August.... Swan Song For The Old Gens at MaBSTOA?

We are entering August, and this could possibly be the final month of Old Gens in Manhattan. With roughly 55 left in service across the 3 Depots (12 in Manhattanville, roughly 24 in Quill and 27 in Manhattanville) and with newer buses being delivered every week it seems, is this the swan song of possibly one of the more reliable buses in NYC? If so, it's the end of a 19 year era in MaBSTOA (if you include the CNGs in the Bronx).

32 minutes ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

We are entering August, and this could possibly be the final month of Old Gens in Manhattan. With roughly 55 left in service across the 3 Depots (12 in Manhattanville, roughly 24 in Quill and 27 in Manhattanville) and with newer buses being delivered every week it seems, is this the swan song of possibly one of the more reliable buses in NYC? If so, it's the end of a 19 year era in MaBSTOA (if you include the CNGs in the Bronx).

You wrote Manhattanville twice instead of Mother Clara Hale.

6 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

We are entering August, and this could possibly be the final month of Old Gens in Manhattan. With roughly 55 left in service across the 3 Depots (12 in Manhattanville, roughly 24 in Quill and 27 in Mother Clara Hale) and with newer buses being delivered every week it seems, is this the swan song of possibly one of the more reliable buses in NYC? If so, it's the end of a 19 year era in MaBSTOA (if you include the CNGs in the Bronx).

17 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

they aren't as reliable as you think. Their MDBF are terrible compared to other buses

Quill's buses might be there for a little while. Manhattanville can pull off a bus-for-bus replacement, as can MCH, but if they want to retire troublesome NGs at the same time from MV, they might not necessarily move their whole fleet over to Quill.

15 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

They're also not very fun or comfortable to drive based on personal experience...

Would it be the same with the 08-10 NG Hybrids? I've heard that drivers have an easier time with those. Based on that and everything else I've seen and experienced on them, they seem like they're one of the most reliable buses in NYCT. Could that be the reason they're used frequently for driver training?

On 8/2/2021 at 10:01 AM, MHV9218 said:

Quill's buses might be there for a little while. Manhattanville can pull off a bus-for-bus replacement, as can MCH, but if they want to retire troublesome NGs at the same time from MV, they might not necessarily move their whole fleet over to Quill.

Some may go to Queens Village. I don’t think the Brooklyn Division won’t have a need for those Manhattan NG’s unless it’s a depot to depot swap within the BK division. 

What's surprised me about this is how most of the Queens (Bus co) units remain in service (for now) while units of equal or older age are being retired at Transit yet they're the same exact buses. Not surprised that it's LGA and JFK that has the majority. BP and FR are still 100% Old Gens and I suggest anyone reading this make time to get some content before they recieve any NGs or replacements which could happen any day at this rate.

6693, 6724 and 6725 were out today for Manhattanville. MHV is the only depot that has lines serving the upper Manhattan parks, so the opportunity to get an Old Gen in service at Ft Tyron or Ft George is very soon about to be history. I'm surprised the remaining MHV units even made it into August, although in comparison the last few green sign 63/400s held on a little while past the others in 2019.

All of the lower 3500s remain for now. I do wonder if any specific units have not seen service for a while. As someone who grew up with the OGs at LGA it's going to be different not seeing them anymore quite soon.

16 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

What's surprised me about this is how most of the Queens (Bus co) units remain in service (for now) while units of equal or older age are being retired at Transit yet they're the same exact buses. Not surprised that it's LGA and JFK that has the majority. BP and FR are still 100% Old Gens and I suggest anyone reading this make time to get some content before they recieve any NGs or replacements which could happen any day at this rate.

6693, 6724 and 6725 were out today for Manhattanville. MHV is the only depot that has lines serving the upper Manhattan parks, so the opportunity to get an Old Gen in service at Ft Tyron or Ft George is very soon about to be history. I'm surprised the remaining MHV units even made it into August, although in comparison the last few green sign 63/400s held on a little while past the others in 2019.

All of the lower 3500s remain for now. I do wonder if any specific units have not seen service for a while. As someone who grew up with the OGs at LGA it's going to be different not seeing them anymore quite soon.

It's no surprise that Bus Company still has most of their 2006-07 Hybrids while NYCT has already retired most of theirs. Bus Company has only received new standard buses in 2006-07, 2009-10, & 2015. They mostly acquire hand-me-downs from NYCT; they're like the younger sibling company.

15 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Would it be the same with the 08-10 NG Hybrids? I've heard that drivers have an easier time with those. Based on that and everything else I've seen and experienced on them, they seem like they're one of the most reliable buses in NYCT. Could that be the reason they're used frequently for driver training?

The NGs are a definite night and day difference in both handling and pedal response. One of the biggest gripes with the Old Gen model were the brake pedals which require significant more force to get adequate braking power. Operators tend to complain about knee pain afterwards. Having driven a 6600 out of Zerega for an observation drive I can definitely see where they come from...

10 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Today's OG's at Manhattanville working: 6709, 6724, 6725. Those HEV's are coming in like hotcakes. Before the end of this year most of Manhattan will be in the new Cuomo scheme.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:56 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Today's OG's at Manhattanville working: 6709, 6724, 6725. Those HEV's are coming in like hotcakes. Before the end of this year most of Manhattan will be in the new Cuomo scheme.

They already are, basically. I'm now basically focusing on Quill and Hale, because finding those Old Gens are gonna be like finding needles in a haystack.

6700 is still running out of Quill, which is a treat, since that was the first bus in that order to get the new paint scheme (not the vinyl half-ass version the CS fleet got), so it still has the Arial font numbers and old decals like the retired 65xx-66xx fleet.

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

6700 is still running out of Quill, which is a treat, since that was the first bus in that order to get the new paint scheme (not the vinyl half-ass version the CS fleet got), so it still has the Arial font numbers and old decals like the retired 65xx-66xx fleet.

#7688 had the same thing, as well as #5684. Those are my favorite font numbers.

That doesn't mean #6700 hasn't been running without problems lately. Check out my video of this unit: 

Thing sounded like it had a broken engine, and was gonna retire that night. Somehow, it made it!