Imagine proposing 15% Service Cuts for 2023?

With Ridership still being down as a result of the pandemic, Now is a really good time for the (MTA) to rethink how the money is spent and to rethink what practices need to be reformed or eliminated in order for them to burn less money so that they stop proposing stuff like this:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-mulls-big-service-cuts-despite-fed-bailout-20210721-afkxnz5gjnggzn3e2zcpl4dasy-story.html

I've always been of the mind that one of the drivers behind the borough bus redesigns was this very thing (Cost Savings). At some point, the MTA is going to need to do with way way less managers, less internal staff and the such. 

One thing that'd help is to get back to expanding SBS. Faster buses means carrying more people with less buses. 

On 7/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

With Ridership still being down as a result of the pandemic, Now is a really good time for the (MTA) to rethink how the money is spent and to rethink what practices need to be reformed or eliminated in order for them to burn less money so that they stop proposing stuff like this:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-mulls-big-service-cuts-despite-fed-bailout-20210721-afkxnz5gjnggzn3e2zcpl4dasy-story.html

On 7/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, shiznit1987 said:

I've always been of the mind that one of the drivers behind the borough bus redesigns was this very thing (Cost Savings). At some point, the MTA is going to need to do with way way less managers, less internal staff and the such. 

One thing that'd help is to get back to expanding SBS. Faster buses means carrying more people with less buses. 

I think you're unaware of the fact that the (MTA) is already using far few managers on the Operations side, which is part of the reason why bus service remains poor. Less oversight... More problems... Management is very stressed out these days, as they have far more responsibilities. They can only be so many places at once.

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think you're unaware of the fact that the (MTA) is already using far few managers on the Operations side, which is part of the reason why bus service remains poor. Less oversight... More problems... Management is very stressed out these days, as they have far more responsibilities. They can only be so many places at once.

Fewer rank-and-file want to become managers, because unpaid overtime means taking a pay cut for increased responsibility and stress. 

I’ve been seeing the writing on the wall for quite a while already. The increased wait time for the next train means living on the fringes of the city is less bearable now. Can’t imagine what it would be like to be worse. Definitely moving closer to the core of the city if it still makes sense to do so next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 6:47 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Fewer rank-and-file want to become managers, because unpaid overtime means taking a pay cut for increased responsibility and stress. 

The people I see interested in Management fall into a few categories: The ones who want max vacation time right away, the power hungry, the ambitious and those who want to get off the front lines (for one reason or the other). There's no reward or prestige to going to management, generally...

On 8/2/2021 at 8:23 AM, CenSin said:

I’ve been seeing the writing on the wall for quite a while already. The increased wait time for the next train means living on the fringes of the city is less bearable now. Can’t imagine what it would be like to be worse. Definitely moving closer to the core of the city if it still makes sense to do so next year.

I have not been following the subway situation too closely, as I have mainly been working from home, but I have seen some serious gaps posted on social media. I would imagine that they are combing the lists for the subways as they have been for the express buses, but I am not sure of that, as I have not seen much pressure being exerted.  We have been really pressuring them to hire to fill the gaps in express bus service. I believe the Riders Alliance has been mentioning the subway issues here and there, but not with the same intensity as we have for express bus service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• 1 month later...

The writing's been on the wall for some time now.  Considering the Senate Democrats are willing to cut a deal with the so-called "moderate" wing of the GOP to take transit funding out of the proposed bills, things will probably get worse before they get better.

To be fair though, the MTA really needs to learn how to be more competent with their spending and related priorities regardless of what the funding levels will be.

Edited by R10 2952

4 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

To be fair though, the MTA really needs to learn how to be more competent with their spending and related priorities regardless of what the funding levels will be.

That's tough to do when politicians take money away from the MTA, then ask the MTA to account for it anyway. (They ask "Where did the money go?" when the correct question is "Where did the money not come from?")

10 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

That's tough to do when politicians take money away from the MTA, then ask the MTA to account for it anyway. (They ask "Where did the money go?" when the correct question is "Where did the money not come from?")

That's a totally separate question than "why the hell does Second Avenue Phase II cost $6B when it mostly uses preexisting tunnel", or "Why are we triple overbudget on East Side Access", or "How did the Rockaway study come up with a cost of $8B".

It's not good that funding is being diverting, but dollars at the MTA just don't go very far.