 anywhere on BusTime.

EDIT: Just checked again and the 7pm trip did leave 37th Street on-time.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

17 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

As of right now (6:58pm) I don't see a single QM1 anywhere on BusTime.

EDIT: Just checked again and the 7pm trip did leave 37th Street on-time.

@Lil 57 I was waiting for the 6:30, and it never ran. Had to let a QM5 and a QM6 pass before i could get a seat on the next QM5

Edited by QM1to6Ave

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@Lil 57 I was waiting for the 6:30, and it never ran. Had to let a QM5 and a QM6 pass before i could get a seat on the next QM5

I don't understand it because there was a 4pm bus. I have it logged as 3467, so why that bus didn't do the 6:30pm trip is beyond me.  Here is tonight's log from my iPad:

QM1: 16:00, 3467. 16:30, 3060. 17:00, Not Filled. 17:30, Not Filled. 18:00, Not Filled. 18:30, Not Filled. 19:00, 3060.

I just finished sending over my draft agenda tonight to my contacts. I'm awaiting some dates to choose from... Senator Biaggi's office wants to be in the meeting as well, so I've copied them in the e-mail.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't understand it because there was a 4pm bus. I have it logged as 3467, so why that bus didn't do the 6:30pm trip is beyond me.  Here is tonight's log from my iPad:

QM1: 16:00, 3467. 16:30, 3060. 17:00, Not Filled. 17:30, Not Filled. 18:00, Not Filled. 18:30, Not Filled. 19:00, 3060.

I just finished sending over my draft agenda tonight to my contacts. I'm awaiting some dates to choose from... Senator Biaggi's office wants to be in the meeting as well, so I've copied them in the e-mail.

Tottaly unacceptable that no buses ran during the heart of rush hour. 2 and a half hour gaps are also unacceptable. 

Was the 7PM bus crowded or did people just give up and go to routes like the QM31?

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Tottaly unacceptable that no buses ran during the heart of rush hour. 2 and a half hour gaps are also unacceptable. 

Was the 7PM bus crowded or did people just give up and go to routes like the QM31?

I don’t know. I was working on some projects and my agenda for the upcoming meeting. Still need to add some things. May check out so routes this weekend.

34 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

More likely, people squeezed onto the QM5's and 6's, which is why they were so packed around 6:30-7:00. I truly believe the MTA is trying to show that if they get rid of the QM1, people can still make due and squish onto the other lines 

24 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

More likely, people squeezed onto the QM5's and 6's, which is why they were so packed around 6:30-7:00. I truly believe the MTA is trying to show that if they get rid of the QM1, people can still make due and squish onto the other lines 

I’m more concerned about this overall though. I spoke to a driver Friday on one of the lines that we monitor daily. I asked him if he was the regular driver, and his response was that this was his last day. In other words, he was doing that run for that time period and then he was off to something else. That indicated to me that they don’t have regulars doing some of these runs and it makes no sense. Shocking that they’re still dealing with a manpower issue... Spoke with another of my folks tonight about some lines. Buses here and there are a problem for some lines, but I don’t think that’s the case for the QM1. I may speak with someone else about that line though. I have a few former B/Os in my group and guys that dispatched express lines. They may be able to give me the scoop. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I’m more concerned about this overall though. I spoke to a driver Friday on one of the lines that we monitor daily. I asked him if he was the regular driver, and his response was that this was his last day. That indicated to me that they don’t have regulars doing some of these runs and it makes no sense. Shocking that they’re still dealing with a manpower issue...

It could've been that he was filling in for another driver that was out due to the other driver being out vacation, sick, etc. I know a driver that covered his friend's runs for about a week or two. It was pretty weird seeing him that early cause I know he was usually on the afternoon runs.

Just now, danielhg121 said:

It could've been that he was filling in for another driver that was out due to the other driver being out vacation, sick, etc. I know a driver that covered his friend's runs for about a week or two. It was pretty weird seeing him that early cause I know he was usually on the afternoon runs.

I’m aware. This is a bit different. We’ve been monitoring some lines now for months, and some runs have never had a regular driver and it is causing some serious reliability problems. I’ve seen various drivers doing some trips, ones that I know aren’t new and tons of that are.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I’m aware. This is a bit different. We’ve been monitoring some lines now for months, and some runs have never had a regular driver and it is causing some serious reliability problems. I’ve seen various drivers doing some trips, ones that I know aren’t new and tons of that are.

Don't drivers get paid differently based on the run they do? Like run pay? Maybe express runs don't pay that well so drivers aren't picking them?

5 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Don't drivers get paid differently based on the run they do? Like run pay? Maybe express runs don't pay that well so drivers aren't picking them?

No, express bus runs can pay decently, though some drivers do flee to NYCT from MTA Bus for better pay, but that’s more of a MTA Bus thing versus NYCT overall.  I think some guys have or are retiring, and that’s part of the problem. A number of guys I haven’t seen in quite a while. Making a career as a B/O... Used to be a thing. Not as much. Supposedly there’s a shortage around the country. No as sexy of a job for the millennials...

I know this isn’t an express route but another route I’d suggest looking into is the M98. This route operates similarly to an express bus and deals with almost the same exact problems. I had a couple time I tried to use it over the summer and almost everytime I had to deal with either extremely late buses or no shows.

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 @QM1to6Ave I won't be able to track the 7 PM bus tonight, can you guys give me Intel. So far the 5:30 PM bus didn't come and am waiting in the 6:30 PM. Bus #3141 was sitting at the QM1 terminal from 5:45 ish till 6:30 and just disappeared from BusTime.

Edit: 3141 showed up but haven't left 42ns St since 5:50.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 @QM1to6Ave I won't be able to track the 7 PM bus tonight, can you guys give me Intel. So far the 5:30 PM bus didn't come and am waiting in the 6:30 PM. Bus #3141 was sitting at the QM1 terminal from 5:45 ish till 6:30 and just disappeared from BusTime.

The 7 pm ran properly (I was on it tonight). The B/O was a nice guy I've seen occasionally. 

31 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The 7 pm ran properly (I was on it tonight). The B/O was a nice guy I've seen occasionally. 

To sum up 5/7 buses ran tonight with no 5:30 and 6:30 bus.

Better than the 3/7 buses yesterday but not great, hourly service after 5 PM.

35 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Anyone know if the 4PM QM1 showed up?

QM1 today: 16:00, 3162. 16:30, 3196. 17:00, 3220. 17:30, NO BUS. 18:00, 3198.

We contacted David Weprin's office, who has stated that they reached out to the (MTA) and are awaiting a response, but they will be calling for an audit of service.

We also filed a formal complaint noting that PM service has been horrendous now for months.

Just now, Lil 57 said:

Just took the 5:15 PM SIM33C to the city.

Came 10 minutes late but also had a low of 6 people on the bus. We didn't even pick people up at "core" stops such as Richmond/Forest and Narrows Road S/Fingerboard.

Those buses aren't that packed anyway. If anything the later X10s had more people like the 9:00.

QM1 Update (1/24/2019):

Same as yesterday, no 5:30 or 6:30 bus. Since I started tracking the QM1 buses last Thursday, the 5:30 PM and the 6:30 PM buses only showed up once. Meanwhile, the 4:30 PM and the 7 PM buses showed up everyday.

Edited by Lil 57