Bee Line Stop Balancing on Route 13

BM5 via Woodhaven

https://transportation.westchestergov.com/bee-line/route-13-bus-stop-balancing

You may have noticed that your bus stop on the Route 13 is being eliminated or moved. The stop changes on the Route 13 are part of a comprehensive bus stop balancing effort. Bus stop balancing is a best practice in bus transit operations which looks at ridership and stop activity as well as bus stop spacing, and then considers moving/consolidating and reducing stops as needed in order to improve operational efficiencies, reduce delays, improve speeds and move buses faster. Stops being removed had low ridership or were in close proximity to adjacent stops.

When stops are too close together it slows down the ride for everyone. Transit agencies across the country are learning that rebalancing stops reduces bus travel times. These new changes are necessary in order to provide the most efficient system for our passengers.

We take customer satisfaction seriously and will work to preserve high ridership stops, stops with important connections to other transit lines, stops near schools, medical facilities and senior centers.

Download the full list of stops that are part of our rebalancing efforts.

https://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/busbalancing.pdf

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm looking at those stops and the nearest stops, and a lot of them are over 1000 feet. I don't see why most of this is necessary.

If there's a route that needs bus stop consolidation, it's the 20 line (particularly northbound service). We don't need that extra stop right after Yonkers Avenue, nor do we need two stops between Arlington & Tuckahoe Road (just one). Also, something has got to be done about that northbound section between Verona Avenue & Alta Vista Drive. All these little delays & missed lights add up.

8 hours ago, Axis said:

If there's a route that needs bus stop consolidation, it's the 20 line (particularly northbound service). We don't need that extra stop right after Yonkers Avenue, nor do we need two stops between Arlington & Tuckahoe Road (just one). Also, something has got to be done about that northbound section between Verona Avenue & Alta Vista Drive. All these little delays & missed lights add up.

I completely agree but I think they did that because of two reasons

• Northbound traffic is mainly for Westchester residents
  • The Cross County stop is a quicker entry and exit going Northbound than Southbound. As you know, the Southbound loop is in and out of the mall extremely long.

The only thing I do not know is, how the route is in White Plains in both directions.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, junjun441 said:

I completely agree but I think they did that because of two reasons

• Northbound traffic is mainly for Westchester residents
  • The Cross County stop is a quicker entry and exit going Northbound than Southbound. As you know, the Southbound loop is in and out of the mall extremely long.

The only thing I do not know is, how the route is in White Plains in both directions.

- SB 20 does quite well (SB) b/w EJ Conroy & the Galleria alone, nevermind the TransCenter....

- NB 20, buses have a tendency to (almost) empty out at the Transcenter... I'd say 99% of whoever's left on the bus after the Transcenter, are off the bus at Court st,...

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

https://transportation.westchestergov.com/bee-line/route-13-bus-stop-balancing

You may have noticed that your bus stop on the Route 13 is being eliminated or moved. The stop changes on the Route 13 are part of a comprehensive bus stop balancing effort. Bus stop balancing is a best practice in bus transit operations which looks at ridership and stop activity as well as bus stop spacing, and then considers moving/consolidating and reducing stops as needed in order to improve operational efficiencies, reduce delays, improve speeds and move buses faster. Stops being removed had low ridership or were in close proximity to adjacent stops.

When stops are too close together it slows down the ride for everyone. Transit agencies across the country are learning that rebalancing stops reduces bus travel times. These new changes are necessary in order to provide the most efficient system for our passengers.

We take customer satisfaction seriously and will work to preserve high ridership stops, stops with important connections to other transit lines, stops near schools, medical facilities and senior centers.

Download the full list of stops that are part of our rebalancing efforts.

https://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/busbalancing.pdf

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm looking at those stops and the nearest stops, and a lot of them are over 1000 feet. I don't see why most of this is necessary.

I have never been on a BL-13 that didn't crawl between [Ossining & Tarrytown] & between [Port Chester & Rye].... Especially the latter of the two stints, it's maddening.... Last couple times I took a 13 out of Rye, I thought the damn bus was almost out of gas or something... Then magically, when we hit Port Chester, voila - we start flying along Westchester av.....

Regardless, I don't see this as necessary either....

On 10/12/2018 at 11:59 PM, Axis said:

I'm surprised the 20/21 hasn't been a candidate for TSP. I think it would benefit hugely from it.

6 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's the same thing with the 6/6U near the Exit 17 overpass. That signal creates nasty rubbernecking at rush hour.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There is no 6U...

The 6U was discontinued a couple years ago.

Some routes I tend to end up catching when I was never trying to - the 6u falls into this category, and I have never seen anyone in all the times I ended up on that variant get on or off in the Uniontown portion..... Never.

Don't know what prior importance it had way back when, but AFAIC, they should have been gotten rid of that variant....

17 hours ago, Missabassie said:

The 6U was discontinued a couple years ago.

Good to know. I haven't rode the Bee-Line network extensively since that inflated record I mentioned when I first joined. Check my recent status for the correct number. It certainly IS NOT 10K.

I mentioned TSP earlier. Modules have been embedded under NY-119 for the Lower Husdon Transit Link, which started service this Monday.

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Some routes I tend to end up catching when I was never trying to - the 6u falls into this category, and I have never seen anyone in all the times I ended up on that variant get on or off in the Uniontown portion..... Never.

Don't know what prior importance it had way back when, but AFAIC, they should have been gotten rid of that variant....

The 6U acyually provided more service to the people deeper in Hastings since a lot of old folks live there. Ever since it was cut, people have been ranting non stop about it coming back.

Another thing I've noticed, usually back in 2015 and before, those trips via Uniontown or Executive Blvd would either originate from White Plains or Pleasentville and make the whole trip. Now, all these trips via Executive Blvd originate and end in Hastings only.

Archived