New Chief

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/nyregion/nyc-subway-chief-richard-davey.html?referringSource=articleShare

New Permanent Chairman/CEO for the (MTA). NY Times Emphasized on the fact he doesn’t own a car….. guess they were trying to make a parallel to Mr. Byford. I wonder what we’re to expect from this guy.

also, how come I’m not able to quote the article from mobile?

12 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I hope he can do something good here , I asked my sources in Boston and they gave him big 👎👎👎 negative vibes

Well that's not good, LOL!  I predicted to my 2 NYCT Supervisor friends that he'd be NYCT Prez for no more than 12 months.  There is a big difference between running Boston's system vs. NY's.  I wonder if he left Boston because of the problems with the late arriving and defect prone new cars for the Orange and Red lines?  Why NYCT can't promote from within is baffling to me.

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Well that's not good, LOL!  I predicted to my 2 NYCT Supervisor friends that he'd be NYCT Prez for no more than 12 months.  There is a big difference between running Boston's system vs. NY's.  I wonder if he left Boston because of the problems with the late arriving and defect prone new cars for the Orange and Red lines?  Why NYCT can't promote from within is baffling to me.

The fact that the NYCT doesn't trust itself in promoting within itself, but would hire someone from someplace else is troubling.

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

He was in charge from 2010-2011 and was state dot secretary 2011-2014 under the Patrick administration

On 3/24/2022 at 10:57 AM, Vulturious said:

The fact that the NYCT doesn't trust itself in promoting within itself, but would hire someone from someplace else is troubling.

I've had bosses at some companies that insisted on only hiring externally for high-up positions, to get out-of-the-box thinking. In my experience, those people usually flamed out because they didn't adapt to the company culture. I think it's much smarter to have a leadership track internally to bring people up from the beginning so they are ready to lead while also knowing the company culture.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

I've had bosses at some companies that insisted on only hiring externally for high-up positions, to get out-of-the-box thinking. In my experience, those people usually flamed out because they didn't adapt to the company culture. I think it's much smarter to have a leadership track internally to bring people up from the beginning so they are ready to lead while also knowing the company culture.

Being able to hire from within is a luxury. Companies only get the necessary loyalty and dedication if they’ve not treated their workforce like disposable adversaries working for slave wages. Judging by the contemporary discussions about labor, companies haven’t been doing that. And if you treat someone like crap, don’t expect them to give the best effort steering the company to great places from high places.

I don’t know what goes on within the MTA rank and file, but the media would have the public believe that the MTA has it tough being a political hacky sack for the city/state government, a money bag for the contractors/workers, and a punching bag for the riding public. I don’t see much spoken about those who actually move the trains or coordinate their movements, but it’s hard to believe that there are no candidates with relevant experience to draw from to lead the subway arm of the MTA.

Edited by CenSin

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

Being able to hire from within is a luxury. Companies only get the necessary loyalty and dedication if they’ve not treated their workforce like disposable adversaries working for slave wages. Judging by the contemporary discussions about labor, companies haven’t been doing that. And if you treat someone like crap, don’t expect them to give the best effort steering the company to great places from high places.

I don’t know what goes on within the MTA rank and file, but the media would have the public believe that the MTA has it tough being a political hacky sack for the city/state government, a money bag for the contractors/workers, and a punching bag for the riding public. I don’t see much spoken about those who actually move the trains or coordinate their movements, but it’s hard to believe that there are no candidates with relevant experience to draw from to lead the subway arm of the MTA.

Your last paragraph sums up my opinion 100%. I’ve been lucky enough to have met some very talented folks in RTO with some great ideas that were never implemented because they weren’t part of the clique in charge at that particular time. My take. Carry on.